JUNE Mamas!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2007, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oonah, thanks. We saw my ds's heartbeat at 6w5d, but I will only be 6w3d this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2007, 10:44 PM

Hi Everyone!
I'd like to add myself to the group. I took a total of 4 tests, all tested positive (first tests were 12 dpo and I took another one this morning). Even before I tested I knew something was different and suspected I was pregnant. This is my first so I am a little nervous that I am wrong. My breasts have been pretty sore for a couple weeks and I had a huge breakout on my chin. I've been a little dizzy also.
My husband and I are so excited! I called for an appt with the midwife yesterday but they didn't want to see me until Nov 5 and they don't run blood work. I guess I just wanted someone to confirm everything. Is that normal or should I call my general practitioner and see if they will give me a blood test?

Thanks for listening!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oonah View Post
i believe it's 6 weeks
but everyone is different
Old 10-02-2007, 11:45 PM

welcome bellydance and congrats!

aisling...fun times all of this going on around ryan's birthday though, i don't want to take attention away from him. he is so sweet :
Old 10-03-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamama2 View Post
Yeah - so many veggie mama's on here! Any vegans? I'm ovo-lacto normally, but I have to cut out dairy and refined sugar when pregnant (does a number on my blood pressure!).
Huh? Really? I am already having an increase in BP. I've never heard this! I am trying to follow the Brewer's Diet, but man that is a LOT of milk.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
Old 10-03-2007, 01:08 AM

Anyone not doing doppler or u/s? We decided to skip it unless there are problems.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan'sMommy View Post
Anyone not doing doppler or u/s? We decided to skip it unless there are problems.
We aren't going to have an ultrasound. Not sure about the doppler though.

I am procrastinating of finding a midwife. We don't have insurance and I am not looking forward to seeing how much I will have to pay out of pocket. I do take comfort in knowing that a midwife will be a tenth of what and OB/GYN would cost.

Someone commented on buying jeans and then finding out they are pregnant. I did the same thing. Normally I shop off of the clearance rack, but this time I paid full price for a nice par of jeans to last though the cold weather. With the unseasonably high temps. we are having here I won't be able to wear my jeans at all I also bought some cute wool sweaters at full price- probably won't be able to wear those much either I was just starting to get out of my mommy slump and wear something other than yoga pants and tees. Oh well.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
Old 10-03-2007, 02:11 AM

Hi all, and welcome bellydancer and the other new folks! I'm also a bellydancer, and have been dancing, teaching and performing for 25 years now. We've got a dance tribe in the finding your tribe area, but it's been kind of quiet.
I'm currently lacto-ovo veg. (well, I eat some hard cheeses, anyway). I was working on transitioning to being vegan, but I think right now I'll keep a bit of dairy in my diet until after the little one gets here.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
Old 10-03-2007, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athansor View Post
Hi all, and welcome bellydancer and the other new folks! I'm also a bellydancer, and have been dancing, teaching and performing for 25 years now. We've got a dance tribe in the finding your tribe area, but it's been kind of quiet.
Oh hey, you are a good person to ask my questions then! I have been doing BD classes - just an hour a week - for a couple of months now. It is Okay to continue right? Anything I should avoid? Im no where near performance ready *G* and I want to continue the class for as long as I am comfortable with it, then pick it back up whenever I am ready to after baby comes.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:16 AM

Aisling you can continue as long as it is comfortable to you. I always recommend that pregnant moms continue whatever they have already been doing (I'm a childbirth educator-The Bradley Method). If it gets to be too much then try a different exercise. hth
Old 10-03-2007, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
Awesome!! Looks like it's doubling every 2.4 days. That's within the normal range. I will say a prayer for you that this pregnancy sticks!!
Okay, lemme see... My HCG was 87 last Friday. So from Friday to Saturday, Saturday to Sunday would have been 48 hours and my HCG should have doubled by Sunday to 174. It should have doubled again by Tuesday (yesterday) to 348. So on Monday it should have been 174+87 = 261 and it was 270. So that is a little more than doubling every 2 days, right? Sorry to micro-analyze. I'm just trying to assure myself that everything is going great now!

Funny you all should mention vegetarianism. I was a vegetarian for 16 years, but have had trouble keeping weight on recently despite a very balanced, protein rich diet. I was desperate to have a healthy pregnancy this time and so started eating free range chicken and turkey after my m/c in July. I actually gained some weight. But I am still 10 lbs below where I should be so I've got some work to do still. I feel badly about eating some meat now, but I know that I will go back to vegetarianism after having a baby.

