Mothering Forum banner

MW appt., no heartbeat

1K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  Amandamanda 
#1 ·
I just went to my midwife yesterday. I really love both of them, she took so much time with me & they always have toys, etc for dd to play with. I told her we were trying to avoid u/s, etc., but she asked if I would like to listen to the Doppler heartbeat if she was quick with it. So I caved, I've been a little worried as my m/s has subsided, boobs aren't sore, etc. Then she couldn't find it.
: I know it's still early (12 weeks) but I really wanted that reassurance. I am going back Dec. 12th to try again, but that seems like such a long time. I wanted so badly to have a reassuring dream last night, but nada.

Anyone have experience not hearing the heartbeat at this stage? I thought there was a thread about it, but I couldn't find it. MW said maybe my uterus tilts backwards, or I'm not as far along as I thought (which I doubt...)
Thanks for the feedback.

See less See more
#3 ·
I had an u/s at 9 weeks with a strong hb, and now at 12 wks my bbs dont hurt, and my m/s has gone away. I think its completely possable that everything is just fine! I also think 12 wks is right on the cuff of when you can hear the hb, i dont think everyone gets to find it at that point.

#4 ·
Anjasma, I'm 12+ weeks and my symptoms are nearly all gone. No ms, sore boobs are much better (and growing!). I can feel my uterus getting larger weekly. I also have a retrograde uterus (tipped backwards) and have never heard a heartbeat until my 5th month (using just a fetoscope). I imagine 12 weeks is pretty early, even with a doppler.

Try to relax!! Most mc's happen before 12 weeks!

#5 ·
ditto, my symptoms are slowly disappearing...boobs not too sore, but definitely larger, almost no more nausea, more energy (though I've got a cold). Last u/s (at 7 weeks), the tech said there was a heartbeat, but I'm like you, I want more reassurance and I'd like to hear it again and again and again! And of course, I can't see a doc for another 3 weeks so I'm in the same boat as you...gotta wait it out.

Try not to freak out...it's not good for the baby!

#6 ·
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Keep us updated. I'm sure she wanted you to wait because if you go to soon it's possible you still won't hear anything if it's because of positioning. It'll go quick, hopefully.

#7 ·
I know, I'm being uncharacteristically paranoid right now. I was so carefree with dd, now I feel like I'm overanalyzing everything this time around. Deep breath!

Anyone know if a uterus can be retrograde (thanks Kylaroo) with the 2nd and not the 1st? It was never mentioned to me before and I'm sure the mw would have noticed last time.

Anyway, thanks for the support.

#8 ·
Not in your DDC, but wanted to give you some reassurance. I was like you, late to hear the heartbeat. My midwives actually warned me against trying to hear it too early just to avoid the worry when we couldn't hear it. And I still ended up in your situation. All three kids were just fine, even though they seemed to hide from the Doppler at the time.
I'm glad you love your midwives; that is so great! (I was crazy about mine too.)

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by anjasma View Post
Anyone know if a uterus can be retrograde (thanks Kylaroo) with the 2nd and not the 1st? It was never mentioned to me before and I'm sure the mw would have noticed last time.
Hmmm...I don't think so. I was told I had one as a teenager visiting Planned Parenthood.

#11 ·
I didn't hear DS's hb with the doppler until 20 weeks, we did and u/s at 14 weeks to see the hb. We didn't hear the hb at my 10 week appointment this time either, I'm not really worried. She said she felt that my uterus had grown, that was good enough for me. My m/s is getting better and my boobs only hurt when DS is nursing...I think it's normal to start feeling better by now, my body has adjusted to all the hormonal changes and whatnot. I got back on December 1st, hopefully we will hear it then.

#12 ·
When pg with DS my OB couldn't hear the hb at 12 1/2 weeks. I got totally freaked out! They gave me an U/S that day and everything was fine. I think it is totally normal not to hear a hb at 12 weeks. Please try not to worry. Also, 12 weeks is the normal time for M/S and other symptoms to go away.
Everything is fine!
Lorette

#13 ·
My midwife told me that we may or may not be able to get a heartbeat with the doppler at the 12 week appt. - she just couldn't say ahead of time. It's totally possible for your uterus to tilt between pregnancies - I had mine "straightened" with a Mayan Ab massage while I was ttc - and the practioner told me that it can "tilt" at any time (maybe from a fall or something) and after 1 pregnancy the ligaments that hold it in place are going to have more "movement" and be more lax, so I imagine that it is much easier! My symptoms have also almost disappeared, at almost 12 weeks, and that has happened in all three of my pregnancies.

Namaste.

#15 ·
I know some MWs who won't even check until 16 weeks because it's hard to find so early (your uterus is still small enough to sit in your pelvis and Doppler doesn't work so hot through bone) and they don't want to stress the mamas.

I would try not to worry too much.

#16 ·
Quote:
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Keep us updated. I'm sure she wanted you to wait because if you go to soon it's possible you still won't hear anything if it's because of positioning. It'll go quick, hopefully.
No, actually she suggested I come in next week, but I wanted to wait a bit longer. I wasn't even prepared to hear a heartbeat, then agreed and was disappointed. I know it's not a big deal, but it kind of put me in a funk. Guess I just wish I had stuck to my guns & waited to begin with...

I'm not too stressed, just kind of bummed.

#17 ·
I'm sure things are just fine anjasma.

I think it's funny (in a kind of sad way) that we all have waited so long to start feeling better and when we do - well then we worry that something is wrong.

I know I'm looking forward to my visit on Dec 7th just to make sure everything is OK. No reason to think it isn't, it's just without a baby moving around it all seems like a mystery and sort of scary.

#18 ·
HCG levels peak at 10 weeks after that they start to decline, thus reducing some of the pg symptoms. It is not at all uncommon not to find a heartbeat with a doppler at 12 weeks. I was about 14 weeks with my last before my mw found it and I was seeing her every week, we just couldn't find it.

Try not to worry.

#19 ·
Yeah, decreasing symptoms at 12 weeks is really normal! {{hugs}}
The hcg peaks between 9 and 12 weeks, and that's what causes the nausea and all.

It must be so hard to wait until your next visit! I hope you hear a nice strong heartbeat then. I know that I would also be very nervous and upset in your situation, even with all the reassuring stories. It's good, at least, to know that chances are very good that things are just fine. {{hugs}}

#21 ·
not in your ddc but wanted to share my story.

when i was 13 weeks my mw was able to find the hb with the doppler with no problem.. a week later my bp was out of control so i had to go back for meds.. she tried to find the heartbeat again and nothing! couldn't find it at all. luckily we were able to get an ultrasound right there and there was the baby with a strong heartbeat.. directly behind my partial anterior placenta. at my next appointment at 16 weeks the same exact thing happened. 2 weeks ago i had my big ultrasound and all was great and my placenta is now posterior! we have our next mw appt in 3 weeks and i will be 22 weeks so hopefully we will be able to hear the heartbeat with the doppler this time!

12 weeks is sooo early, and my symptoms disappeared at 10 weeks! relax mama.. I'm sure everything is fine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.