How are you dealing with your toddler? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-16-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going INSANE. I just have so little patience. Today is a no nap day (AKA HELL!!!) I am so so tired all the time I can barely function. Please tell me I'm not the only one having trouble.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#2 of 22 Old 10-16-2007, 06:42 PM

Um, you mean not every one else lays on the couch with a blanket, puts a movie in the DVD player and lets their kids run rampant through the main level of the house? That's been my MO lately more than I care to admit.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#3 of 22 Old 10-16-2007, 06:48 PM

right now? letting him nurse on and off as much as he wants even though my nipples are a bit sore
I was literally falling asleep reading him books, so when he asked to nurse I was more than happy to have him distracted for a while

um, yeah, if I'm as tired this time as I was last, it's not going to be easy! thankfully he's a pretty good napper, still takes 2 naps most days actually (at 14.5 months)
but I can't nap, it makes me feel really horrible aftewards
so I'll be trying to force myself to go to bed early
in fact, my goal tonight is bed by 8:30 (DS wakes up at 5)...but I also want to knit a hat for my friend's baby, so we'll see
#4 of 22 Old 10-16-2007, 06:56 PM

Oh, I'm relying heavily on my DH when he's home. By the evening I'm SHOT both patience wise and energy/motivation wise. I am working hard to not be the Mom I was last time I was pg (eh - that's bad that I can say that) with ZERO patience... but sometimes I have to hand the youngest to DH or pretend I don't hear the howling of our middle son (yet for the 100th time that day). I think my youngest is getting molars too and NONE of them slept well last night - so we've had weepy, crabby, picky boys today.

Fun?
Aghhh!

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#5 of 22 Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 PM

Lots, and LOTS of kisses.
#6 of 22 Old 10-16-2007, 07:35 PM

My favorite time of day is when my older kids get home from school and watch the toddler while I lay down! I just got up from a 45-minute catnap and it was wonderful! I'm also going to bed very early (sometimes as early as 8:30, with the toddler again). She still naps most days, but often times, not for much more than an hour. A bit of a break, enough to eat lunch by myself, but never enough to get a rest in.
#7 of 22 Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

I just feel so bad when I am short with him. I find myself telling him I am sorry so many times a day. I just feel awful about it. I am so glad that I am not the only one! DS is NOT a good sleeper, so that doesn't help much!

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#8 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Um, you mean not every one else lays on the couch with a blanket, puts a movie in the DVD player and lets their kids run rampant through the main level of the house? That's been my MO lately more than I care to admit.
yup .. same here, too ....
Although, I have to add that she wants to nurse 562 times per day, also.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#9 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
yup .. same here, too ....
Although, I have to add that she wants to nurse 562 times per day, also.
That is so HILARIOUS- I laughed out loud when I read all this (from relief that I'm not alone in this!!) because that's exactly what I was going to write today.... OHHHHHH MAN. Thank you for sharing that Reality slice. I felt so bad when dh came home I was crying because I didn't want to play or nurse or even be in the room with ds.. who is such a little sweetheart and says "I sick too"
And.. anyone else feeling absolutely vomitous just smelling a wet/poopy nappy? Ds came in to me this morning (to the room where I've banished myself since from the family bed because I don't want anyone touching me in the night) saying "Mummy, poo poo." Oh, good morning! Yargh!
It makes it all so much easier to know I'm not the only mama in the world going through this RIGHT NOW. We are doing the best we can! Our best looks really different right now, but it's what we can do. Trying to stay in today with my thoughts really helps too. When I feel myself worrying about being able to handle this life, this new baby, I think HANG ON! That's 8 months from now. I'll handle that day when it gets here. Today I'll handle.. choosing a good show for ds to watch so I can rest.. and breathing through my mouth only so I don't smell anything nasty... and letting this blah time just Be. It will pass!

As dh said today "You have to look after yourself! Put in that DVD and stop feeling guilty about it!"
Anyone know any good guilt-erasing mantras?

Love to all
Thinking of you

E
#10 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
:
#11 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madds5 View Post
Ds came in to me this morning (to the room where I've banished myself since from the family bed because I don't want anyone touching me in the night) saying "Mummy, poo poo." Oh, good morning! Yargh!

UGH. DS does this, too (although he doesn't SAY it, but brings a fresh diaper to me.) And when I tell him to "go get Daddy," I hear a little "no."

