When to see MW, and what to expect - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-15-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When should I make an appointment with my midwife? I am only 13 dpo, is it too early? I would really like to see her just to assuage my fears and also to get any diagnostic work done, like a blood test. I am not sure what to expect this early on.

Just wondering what everyone else is doing....

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#2 of 10 Old 10-15-2007, 01:23 PM

I was wondering the exact same thing
#3 of 10 Old 10-15-2007, 01:26 PM

A lot of MWs will do an initial interview with you. I am just 4 weeks and I had an appointment with mine last Wednesday just to answer questions and make sure she still had openings for June. She then said that it will probably be at least another month before we start "real" appointments. I would say go ahead and call!
#4 of 10 Old 10-15-2007, 01:36 PM

Go ahead and call.

This'll be the second time I've used the same midwife, so she knows me. Heck, the assistant midwife who was at the office when I came to pee on a stick of theirs (I didn't fully trust the dollar store one as I was still in shock) asked if I was still at the same house (homebirth).

They do first appointments around 12 weeks, so my appt won't be until mid to late November.

Mine doesn't do bloodwork until later on in the pregnancy. I forget, but I want to say around 20+ weeks or so. She's very good at guiding and being hands on or hands off depending on what you need/want, it's great. I also don't feel the need to shell out $50 to know that my hcg levels are going up, but I'm not a first-timer. I've also got the mindset of "if it happens it happens" in regards to miscarriage. I don't have to like it if it happens, but it won't be the end of the world to us, you know?

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#5 of 10 Old 10-15-2007, 02:24 PM

not in your DDC, but i can answer this...

i just went to my first MW appt last week(8 weeks) thet did a pg test just to be sure, checked my uterus (looking good) answered any questions i had, scheduled a u/s for later this week so i can see the heart beat, and drew blood to do a CBC. that's it. it was great!

HTH
congratulations!

#6 of 10 Old 10-15-2007, 03:09 PM

It depends totally and completely on your provider. I just asked a bunch of friends on another board this question, and came up with as many answers as there were women. Some providers like to see you right away, do either a urine or blood test to confirm the pregnancy, etc. Others set up a dating u/s for between 6 and 9 weeks, along with a first appointment. And some of my friends just went when they felt like it was a good time, maybe even 16 or 20 weeks along.

I called and made an appointment with our local birth center today, and I'll be seen the week before Thanksgiving, when I'll be 10 weeks along. I'm not sure what they'll do then since I transfered there mid-pregnancy with DS. So nothing until then! Much different than my first pregnancy, when I had been seeing an RE and had the whole 48-hour hcg draws and two early u/s (6 and 9 weeks). So I'm just going on faith, and although I'd like the reassurance of a blood test or something, I just remember that it really wasn't too long ago that all women just waited to see what would happen.
#7 of 10 Old 10-15-2007, 04:05 PM

It never hurts to call! I think it's important to have a number to call if you have any questions meantime. My MW wants me to call back around 13 weeks to start monthly appointments at 16 weeks. I think that's pretty typical for normal, healthy pregnancies, both home and hospital.
#8 of 10 Old 10-15-2007, 06:20 PM

How much does a midwife usually cost.. because i'm not completely sure i will be covered by my current insurance
#9 of 10 Old 10-15-2007, 06:21 PM

YoungMama08, are you wondering what a homebirth or hospital MW costs? Most hospital MW's should be covered by your insurance. In most states, a homebirth MW is not covered. I believe our last birth was around $3,000. That did not include tub rental (although I had a free rental last time).
#10 of 10 Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylahroo View Post
YoungMama08, are you wondering what a homebirth or hospital MW costs? Most hospital MW's should be covered by your insurance. In most states, a homebirth MW is not covered. I believe our last birth was around $3,000. That did not include tub rental (although I had a free rental last time).

oh okay.. i'm planning on a home birth.. my mom just used the same midwife i plan on about 5 months ago at home.. and the insurance covered it. so hopefully im still covered with them. if not i better start saving..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page