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a homeschooling SAHM to Annabelle 8/02 and Willem 12/08!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulips11 View Post
I should know this since we've done this so many times...but does anyone remember how early you can generally expect to see a heartbeat on transvaginal u/s? Thanks!
I have read that if you have a tilted uterus, which often happens after you have had a baby, then they may have trouble seeing or accurately measuring the baby. But later on when they look again, they will see that everything is just fine:About a missing baby on the ultrasound or being told you are one to two weeks behind Unfortunately blighted ova are all too common but also commonly misdiagnosed. If you are ten weeks or so and under and are told you may have an anembryonic pregnancy (aka blighted ovum), you need to ask if you have a tilted uterus (aka retroverted or tipped uterus). Women often do not know they have a tilted uterus and doctors rarely mention it because it is so common. If you have a tilted uterus, you have a good chance that your baby will be seen a bit later and you will probably be told you are one to two weeks behind. However, during the second trimester when the uterus is back in a more normal position, your dates will be right on again. This happens alot and is very common. If you do not have a tilted uterus, babies are generally seen by 8 to 9 weeks. With a tilted uterus, women report seeing their babies any time between 7 to 11 weeks with an occasional case after 11 weeks... fromhttp://www.pregnancy-info.net/QA/ans..._progesterone/

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a homeschooling SAHM to Annabelle 8/02 and Willem 12/08!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesapeakeBorn View Post
I am still scared about the possibility of an ectopic and worried that something may have happened to the embryo when my levels dropped.
Chesapeake, one possibility is that you started out with twins and one didn't make it. That would knock your hcg levels around in odd ways. So it may very well have had no effect whatsoever on your babe.

Good luck and I hope you see a healthy baby on the u/s!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:06 PM

Hello! I'd like to join the forming June DDC. I got a BFP last Thursday, 16 DPO, after 12 cycles of ttc #1. The calculators put my due date around June 5th. Looking forward to getting to know you all over the coming months!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan'sMommy View Post
Yup, we are not going to do it either, unless there is some indication.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:48 PM

CNutty - We're going to skip the ultrasound and doppler unless medically indicated too - going to ask the midwives to use a fetalscope until labor. I get more conservative about how much western medicine I am willing to use with each pregnancy!

Dylan'sMom - it took me until 1/2 way through my 2nd pregnancy to figure out that dairy was contributing to my high blood pressure. I was induced with my first at 37 weeks because of pre-E, which it turned out, I did not have, just hypertension. When it started going up during my second pregnancy I went to an accupuncturist who changed my diet and treated me. I'm hoping to do it just through diet this time, but I will get accupuncture if I need it. I'm a little sensitive to dairy normally,stomach upsets, that kind of thing. When I'm pregnant, I think my body just can't handle it - who knows why? I did some research and found out that it does raise blood pressure in some people. I'm just glad I'm starting from a good place diet-wise this time! Nettle tea is also suppose to help. I've read that on The Farm (vegan commune famous for it's midwife - Ina May Gaskin) they have incredibly low rates of Pre-E and hypertension, and I'm sure it has to do with their vegan diet.

Meeting with some homebirth midwives tomorrow - I'm so excited! My first dd was a transfer at 37 weeks, so a hospital birth (and a really awful one) and my second dd was a fantastic birth center birth, so now we're going for a homebirth. Yeah! I'm excited to plan a home water-birth.

Good wishes to all - and can I say I just bought new jeans 2 weeks ago too? Well now I'll have a nice new pair to wear when I finally get back to my pre-pregnancy weight next fall (hopefully by next fall!).

Namaste.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:23 PM

Hi all... I had another beta hcg test this morning. It rose to 1003.7 so that means it more than doubled in 48 hours. I'm 19 dpo (4 weeks, 5 days) today. I'm so relieved. I was worried because of my lack of symptoms. This reassures me but I know we aren't out of the woods yet.

We do choose to have ultrasounds in our pregnancies because of my history of ectopic pg, miscarriages, and because of a rare genetic syndrome that my dh has that is autosomal dominant (every time we conceive we have a 50/50 chance of passing it down). The syndrome only effects the body in a physical way, not a mental way and is usually not life-threatening. Nevertheless, the ultrasounds are important to us in ruling out any major heart defects and such.

One little symptom I am having though is that my pants are now snug after meals from bloating - so that is new.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:25 PM

Okay. I really should stop obsessing. HOW do I stop obsessing?!?! Anyways, here is the latest info I found on hCG levels (look at the range!) and u/s timin, etc. This one really made me feel better. At least during my hCG drop, my baby had a yoke sac to nourish it!

Week 5 - Gestational Age (Fetal age 3 weeks)

Development:
The gestational sac is often the first thing that most transvaginal ultrasounds can detect at about 5 weeks. This is seen before a recognizable embryo can be seen. Within this week, at about week 5 ½ to the beginning of the 6th week, a yolk sac can be seen inside the gestational sac. The yolk sac will be the earliest source of nutrients for the developing fetus.

