Returning to work after birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-22-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We, dh and I, are considering the possibility of me staying at home after this little one is born. I'd really like to give my boss a head's-up as to what our plans are, but I'm a little nervous about doing so.

If I work right up until the birth and don't come back to work after, will my insurance still cover the birth?

Would it be better to hide our plans from my boss? I'm not used to being dishonest...

Just looking for some advice or suggestions. Have any of you faced this same situation?
#2 of 9 Old 10-22-2007, 07:35 PM

I'm not in your ddc but I hope it is ok for me to respond. Your are entitled to your leave with benefits that your company offers you (check with your hr person about the specifics), and then if you choose to not come back after that it is just like resigning at any other time. I think you should wait until after your leave, or depending on the length of your leave maybe wait until 3-4 weeks before you would return, and let your boss know then. It is never unexpected to have a new mom decide to stay at home, so unless your circumstances at work require a long notice to find a suitable replacement, it is better to wait as things may change for you and your family and you may want to go back, you just never know. It isn't deceptive.
#3 of 9 Old 10-22-2007, 07:44 PM

Yes, you insurance will cover it. And you will continue to be able to get that insurance through COBRA.

Personally, I didn't want to leave my babe. Then I planned to leave him when he was 18 months and that didn't work either. But some moms REALLY want to work. I NEVER imagined wanting to be a SAHM until I had a baby. I think you will have to wait until you have your babe and see how you feel. Everyone is different.

I would tell your boss that you are undecided and that you will have to wait until after the birth to make your decision.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#4 of 9 Old 10-22-2007, 09:21 PM

I kept hedging about coming back to work after my oldest was born. If I'd flat-out quit, I would've only been able to use my vacation time (COBRA was $800/mo for *just* me). Insurance would have stopped the minute I quit. I did end up going back for 2.5 months before officially quitting. But since I went on a leave of absence, I got to use up my sick leave, had to use up my vacation time (before I could officially go on LOA), and also got disability insurance payouts in addition the the health insurance kicking in (when the grand total was over $25K because of them stealing my baby to the NICU, that kinda came in handy).

So I say just see what all's available and what will happen in a variety of scenarios. The US isn't exactly mama/procreation friendly in this regard... at least IME.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#5 of 9 Old 10-22-2007, 09:45 PM

If I were you I would check with HR about what the policies are. You should be able to have a confidential discussion about your options with them before you break the news to your boss.

I know with benefits etc the way they are it tends to encourage moms in this country to take their 12 weeks and THEN quit. But I really think it's not a nice thing to do unless you're not given a choice. I think it tends to leave a bad taste in employers mouths... Obviously do what you need to, but all things being equal I think it's best to let your boss know of your intentions if you're sure of them.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#6 of 9 Old 10-22-2007, 10:44 PM

I agree that you should talk to the benefits dept and find out what your companies policies are. Some companies are ok with it, others aren't. Some will require you to return to work for a certain period of time before you can quit, others realize that you may not come back. It's important to know exactly what would happen in all cases and only benefits/HR can really answer those questions for you. To some extent it also depends on your boss - if s/he knew you weren't coming back how would you be treated? And realistically, you don't have to tell your boss more than they need to know. Don't consider it lying, consider it keeping your boss as informed as they need to be.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
#7 of 9 Old 10-23-2007, 11:23 AM

I don't plan on coming back to work, but once I break the news to my boss that I am pregnant, I am going to tell him that I do plan on coming back after 3 mths, just in case. My company doesn't pay for maternity leave that I am aware of so I will be using up any remaining vacation/sick leave and taking the rest unpaid. I plan on switching to my husbands insurance once the baby is born, even though it will be expensive. My husband and I plan on using the next 7 months to figure something out to make it possible for me to stay home. Once everyone knows that I am pregnant, I will talk to my benefits dept and get more info on exactly what my options are.
#8 of 9 Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 PM

My p wants me to stay home and in truth it would be silly for me to work. I clear around $1400 a month right now and daycare for 2 will be around $1200. Whats the point? I might work part time somewhere just to maintain my sanity....I love the idea of working at the local coffeeshop/used book store a few hours a week.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#9 of 9 Old 10-23-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVanessa View Post
My p wants me to stay home and in truth it would be silly for me to work. I clear around $1400 a month right now and daycare for 2 will be around $1200. Whats the point?

I just started figuring out ways I could trim $200/mo from our budget. I've since gotten gung-ho in that regard, but it works for us.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page