It's kind of funny...I thought I really wanted a girl, but - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
all I know are boys. Seriously. The IDEA of a little girl is great...I picture her being all horse crazy like me...but then something totally stupid hits me upside the head and I find myself wondering if I'm crazy.

Wait. I already know I'm crazy, for deliberately getting pregnant again. : What I mean is...I see something like a commercial for some Barbie Princess throne with removable tiara and jewels and little pink tutu (um, ick?) and try to picture myself raising a girly girl who loves dolls and dress up...trying not to get killed in this house of boys...and it just doesn't compute.

Or like last night, Noah and I were taking a shower, and I was shampooing his cute little short haircut...and I was overcome with a memory of me on my knees in my mother's bathroom, crying while she dragged a brush through my tangled hair and smacking my skull with it if I twitched too much.

If I have a girl, do you think my husband will let me clipper her hair like the boys? What if I refuse to buy Barbie? What if I so completely suck at raising a girl?? I have never even changed a girl's diaper!!

Now watch me end up with another boy. At this point, I think a boy would be great.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-16-2007, 10:07 PM

I am so with you. I know my boys, what's another one, you know? Plus it's easier to squish them all in the same bedroom if they're the same sex (we pretty much only use the bedrooms for sleep, diaper changes and crap storage - play is always downstairs). Which means Grandma can come up and visit a lot more often (and help me out with kid patrol!) if the guest room is still the guest room and not a girl room.

Although if this next one is a girl, I kind of pity her because she'd have two older brothers (yay for us, dating'll be a nightmare for her!) and she'll be wearing fire trucks and puppies and cars and ducks until at least size 2T.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#3 of 12 Old 10-16-2007, 10:40 PM

Lol! You guys are cracking me up!! I have THREE boys so if this is a girl - she'll be able to hold her own in any event all her life.

If it's a boy - well, join the crowd!

I won't know what to do with a girl, but it'd be kinda fun to figure it out. Some new parts to diaper, I don't know! All I know is the world of Transformers and their boy part grabbing and their 'hysterical' fart jokes and stuff like that - it only seems fair that I'd know at least one teeny weeny way of bows and hair clippies and skirts and Mary Janes... right??

Yeah, I don't care - but it'd be a trip, that's for sure.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#4 of 12 Old 10-16-2007, 11:40 PM

I thought about his a lot because I did not tell anyone in my last pregnancy that I desperately wanted a girl. I had no visions of pink, princess or anything girly at all. I wanted a little girl like me- (a big tomboy) even at 32. When I found out I was pregnant with a healthy girl it was the happiest moment in my life next to her birth. WHY??? I think now its about me more than her. I wanted to raise a daughter the way I had wished to be raised and in a way correct my past. I now will truly be happy with either sex. Im blessed to have a child at all. I am committed to not putting my children in boxes and i am open to who ever they become because of or in spite of their gender.
Chris
#5 of 12 Old 10-16-2007, 11:40 PM

I know what you mean... I have a boy and the idea of a girl is fun, but I "get" boys. DH, on the other hand, very much wants a girl. He has 2 brothers and figures this is about his only chance to learn about girls growing up in his entire life. Plus, I kinda think having a sister is good for a boy - gives him a little reality check when he sees that pair of underwear that she was soaking in the sink and forgot to take out when she left (at least, I'm sure that was the case with my brother! oops)

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#6 of 12 Old 10-16-2007, 11:47 PM

I'm SO THERE.

I can't imagine a girl. I would not be a good girl mom. I NEED BOYS! DH doesn't get it.

about the diaper thing. I thought the EXACT same thing! What you have to wipe front to back? That totally messes me up!

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#7 of 12 Old 10-16-2007, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

I know huh? I can wipe a poopy bum with one firm swoop from top of butt crack to the front, with only a little bit of clean up on either side of the scrotum.. Wiping front to back, and juggling skinny newborn legs may just be too much for me.

kl, you DO have a point, though, about boys needing sisters. Hmm. More to think about.

Like I have any say in the matter. HA!

#8 of 12 Old 10-16-2007, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgirl View Post
I thought about his a lot because I did not tell anyone in my last pregnancy that I desperately wanted a girl. I had no visions of pink, princess or anything girly at all. I wanted a little girl like me- (a big tomboy) even at 32. When I found out I was pregnant with a healthy girl it was the happiest moment in my life next to her birth. WHY??? I think now its about me more than her. I wanted to raise a daughter the way I had wished to be raised and in a way correct my past. I now will truly be happy with either sex. Im blessed to have a child at all. I am committed to not putting my children in boxes and i am open to who ever they become because of or in spite of their gender.
Chris
Yes. This. I worry if I'm strong enough to overcome my own mom's atrocious parenting. I wouldn't wish ANY girl on her, even my worst enemy....I wonder if I can resist the urge to slip into her shoes.

#9 of 12 Old 10-17-2007, 01:44 AM

see .. I'm in the totally other camp .... all I know is GIRLS ...
hairbows, foo-foo cutesy Gymboree outfits, Barbies .... yet they will still play volleyball (Abigail), and throw their dolls in the dirt (Rachel) for fun!
Abby asked me what sex I wanted, and I told her I honestly didn't care ... I sort of lied. I "think" I want a girl ... but that's just because it would be easiest.

Honestly, when they are little, does it even make any difference?? Babies have to be fed, changed, and snuggled regardless if they are boys or girls!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#10 of 12 Old 10-17-2007, 02:13 AM

No and honestly even when they're big it doesn't matter - a little one or a big one is still someone to invest into and love unconditionally. I hope you know I was being tongue in cheek. I love my boys, I'd love a girl - I'm fine with never doing hair or talking about boobs and bras and such with a daughter - I do not feel in any measure that I have lost out what so ever. Give me a wee one and I'll be happy.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#11 of 12 Old 10-17-2007, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan'sMommy View Post
I'm SO THERE.

I can't imagine a girl. I would not be a good girl mom. I NEED BOYS! DH doesn't get it.

about the diaper thing. I thought the EXACT same thing! What you have to wipe front to back? That totally messes me up!
Okay SHUT UP! I'm not in this DDC but I had to post when I saw this... DH and I were talking in bed the other night and I said "maybe we shouldn't have a girl... I mean, I don't know how to take care of a girl. (I sit up in bed) What if poop gets in her vagina?! HOW do you get it out?" DH looks at me... "How DO you get it out?" (Lay back down) *chirp chirp*

I have two boys. No poop/vagina issues.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#12 of 12 Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 AM
p.s

oh! this is so me. I just *know* this one is a girl, and i keep asking dh, "i'm not sure how to raise a girl."
i have so many strongly held (i.e. sexist) beliefs of girls that i'm almost scared of raising a girl. and i honestly believe having gone to a girl highschool and women's college makes my fears even worse!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page