Mothering Forum banner

6 weeks measuring 9?

342 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  BirthFree 
#1 ·
So I went to MW today and according to my LMP I should be 6 weeks pg, I even went to a OB 6 weeks ago for a pap and some blood tests and he said all my hormone levels were normal. He said nothing about me being PG. So midwife checks me and said I feel more like 9 weeks. Has this happened to anyone else? I really do not want to get a US.

#4 ·
I don't know, have you looked up how accurately a midwife can estimate based just on feel? It seems a little unusual to me that you'd be able to estimate that accurately, because especially with second and subsequent pregnancies women's uteruses tend to expand more rapidly. I don't really know for sure, it just doesn't really seem too reliable to me. I know that even after 12 weeks when you can start feeling fundal height, it's supposedly not accurate at dating until after 20ish weeks...

#5 ·
Popping in from July, hope you don't mind!

This happens to me just about every pregnancy. Most say in the first trimester, after you're on your 2nd or 3rd or more pregnancies, that the measurements can get a little off. It's more meaningful if you're 20 weeks and measuring 23... and then the next month you're 7 ahead. It's the exponential growth later in pregnancy that usually signifies multiples.

Happy & Healthy pregnancy!
-Claire, who measured 8 weeks at my 5 week appt.

#6 ·
I can see where that's possible. If you saw the OB 6 weeks ago you would have been 3 weeks pregnant at the time and he wouldn't have known. You likely wouldn't have tested positive on a test and there wouldn't be any obvious external things to tell you otherwise. The only odd thing is you saying you had a period - was it really a period? Did it seem light or spotty? It is possible for women to bleed through their first period and not realize they're pregnant. I have a friend who had 2 periods (or so she thought) before she discovered she was about 3 months pregnant. Turns out she was having what's called breakthrough bleeding, and it stopped at that point. She has a 1 year old little girl now.

#7 ·
Please remember that fundal height measurement is not accurate until the 2nd trimester. That is, you can be 6 weeks and measure 9, but be only 6 weeks. Only starting around 18-22 weeks, does the fundal height measurement begin to be much more accurate. I would definitely NOT get an U/S based on this appointment, especially if you're not concerned about your dates. Trust your body and your knowledge of your body and not some MW's palpations.

#8 ·
I'm 9w measuring 17, so I hear ya. It's all normal. From what I understand and was reacently told by a good MW friend, it's the exponential growth you want to watch for - measuring 12w, then 16w then 20w (at 9w, 10w and 11w) for example. But 3w sounds within the totally normal 4w range (give OR take) for any provider. Mine is weird, but even then, no concern from any of my MW friends.
: If I'm okay, you probably are too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.