What, do I change poopy diapers better than Daddy? Maybe Daddy needs more practice!

So far, I think my biggest thing is that I've been SO SHORT with them. I'll answer the same question two or three times, and then (when it comes the inevitable fourth time) I snap at them. At least with DD, that doesn't deter her at all.

Hey, anybody got that mantra for me, too?
#12 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 05:00 PM

I feel so bad, like I'm not as good of a mom as I was a few moths ago. I'm just so tired and sick all of the time. Today, it was time for his nap, which is my nap as well, and he just refused. I usually put him in the sling and rock him and he falls asleep. Today, he screamed and hit and then I lost it and screamed at him. I feel so horrible. I told him I'm sorry and feel bad because I'm sure that I scared him. I'm his mommy and I don't want him to be afraid of me or to think that I would hurt him. This isn't me. I don't like this mean, short-tempered mom that I am becoming. He is still so little and I don't want to resort to yelling. I came from a house were yelling and hitting were the norm and I hate it. I feel like I am becoming my mother and I always swore that I would never be like her. I just feel so bad. I wish I could rewind the day and just do it different:.
#13 of 22 Old 10-19-2007, 02:11 PM

My toddlers are a little older but I have 3 of them (twins almost 2, ds2 is almost 3) and I think what is getting me through the day is spending as much time outside as possible. The fresh air helps my tiredness & yucky tummy and they get worn out & sleep well!

I am not doing well at all with their meals right now b/c food is starting to make me feel blah!
#14 of 22 Old 10-19-2007, 02:39 PM

I've been letting my daughter run rampant while I surf the net. THen I'll clean up when I get a burst of energy ...if it every comes. We have been taking some walks lately too. I'll give myself another 20 minutes and we're off to visit folks and walk to the grocery store. I havent felt like the best of Mum lately but I'm not gonna beat myself up over a little bit of rest. We're growin babies here. A little rest will does some good :P
#15 of 22 Old 10-19-2007, 05:04 PM

It's been rough here too. I am a nanny for 7 hours a day with my DS2 and a high needs four year old. I expend all my energy at work, so when I am home I sit and do nothing. My house is not too pretty and the kids dinners have been sub par. At least I know this should only last for about six more weeks.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#16 of 22 Old 10-19-2007, 05:30 PM

Yeah, this is one of those situations where I'm glad I work outside the home. Not that I don't LOVE my toddler, but it's good to have several hours of adult human time where I don't have a little pair of hands trying to lift my shirt up to nurse Honestly, I don't think I could be a full-time SAHM - I think I'd go insane. Ideally, I'd work about 20 hours a week.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#17 of 22 Old 10-20-2007, 12:00 AM

I work full time and then come home and I have to cook dinner (3-4 nights a week and my p does the rest). Then I lay on the couch while ds plays and climbs all over me until 730....then bath and bed for him, dishes and bed for me. My partner has been really good about playing with him after supper too.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#18 of 22 Old 10-20-2007, 12:51 AM

DH is no help- in fact he wants me night weaning right now which as made for some very sleepless nights! Ugh! AND our DVD player just broke, which is certain situations is normally a real life saver- sometimes you just need a half an hour to yourself while DS watched Veggie Tales, well, not any more! Dang!
#19 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 12:00 AM

I'm with you here! I'm sure DD is wondering why Mama wants to sit on the couch and snuggle all.the.time. Nursing is getting more and more sore too, but DD shows no signs of slowing.
#20 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 12:23 AM

These last few days have been very hard with us as well.
#21 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 12:58 AM

Oh my gosh the last few days have been he**. He's got a cold and I think teething so he's finicky, crying, clingy, whining - UGH!!!!

I am not doing well in the patience department AT ALL. My DH thinks it's a girl b/c I'm "not happy a lot". SIGH.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#22 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 12:58 AM

Everything is going well here. My little spirited girl has been very into the idea of a baby in my belly. She keeps saying "baby boy" and I'm like "noooo let's hope it's a baby girl, ok??" hahahaha

Doula mama to artistic DD and monster DS. #3 on the way!
HAVE YOU HEARD OF SQUAT ANARCHIST BIRTH JOURNAL YET?? IF NOT, GOOGLE IT!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page