bella bands vs. knock-offs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-15-2007, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've tried searching, but haven't come up with much. Have any of you tried the bella band knockoffs on ebay? One person (in my search) said hers was itchy, but others said they liked theirs. There are several wahms who make them, so I don't know who to trust. I stayed in regular wear with #1 until 18-20 weeks, but didn't even bother with the rubberband trick the second time around - straight to maternity at 12 weeks. So far, so good, but I don't hold out much hope to last beyond 10 weeks this time around. These bands look like a great idea, but I don't want to pay the bella band prices.
#2 of 11 Old 10-15-2007, 10:58 PM

I want one too! I am predicting 8 weeks into different clothes for me it was 8-10 weeks with my first one so.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#3 of 11 Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 PM

I'm curious, too. I swear I've seen them on the TP or in a co-op somewhere, but no idea where.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#4 of 11 Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 AM

I didn't even know there WERE knock-offs! I'm going to try to hunt some down. I wasn't in maternity with my first until about 18 weeks either, my 2nd it was 13 weeks, and I'm now at 7 weeks and my pants are starting to get tight - and I haven't gained any weight yet either. I'm hoping the bands will get me through until 13/14 weeks. I did get one used on diaperswappers.com, but I haven't had any luck finding any lately (of course!).

Anyone know which WAHMs make them?

Namaste.
#5 of 11 Old 10-16-2007, 01:11 PM

I read that another mama on here went out and bought a cheapo cami tant top type thing and cut it off right below the boobs and used that like you would a bella band. I think it would work. She said she just bought one that was a little snug and since it's cotton, it doesn't even need to be sewn. It won't fray in the wash.

I thought it was a neat idea to save a couple of bucks. And how cheap, you could buy a couple of different colors even.

Part-Time WOHM/Full-Time WAHM to 2 little sweeties PEANUT(2yo) & BUGS(8mos)
Check out my Homepage!:
#6 of 11 Old 10-16-2007, 02:14 PM

Has anyone tried the actual belly band? I'm both a fan of "you get what you pay for" and for supporting the original design so I'd like to hear from someone who actually has used the original. I'd love to get as much use out of my current jeans as possible! I love my Luckies! LOL!
#7 of 11 Old 10-16-2007, 04:20 PM

I've been doing a bit of research about these as well - I've come across about 4 different brands - one is only sold on ebay and have so far read that is the best. I was lucky last 2 preg. as I didn't need to adjust clothes until around 4 months. I just googled each name brand and came across some other boards in which these were 'tested'. They were also best used with low rise jeans I believe. I tried making one out of cotton last preg. but couldn't get it to work. I think I'm going to order the one from ebay later this week to have on hand when the time comes around. I'm thinking it will be especially good after baby when transitioning into reg. clothes and for covering the tummy during nursing w/o blanket as it will be HOT those first few months!
#8 of 11 Old 10-16-2007, 04:25 PM

I bought a knock-off Band on e-bay during my last pregnancy. I didn't think it was that great. It didn't hold my pants up- too loose. I was never big enough for it to even be snug around my body, it would shimmy its way down my trunk after a few hours. When I bought it I imagined it would be a stretchy cotton tube, but this one was not stretchy at all. This time I will definitely shell out the few extra $$ and buy the name brand one.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#9 of 11 Old 10-16-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylahroo View Post
Has anyone tried the actual belly band? I'm both a fan of "you get what you pay for" and for supporting the original design so I'd like to hear from someone who actually has used the original. I'd love to get as much use out of my current jeans as possible! I love my Luckies! LOL!
I used the original Bella Band with my last pregnancy, and LOVED it. Bella BandI ended up paying about $18 plus shipping on Ebay for mine.

It's snug .. you wear your pants/skirts/shorts unbuttoned, and the band holds the item in place, so you don't stand up and lose your bottoms. I wore mine until I got too big for my regular clothes entirely.
You can also wear it over maternity pants that are too big, or post-partum.

I considered buying a knock-off ... but wasn't sure how well it would work ....

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#10 of 11 Old 10-16-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Good feedback, ladies! I emailed a few friends and one is sending me two Bella Bands (she's now a few months PP) and the other has a couple knock-offs. So I can test both - yay! I really like the idea of wearing it PP for nursing. I don't like revealing tons of skin (all that excess stuff still trying to figure out how to contract back down) and most of my shirts are rather fitted. So the nurse/shield thing has it's perks in my eyes. Fun!
#11 of 11 Old 10-17-2007, 04:29 PM

I broke down and ordered a Bella Band off of ebay yesterday. I tried on the one I bought 2nd hand and it's snug, but not tight, and I think it will work. Plus I may start using them in the next 2 weeks if this bloating keeps up, so I thought it was probably worth the money to buy the black. So now I have a black and a white. If they work really well I may go back for another color or 2 to use post-partum as well! I looked at the knock-off on ebay and it talks about covering the belly, but it doesn't actually say it's meant to hold up unbuttoned pants, so I'm guessing it might not be tight enough - not for what I'm looking for. I saw 2 size 2's on diaperswappers.com a day or 2 ago, green and pink, I think - if anyone wants to try to hunt those down they may still be available. Good luck to everyone!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page