Mothering Forum banner

Anybody from the Pacific Northwest?

975 views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  AidynElyMama 
#1 ·
I try to remember to look at cities as I read, but I always forget. Imagine that?
I am in the Portland burbs. Just wondering if anybody else is remotely close to me.

See less See more
#2 ·
We live just outside of Olympia, WA. My sis lives in Milwaukie, OR. She & her husband run the Milwaukie Farmer's Market & he works at the Waldorf school there. We travel that stretch of I-5 quite often, especially now that she has a little one, too. I'm a little envious of the strength of the AP community in Portland! Though, Oly is pretty crunchy, too, whenever I go to the WA, OR, ID tribe it is covered with Portland threads!

Anyway, looks like we're going to have sun for Thanksgiving!

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by anjasma View Post
We live just outside of Olympia, WA. My sis lives in Milwaukie, OR. She & her husband run the Milwaukie Farmer's Market & he works at the Waldorf school there. We travel that stretch of I-5 quite often, especially now that she has a little one, too. I'm a little envious of the strength of the AP community in Portland! Though, Oly is pretty crunchy, too, whenever I go to the WA, OR, ID tribe it is covered with Portland threads!
Hi! Is your sister on MDC? I think the community here has its pros and cons. For example, there is no way I can keep up with that big thread that happens every month! And ironically, I think it is harder to make close connections in a way. After being here about a year, I said to my husband, I realize I have like 100 acquaintances and no friends! It seems like there is always so much going on with so many different people that it is hard to make deeper connections. But yes, it is great, and I wouldn't trade it for anywhere else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by klink2 View Post
from Beaverton!
NO WAY! I am in Beaverton! What part of town are you in? We have to get together. How old is your DS? Do you ever go to any of the Westside stuff?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
I'm in the PNW, but quite a ways from you all.

Where is Idaho are you? My husband is going to be traveling to Boise for work, and I might go with him sometimes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustVanessa View Post
I am in the PNW just look WAY more north. I live in BC about 4 hrs from the Alaska border.
Well, there are quite a few of us PNWers anyway! You aren't in Prince Rupert by any chance are you? We were just up there on a cruise. In fact, that is when this baby was conceived! How's the weather up there?

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by imbarefoot View Post
from Olympia! I'm pretty far from you though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamatosaskia View Post
Hi,

I live in Seattle!
Hi and Hi! I keep saying we need to go spend more time in that area. Maybe I can come up for the weekend and we can have a baby playdate one day!

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeganjacksmom View Post
I MISS Portland so much!! We lived there for five years...my son was born there
We moved to PA two years ago, and it's fine...it's home now....but PDX is where we plan to get back to someday

I'll watch for you.
You know, I cannot imagine living anyplace else now!

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan'sMommy View Post
How I miss the PNW. I went to high school in the Portland area and went to college at U of O. We moved here a little over a year ago. I LOVE Eugene.

Well, it's a foggy rainy day here, and I was thinking of my days living in the PNW....sometimes I really miss it, but dp could never hack the weather. I lived in Eugene from '94 to '97. I imagine it is a fun place to be a parent.....I was on a totally different path of my life when I was there, not thinking much about having babies! I miss foraging for chanterelles in the misty forest and the hip-high ferns, and all the good places to eat, and the great music, and the dog parks, and the Saturday market etc, etc. I presently live in booringville PA!!!!!
Someone say hi to the butte for me!)

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by neomia View Post
Where is Idaho are you? My husband is going to be traveling to Boise for work, and I might go with him sometimes.
North Idaho, the panhandle. Don't fit in with southern Idaho, don't fit in with eastern Washington. Almost could be it's own state up here if Boise didn't rely on the freakin' high property taxes for their budget.
Honestly, I wasn't too impressed by Boise when we drove (the awfully long time) down there last spring. I'm much more at home with all our trees and hills and green stuff and lakes and rivers. Flat desert just doesn't do it for me (yes, that's my qualifier, *me*). The zoo was cute though, my 4yo enjoyed that.

#23 ·
Quote:
North Idaho, the panhandle. Don't fit in with southern Idaho, don't fit in with eastern Washington. Almost could be it's own state up here if Boise didn't rely on the freakin' high property taxes for their budget.
Honestly, I wasn't too impressed by Boise when we drove (the awfully long time) down there last spring. I'm much more at home with all our trees and hills and green stuff and lakes and rivers. Flat desert just doesn't do it for me (yes, that's my qualifier, *me*). The zoo was cute though, my 4yo enjoyed that.
Anywhere near Sun Valley / Kellog area? I have a friend that owns a daycare there, and was there a few years back to attend a wedding. Absolutely amazingly beautiful area!

Quote:
I am in Olympia too. It is nice to know that there are other preggos in the area. Gotta love the PNW!
Yay, three Oly mamas!

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Ooh, I have relatives in Sandpoint too. Are you near there?

#25 ·
anjasma ~ Um, no. Sun Valley is a 9 hour drive through Montana from us.
Kellogg however is about an hour away. One of these days I have got to go tour the bordello. It was open until the late 80's when all the girls just up and left - makeup cases still open and sitting there, etc. No one really knows what happened, but I think it's kinda neat.
I'll call it a homeschooling field trip.

neomia ~ I'm a little south of them. Close enough though that season passes to Silverwood make sense when I don't have a newborn.

ETA: I'm a spaz, the bordello's in Wallace, which is just the next mining town over from Kellogg. Darn kids keep sucking my brain out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.