Mothering Forum banner

Accidentally ate raw sushi

18K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Keeping up 
#1 ·
Thought it was cooked but it wasn't, plus it had fish eggs on it. I think I ate 4 pieces before I realized. yes, I am that much of a moron. Anyone have any help? What do I do?

#2 ·
There was a whole thread on sushi and pregnancy somewhere on here. If it is from a reputable resturant I would worry at all about it. I didn't eat sushi my first pregnancy, but this pregnancy I have had it once so far and plan to have it again. On the other thread someone posted a link to an article that talked about how it wasn't really as bad as we have been lead to fear it to be. There was one comment that stuck with me that was something like. The sushi is probably cut with same knife as the cooked rolls so you probably you really can't avoid raw fish if you go to a sushi resturant.

Sarah

found it
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=sushi

#3 ·
Ithink moderation in all things is key. the mass tells us NO NOT THAT so and so, not a huge sushi fan, but cheese's like blue cheese I won't totally avoid it I just won't eat it every day all day. I know others might not agree here but I think there is extreme over kill both ways. I hope all is good!

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiesandAbrosmama View Post
Ithink moderation in all things is key. the mass tells us NO NOT THAT so and so, not a huge sushi fan, but cheese's like blue cheese I won't totally avoid it I just won't eat it every day all day. I know others might not agree here but I think there is extreme over kill both ways. I hope all is good!
You don't have to avoid blue cheese as long as it's pasteurized. OP, sorry I have no idea about sushi. I'm sure you will be okay though.

#6 ·
I just got back from a long, luxurious meal of very intentional raw sushi. After abstaining briefly during my first pregnancy, I thought more about other countries and how all of Asia, Europe, etc. include sushi as part of a healthy diet in any stage of your life.
Watch out for the high mercury fish and beyond that, ENJOY!!!!!

I did a little research into it as well, and couldn't find a shred of evidence to support the fear-mongering no-sushi-while-pregnant troops.

I hope it was tasty!!!

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mossimo12 View Post
The sushi is probably cut with same knife as the cooked rolls so you probably you really can't avoid raw fish if you go to a sushi resturant.
I used to work in a high end French/Japanese fusion restaurant, and I have to say that only the best trained sushi chefs will know that they are supposed to cleanse their blade, as well as wipe their cutting boards between each type of fish, so as not to mix the flavours. If there's something to be avoided about sushi during pregnancy, you'll have a hard time finding a restaurant that boasts of a traditionally trained Japanese chef. However, I tend to think that all that hooplah about eating raw fish when you're p/g is just a bunch of bull.

#11 ·
You're fine! If sushi was so dangerous, there'd be a lot of hungry pregnant women in Japan. The key here is to know how to identify bad fish.

Tuna: dark, murky color, strong fishy smell=bad
Salmon: murky, grayish edges, strong fish smell, slime=bad

Unless you're eating something like red snapper, mackarel ( which should be avoided entirely because this fish is very high in mercury ) and other naturally strong-scented fishes, the fish should not have a foul odor. I do not know much about identifying bad caviar, but I think I would worry less about it because of its natural salt content, as salt is a natural preservative.

Another thing I would probably avoid is raw quail eggs. Unagi ( cooked freshwater eel ) is fine because it's cooked, however saltwater eel is not cooked, and I've never tried it so I don't know much about it. Most salt water fishes are safe, its really the freshwater ones you need to watch out for. Catfish, bass, perch, are all fishes I would stay away from, especially those caught in my local area ( Ohio/Lake Erie fishes )

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by queensgirl View Post
I am more worried about mercury in fish than it being raw. I avoid tuna but eat raw wild salmon. By ob said to just make sure I eat at reputable restaurants.
Ditto.

#14 ·
From what I remember the issues with sushi was more the mercury and the increased risk of food poisoning if it's bad. Don't think I would eat at any unknown sushi resturants while pg, but if you have favorite ones that you trust I don't see a problem indulging once in a while. I love sushi, especially the little fish eggs! Unagi is a favorite too, but it's cooked so no worries.

#17 ·
I love sushi and ate it throughout pregnancy #3 and #4 from a wonderful restaurant that I go to a lot.

The big concern of 'don't eat sushi while pregnant' is listeria (same in deli meats - microwave to kill it off (yuck), or unpasturized cheese). Listeria is very dangerous - however, something like 2,000 people in the US get it each year. That ain't that common given the 300 million people.

I decided as long as it was reputable, you wouldn't have an issue. The mercury is a whole other issue. Now, is cooked tuna (predator fish) any better than raw????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.