Is eating pickled ginger safe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-10-2007, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 8 wks along and ate a HEAPING handful of pickled ginger (like what you get with your sushi) and it made me feel so gooooooood. It took away my icky tummy. Of course then I read online that you should only consume small amts of ginger and that it can cause miscarriage or birth defects. Anyone know anything or have any advice???
Thanks,
Carolyn
#2 of 14 Old 11-11-2007, 09:53 AM

What? Why would ginger be dangerous? Ginger is a really well known remedy for nausea, and there are so many products for pregnant women made with ginger. I'm about to have a cup of ginger tea, and I know they make ginger hard candies, and I know lots of people like to eat candied ginger. I personally can't imagine eating the pickled stuff but if it helps, go for it!!

Sorry you got scared. That happened to me last pregnancy. I took something for gas that I read was safe (I was in a lot of pain), and then went online and read somewhere that it was dangerous and associated with birth defects. Well, it turns out that last site was just plain wrong. They had it confused with something else, I guess. So now I'm incredibly wary of anything I read on the internet regarding safety, and always try to find multiple sources to make sure.
#3 of 14 Old 11-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Yummmmmm!!! No worries about pickled ginger. I have even seen it suggested in a book or two as a remedy for prego nausea.

You will always find conflicting information and it can be frustrating!! I believe ginger as a food or tea is safe. As with most things in pregnancy, I follow the rule of "everything in moderation". (including ice cream)

You could also try umeboshi plum paste. I have found it useful too. Sometimes I give it to my son for belly bugs, and it just dawned on me the other day that I could be using it now!! Place a little bean sized portion into a cup of hot water, stir and sip. Maybe you could alternate between this and the ginger if it makes you feel better.

mmmmm, love that pickled ginger! I think I will have to get some!
#4 of 14 Old 11-11-2007, 09:28 PM

I love pickled ginger and eat it a few times a week. In my last pregnancy I would eat salad with extra ginger dressing. It became a joke at the sushi place and they would ask me if I would like some lettuce with my ginger. My 2 year old now eats pickled ginger by the fist full and everyone is always surprised. I just worry about why some pickled ginger is pink and some is white. Raw ginger looks white. Wow I want some so bad right now.
#5 of 14 Old 11-11-2007, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah why is that? Pink or white....
I think the pink tastes fresher...
#6 of 14 Old 11-13-2007, 12:05 PM

Actually, there are different varieties of ginger. I have worked in health food stores for the past fourteen years and I have seen ginger ranging in color from white to yellow to pink, and there's even one that has a bluish hue(NOT mold!!).

As far as the pickled ginger that you would get from a health food store, it probably has a little umeboshi plum in it, which would contribute to the pinkish hue. As far as your local sushi place, I would ask them. It could be food coloring or it could be umeboshi depending on what kind they get. I always wonder about the wakame salad at the place I go. It is sooo green! And when I make it at home it is not so pretty.hmmmm....
#7 of 14 Old 11-13-2007, 05:22 PM

I think it depends on where you buy the pickled Ginger. The stuff at the local Asian food store has saccharin and MSG in it. Yuck.

INGREDIENTS PICKLED GINGER: ginger, water, vinegar, salt, citric acid monosodium glutamate, saccharin, potassium-sorbate (preservative), fd&c red #40.

I make sure to check the labels now. I love the stuff from whole foods.

Part-time L&D RN and Full-time Mama to Xander 4/01 & Carly 6/08
#8 of 14 Old 11-13-2007, 08:22 PM

Thanks to this thread I had to go get some Joe's rolls (so good! Avocado, shrimp, cream cheese and cucumber) the other day and I asked for lots of extra ginger. It's in my fridge for emergencies.
#9 of 14 Old 11-14-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spewie View Post
Thanks to this thread I had to go get some Joe's rolls (so good! Avocado, shrimp, cream cheese and cucumber) the other day and I asked for lots of extra ginger.
Oh my god you have made me so hungry. I am so making sushi for dinner tomorrow!!

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#10 of 14 Old 11-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Has anyone heard about any limit on ginger? The nurse at my RE's office when I went in for the last time said that you should not eat too much. I had told her that I got some capsules with ginger in them (b/c I don't like the taste of ginger) and she was asking about the amount and said there is a limit (I don't know how much, maybe 100mg or something?)

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#11 of 14 Old 11-14-2007, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneM View Post
Has anyone heard about any limit on ginger? The nurse at my RE's office when I went in for the last time said that you should not eat too much. I had told her that I got some capsules with ginger in them (b/c I don't like the taste of ginger) and she was asking about the amount and said there is a limit (I don't know how much, maybe 100mg or something?)
I was really curious about this too and that was the reason for my freakout originally. I will ask my OB on friday. The only info I have read has been online, and you never know about reliability. Are capsules much more concentrated than real ginger, I wonder?
#12 of 14 Old 11-14-2007, 11:30 PM

I don't know - maybe, seems likely, since it's dried.

I'm so sorry, I didn't even put your situation with this. I feel so insensitive posting what I did! I'm thinking of you and praying for good news Friday

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#13 of 14 Old 11-17-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twwly View Post
Oh my god you have made me so hungry. I am so making sushi for dinner tomorrow!!
i second that!i just love making sushi can't wait untill tonight my mouth is watering!
#14 of 14 Old 11-18-2007, 12:28 PM

According to Chinese medicine, it is best to avoid dried ginger during pregnancy(ie capsules) It is best used in fresh form, as a food. Got this info from Joan Donnley's "Compendium for a Healthy Pregnancy and Normal Birth"
Susan Weed suggests taking tablespoon doses of ginger root tea for nausea, along with anise or fennel tea, raspberry leaf tea, ....oh wait, here's a direct qoute from her book regarding ginger capsules:
"Powdered and encapsulated, (Zingiber officinale) is taken in doses of up to 25 capsules per day for complete control of severe nausea and vomiting throughout pregnancy." woah, that sounds like quite a lot!.

After going through all my books(and i have a ton!), I find conflicting advice about ginger in most of them! It seems in moderation it is fine. Sorry to add further confusion. I would suggest trying another remedy if you feel nervous about it. There are lots of different alternatives to help nausea. Thoughts are with you...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page