Hormones:
Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) levels can have quite a bit of variance at this point. Anything from 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml is considered normal at 5 weeks. Once the levels have reached at least 2000, some type of development is expected to be seen in the uterus using high resolution vaginal ultrasound. If using a transabdominal ultrasound, some type of development should be seen when the hCG level has reached 3600 mIU/ml. Although development may be seen earlier, these levels provide a guide of when something is expected to be seen.

from: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...evelopment.htm

Someone, take my computer away!

Tulip - congrats on the rising hCG!!!

Old 10-03-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellydance2290 View Post
Is that normal or should I call my general practitioner and see if they will give me a blood test?
Nah, HPT are extremely accurate. If you absolutely cannot stand NOT having a blood test, you could call. But that's just added stress you do not need. Look at your BFPs, look at the absence of menses in your underwear, and just imagine the good stuff going on inside you.

One reason to wait until 8 weeks or so, is that when you see the heartbeat (or hear it), the chance for miscarriage drops dramatically. Before that, seeing/hearing the HB is possible, but not as likely as at 8 weeks (just like it's possible to get a BFP at 10 dpo, but better at 13).

Welcome, this is a huge wonderful waiting game. My first appointment is on Oct. 29 - I'll be 8.5 weeks. I'm excited to see the u/s, and talk about all the tests I don't want done. This will, most likely, be my last pregnancy, so I'm just going to enjoy every second.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:20 PM

Hi everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome. MDC is such a great community!

athansor- glad to hear there is another bellydancer around. I have been dancing for a couple years, nothing professional, just a fun hobby. I plan on continuing throughout my pregnancy. I've heard that is actually good preparation for birth!

francesa - thank you for your advice. I guess I just want someone to confirm it but 4 BFP should do it. LOL!

My husband and I are still somewhat in shock that I became pregnant so fast. One thing that I am a little nervous about is that my Mom will be here next Thursday and I think I am going to tell her then. I am not that close with her and we don't always see eye to eye, but she will know something is up when I am not drinking at all. I thought about lying and saying that I thought I was coming down with something but I think she will be excited if I tell her in person. I just wish I was going to the doctor before she was coming.
Any cute ideas on how to tell her that I am pregnant? I was thinking of getting her something, like a Grandma frame or something and seeing if she will get it. I am an only child so this will be pretty exciting for her.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:36 PM

When we told my in-laws we were expecting our DS we gave them 'I love my Grandma' and 'I love my Grandpa' bibs and a card that said congrats on becoming a grandparent. (or something like that).

When we told them this weekend we are expecting our 2nd I made a shirt for DS that said "I'm going to be a big brother". It took all of 2 mintues for them to read it. It was fun.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesapeakeBorn View Post
Okay. I really should stop obsessing. HOW do I stop obsessing?!?!
I have no advice but I've btdt and know what you're going through.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:02 PM

Chesapeakeborn, can you not request an early ultrasound and/or additional bloodwork?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellydance2290 View Post
Hi Everyone!
I'd like to add myself to the group. I took a total of 4 tests, all tested positive (first tests were 12 dpo and I took another one this morning). Even before I tested I knew something was different and suspected I was pregnant. This is my first so I am a little nervous that I am wrong. My breasts have been pretty sore for a couple weeks and I had a huge breakout on my chin. I've been a little dizzy also.
My husband and I are so excited! I called for an appt with the midwife yesterday but they didn't want to see me until Nov 5 and they don't run blood work. I guess I just wanted someone to confirm everything. Is that normal or should I call my general practitioner and see if they will give me a blood test?

Thanks for listening!
A blood test might be anticlimactic for you now after 4 positive hpts!!!
You're pregnant!!! congratulations!!!

It's not uncommon to skip bloodwork and wait 8+ weeks to be seen by a mw or ob.

congratulations again!!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:48 PM

Hi everypne -
I just wanted to pop in to say goodbye to everyone. I am having a miscarriage right now :
I wish you all the best!
Old 10-04-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotwo View Post
Hi everypne -
I just wanted to pop in to say goodbye to everyone. I am having a miscarriage right now :
I wish you all the best!
I'm so sorry mama.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:42 AM

Does anyone scare super easily? I had forgotten that when I was pregnant with DS I was like that. DH will walk up behind me and tap me and I FREAK out. It is so scary. He isn't even that quiet about it, so strange!

Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 AM

so sorry to hear that mama
Old 10-04-2007, 02:29 AM

Is it normal to get cramps starting in your back? I had this strange cramp that started in back and it didn't less more than a minute. I haven't had anymore, though. It was odd and out of no where. I am not sure what to think of it.

According to my calculations, the EDD is June 4th. I have been breastfeeding for almost a year, and still haven't gotten my first pp period, so I can't really use the date of my LMP. I am waiting to take another pregnancy test, but I know I am pregnant. There's no doubt in my mind. =)

TIA =)
Old 10-04-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotwo View Post
Hi everypne -
I wish you all the best!
I'm so sorrys:

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::

User Tag List