ms and water.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-21-2007, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ack! I can't drink water!!! I tried to drink a glass the day before yesterday and spit it out from the taste, thinking my tap water might be bad again (yeah I know, gross, but it seriously varies around here). Yesterday though, when I made DH take me to olive garden, I drank two glasses of water with lemon, and then promptly threw up. (luckily I made it to the bathroom )
So NOW what?! I obviously NEED to be drinking some type of water, I'm nursing a toddler AND growing a baby! I slightly remember last time throwing up water and drinking gatorade for a month or two, but I would rather not drink so much HFCS you know? I have really tried to avoid things like that and before I got pregnant the ONLY thing I drank was water and very very occasionally juice. I've been drinking ginger ale all day to help keep me from throwing up, so I'm not dehydrated per se but it can't be good for me to survive solely on ginger ale for hydration
Any other mamas getting sick from water? what are you drinking instead?

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#2 of 12 Old 10-21-2007, 11:46 AM

when the thought of drinking water makes me feel ill, honestly I have a cup of what my family calls "fuzzy water," aka sparkling mineral water like Perrier or a less fancy version. It's an indulgence that I can't afford, so I try to keep it to a minimum. If I'm feeling really bad and don't want to eat anything, if I have a cup of that with a drop of juice (like cranberry juice) in it, it usually makes me feel a little better. Thankfully I'm not throwing up, though (and I never did with my first pregnancy, but I'm also only 5 weeks along and I was feeling totally fine at this point last time).

sorry you're feeling so ill!
#3 of 12 Old 10-21-2007, 01:15 PM

Man, that stinks when you can't even keep water down.

The only thing I've noticed about myself is that if I'm really hungry (and feeling sick as a result), I absolutely cannot fool myself into thinking I'm eating by drinking water instead. It makes me more sick. I haven't actually harfed from doing it....but the feeling is there.

If my tummy has actual food in it, though, then water is fantastic!! Otherwise, keep it away because it just makes things worse.

That's a great idea though, adding stuff to the water to make it more....palatable.

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
#4 of 12 Old 10-21-2007, 05:27 PM

I was going to suggest putting some lemon in your water... but I see you've tried that.

How about some watered down organic juice? Apple is pretty good watered down.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#5 of 12 Old 10-21-2007, 06:00 PM

For me I've been downing orange Gatorade like there's no tomorrow. And I haven't had Gatorade since my last pregnancy! I don't know why I crave it so much in my first trimesters but it helps my nausea a bit and water doesn't.
#6 of 12 Old 10-21-2007, 07:20 PM

Water isn't working for me either unless it is on ice and I drink it in very small amounts. I can tolerate sucking on ice cubes though so I do that at work. I've also been trying some popsicles/freezepops for liquids and homemade lemonade. I'm not a tea drinker and I can't tolerate coffee any more either. Luckily milk is still a go for me since it's one of my favorites.
#7 of 12 Old 10-21-2007, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

I found my solution! Vitamin Water! Its like gatorade but without the HFCS, so I feel slightly better about it (even though it has a lot of sugar still). Plus it has B vitamins which I hear make MS a little better. Best of all it tastes yummy and I can drink a whole bottle without getting sick
I had DH pick me up a case from Costco!

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#8 of 12 Old 10-22-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulips11 View Post
For me I've been downing orange Gatorade like there's no tomorrow.
I just discovered the same thing today, the orange gatorade did wonders for my MS! I think I'm gonna hafta stock up...

to Dale, : to Ronan (2-22-06) and Nessa (8-6-09), Monkey to 4 :, and geek to everyone else.
12/07 & 7/08
#9 of 12 Old 10-22-2007, 01:04 PM

There's definitely something about the Gatorade... I have days when I can't keep the water down either (or put it down in the first place).

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
#10 of 12 Old 10-22-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mama moose* View Post
I found my solution! Vitamin Water! Its like gatorade but without the HFCS, so I feel slightly better about it (even though it has a lot of sugar still). Plus it has B vitamins which I hear make MS a little better. Best of all it tastes yummy and I can drink a whole bottle without getting sick
I had DH pick me up a case from Costco!
I LOOOOVE VW! I haven't had any in a loong time .. trying to stay on the cheap, but now, I have a perfect excuse to drink it again!!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#11 of 12 Old 10-22-2007, 06:26 PM

Try not to chug big glasses at one sitting. Cold water with lemon in small sips should do better on your tummy than a bunch at once

Hope you feel better soon!
#12 of 12 Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 PM

Tea helps me out, as long as it is bland-bland-bland. Like peppermint or chamomile. Not red zinger, bengal spice, or earl grey. That comes right back up.:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page