Raspberry Leaf tea - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-15-2007, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, after buying a box of raspberry leaf tea I got to wondering if the lush patch of raspberries I have growing in the back yard could be dried into tea. Does anyone know if it has to be a specific type of raspberry plant to do the trick?

Thanks,
anja's ma
#2 of 9 Old 10-15-2007, 11:21 PM

I owned a birth video once that interweaved the benefits of RRL tea into the narrative. I think I got it from Compleat Mother. Now I haven't had that magazine for 5+ yrs and I can't remember anything ab the harvest, but maybe you could check in that direction.

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student
#3 of 9 Old 10-16-2007, 06:58 AM

hmm, I thought it was beneficial later in pregnancy, but not earlier?
I probably don't know what I'm talking about

it would be really cool if you could make your own tea!
#4 of 9 Old 10-16-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

There are some conflicting theories about the safety of raspberry leaf tea in the first trimester, though some say it is a mc preventer. My main reason for asking the question now though is that we are going to have a hard frost here any time, and I thought I would pick all the green leaves that are out there before that happens. I did a little poking around on the internet, and it looks like I can make my own, so I'm off to raid the raspberry patch!
#5 of 9 Old 10-16-2007, 01:04 PM

I think there's a difference between "raspberry tea" and "red raspberry LEAF tea". Raspberry tea is just the berries/juice whatever dried into tea and the LEAF tea is the actual leaves-not the berries. I don't think it even tastes like raspberries. JMO.

Part-Time WOHM/Full-Time WAHM to 2 little sweeties PEANUT(2yo) & BUGS(8mos)
Check out my Homepage!:
#6 of 9 Old 10-16-2007, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

I think there's a difference between "raspberry tea" and "red raspberry LEAF tea". Raspberry tea is just the berries/juice whatever dried into tea and the LEAF tea is the actual leaves-not the berries. I don't think it even tastes like raspberries. JMO.

Yes that's true. Raspberry tea usually has other ingredients like hibiscus and tastes very sort of fruity. Raspberry Leaf tea however does not taste particularly good. It's medicinal though, and known for "toning" the uterus.

anja's ma
#7 of 9 Old 10-16-2007, 05:32 PM

All I know is it helped me go into labor with my first when my DOc was threatening and induction- makes me nervous to try too early in pregnancy, but I am really not very knowledgable about it.
#8 of 9 Old 10-17-2007, 02:31 PM

my mom brought some red raspberry leaves to me all the way across the country when I was pg with my first. I had to mix it half and half with store bought raspberry tea (said "leaf" in the title, but it was pretty far down on the list of ingredients) in order for it to be palatable. So yes, you can make your own and it's a lot more beneficial that way, but doesn't taste very good. My mom dried her leaves in a food dehydrator, fwiw.
#9 of 9 Old 10-17-2007, 06:27 PM

RRLT does not cause you to go into labor - if you went into labor after drinking it, it was a happy coincidence. RRLT is a smooth muscle toner - the uterus is a smooth muscle. RRLT has a ton of great easily digested vitamens and minerals - a good reason to drink it any time.

As far as its safety during the 1st tri - I've read so many different things. I definately wouldn't drink it in the 1st tri if I had ever miscarried before. I personally prefer caffienated tea during the 1st tri (right now my fav is green tea). It gives me a little perk and is good for me. I only have 1-2 cups a day though.

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page