working moms - when will you tell your boss? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-22-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious when people plan on breaking the news to their boss. With my last pregnancy I told my boss at 9 weeks (I was SO worried about how he'd take the news - and then felt silly because of course he congratulated me). I think I'll probably tell him (same boss) once we detect a heartbeat via US - hopefully next week! I hate keeping secrets - it's so stressful.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#2 of 10 Old 10-22-2007, 03:42 PM

I won't be telling my boss or my parents until mid-December. I have no problem keeping secrets from my co-workers for a while. It's not a real cozy workplace, anyway. I mean, I like my job, but I don't talk about my personal life there much, nor does anyone.
#3 of 10 Old 10-22-2007, 05:24 PM

I told mine last week, I wanted to wait but she was planning a business trip for me in Feb. I don't think I'll tell my coworkers until after Thanksgiving.
#4 of 10 Old 10-22-2007, 06:04 PM

told my boss just the other day .... I'm an ER nurse, and I wanted her to know why I may run out of a room to hurl! .... just kidding! Seriously .. there are a few folks I need to take extra special precautions around for he next few weeks.
I've only told a few of my co-workers. I figured it will spread pretty quickly ...

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#5 of 10 Old 10-22-2007, 06:47 PM

Chances are, not until I get to 12 weeks, unless I need to be out for any reason before then (meaning an extended absence) as then it might be helpful for him to understand. So, about another month or so, I guess. That's about when I told with my last one too. But this pregnancy won't affect the school year nearly as much, since I'm due just before school will be out (instead of in the middle of it).

That's not to say I haven't told anyone. The other people in the science department know, simply because I wanted to tell somebody and they were a good group for it. Plus we're a very small dept - there's only 8 of us and we tend to keep each other informed.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
#6 of 10 Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 PM

I'll probably wait till about 12 weeks also, just because I don't have any desire to share the info with them yet, and if anything was to happen, I couldn't stand the sympathy.

That's probably weird, but I'm more on the private side and like time to get to know my baby and "settle in" before everyone starts giving me looks and asking questions
#7 of 10 Old 10-22-2007, 10:45 PM

My work is the next place I tell, after DH.

This is my 4th pg since TTC #2. With my first 2 pg's, I started m/c at work, so having my manager in the know was very good. That way, me asking for the following day off from work wasn't coming out of nowhere.
Plus, I have to order a stool for my work (I stand all day at work), and it takes WEEKS to actually arrive. So, if I waited until my 2nd tri to get that ball rolling, I'd be in serious agony by the time it arrived.

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
#8 of 10 Old 10-23-2007, 11:07 AM

I'm going to try to wait as long as possible. Right now I feel like crap and am worried that people might start suspecting something since I look like the walking dead! Luckily I am not actually throwing up, just feel blah and nauseous. I'm a pretty private person at work and I just don't feel like having everyone talk to me about it. I work in a suburb outside of Atlanta and the mentality around the office is pretty traditional southern, I am sort of the odd ball of the office. If I can wait until January I will, but I guess it depends on when I actually start showing
#9 of 10 Old 10-23-2007, 07:11 PM

I told my boss a couple days ago because I'm having bad ms and it's affecting my work. So much of what I do is "on demand", so I felt at least he needed to understand what's going on or I'd probably get written up or fired.

I asked him to keep it to himself until I announce it to the team, and he said he would, but who knows really. I just don't want a lot of drama if something should go wrong, so I'd rather wait until I'm at least 12 weeks to tell my team.

to Dale, : to Ronan (2-22-06) and Nessa (8-6-09), Monkey to 4 :, and geek to everyone else.
12/07 & 7/08
#10 of 10 Old 10-23-2007, 07:25 PM

Everyone at work already knows. Its a very team orientated envionment and I wanted them to know that I wasn't being a slacker, I just feel sick.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page