trouble finding a midwife - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2007, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
blah!! I have called 7 midwives since yesterday and none of them have answered or called me back! I know thats a pretty dumb vent, but I don't have the energy to be persistent! I barely have the energy to call them the first time let alone keep track of who I've called, who I haven't, when I called, etc etc. I dial the number and then feel like that was my energy for the day, like I could just go to sleep on the phone...(as my toddler destroys my house lol)

Cant a midwife just fall in my lap while I peacefully sleep the day away?

I live in the bay area! this shouldnt be so hard! But I'm in the FAR east bay so I think none of them want to travel out here. What the heck am I going to do if I can't find a midwife? I know I have time, I'm only 4-5 weeks. But I keep hearing they book up fast and its starting to worry me like crazy....

Theres my vent for the day. thanks for listening

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 07:31 PM

I hope someone calls you back!

You are making me nervous, I only have two midwives' numbers and have yet to call I hope they aren't booked up.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
Old 10-19-2007, 07:33 PM

All I can say is hang in there! Most midwives I've met have extremely unusual schedules, sometimes all nighters with laboring moms, then appointments the next day. My midwife has never directly answered the phone, but always gets back to me within a day or two (it has never been an emergency!)

It's frustrating, but worth it!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjasma View Post
All I can say is hang in there! Most midwives I've met have extremely unusual schedules, sometimes all nighters with laboring moms, then appointments the next day. My midwife has never directly answered the phone, but always gets back to me within a day or two (it has never been an emergency!)

It's frustrating, but worth it!
:

My midwife has an office with a receptionist M-F, even though they only have appt days on Tues/Thurs. But that's kind of an exception - it took her almost 15 years to get to this point. I do have to say though, this is why I started interviewing midwives before we even got pregnant last time because I wanted to have my puzzle pieces in place so whenever it happened/we planned we were ready to go.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 10-20-2007, 06:23 PM

My midwife works similar to what Anjasma posted. She works alone out of a home office and she's the ONLY midwife in my county that will do a home/birth center birth. So.....she's busy.
When I call, I regularly won't hear back from her for a day or two. She does have a pager that you can call if you need to speak with her immediately....otherwise, she figures it's okay to wait a little bit. I just figure she's at a birth and is doing something more important than what I need her for right now. If it were an emergency, I know I could get a hold of her.

Hang in there.....I'm sure someone will get a hold of you soon!

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
Old 10-20-2007, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

I found one!! and I LOVE her already just from talking over the phone :

We're meeting thursday and I'm totally excited! Thanks mamas for your reassurance! I had an OB last time so it was really medicalized and different. I'm so excited for a homebirth this time! I was talking to DH today and he asked me some random question and I said "I don't know, I'll have to ask my midwife" and it made me feel all happy inside

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
Old 10-20-2007, 11:50 PM

glad you found somebody! I've heard from lots of women that it can be hard to get in touch with their midwives, probably due to odd/crazy schedules

I hope you really like the midwife you're meeting with! if you don't, don't be shy to keep looking

User Tag List