Anterior placenta - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2007, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, at my 12 week ultrasound, the sonographer was able to see the placenta and casually pointed out that it was anterior (at the front of my uterus). Neither she nor the doc said anything else about it, so I just thought it was a fun fact.

Fast forward a few days... I had a fleeting though about unscheduled c-sections. If I happen to be in a place of distress during labor or shortly before, and we decided that I needed surgery, wouldn't a front-lying placenta get in the way? That got me thinking of all the pro's, con's, and whatevers about anterior placentas. (like, will I feel movement later than most?)

Has anyone heard anything specifically related to the position of the placenta?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2007, 08:58 PM

Good question! I've had an anterior placenta before and never thought anything of it. Isn't the cut for a cesarean very low on the uterus? An anterior placenta is typically high in the front, not low. I'm curious to hear what others say!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:01 PM

If you need an emerg c/s and they don't roughly know the position of the placenta I believe they give you a quick u/s to find it. That happened to my friend.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Old 12-05-2007, 12:25 AM

I have wondered this too. My placenta was anterior with my last pregnancy and I was planning to VBAC. I wondered if it would be an issue if I needed a repeat C sec. I ended up VBACing so it wasn't an issue but I am still curious. I think I'll ask my OB about it when I see her next.

As far as movement, I don't think you'll feel movement later but my experience was that my DP couldn't feel or see the baby move until later when the placenta was anterior. Also If your midwife or doctor is listening for the heartbeat with a doppler you'll likely hear the placenta louder than anything.

Quoteriginally Posted by aswbarry~A~ Mama to DD 6y, DD , DD 3y and DD 1y
Old 12-05-2007, 12:28 AM

You know, I just picked up my med records from my old OB today to look at from my last pregnancy. I had spotting at 12 weeks with my DS, and when they did the u/s, they discovered I had an anterior placenta. They told me that at the time, but I had forgotten. By my 20 week u/s, it was in a normal spot. I now remember them telling me that a lot of times it just goes back to normal and never causes any problems.
Not sure about the c/s though. I wouldn't worry!

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:52 PM

You know, at 12 weeks your uterus is still not that big. What looks like an anterior placenta right now could end up being fundal by the time the uterus is bigger. But anyway, yeah the CS is done very low in the uterus, and unless you have a low-lying placenta or previa, the placenta would not be in the way.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:15 PM

I agree with OPs - the placenta will move quite a lot in the next few months - who knows where it will end up? At my 20-week last time they said mine was close to my cervix, but by 36 weeks it was well out of the way.

If it stays anterior your DP may feel movement later than you will b/c it will cushion any movement. Otherwise I don't really think it's an issue. I've never heard of them having a problem with a c/s because of placenta location - I think if it's truly low and anterior and you actually needed a c/s they can just cut towards one side or the other. ?? Anyway, the odds of both those things happening are really small. Relax!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 12-07-2007, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly1001 View Post
I now remember them telling me that a lot of times it just goes back to normal and never causes any problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpmom View Post
You know, at 12 weeks your uterus is still not that big. What looks like an anterior placenta right now could end up being fundal by the time the uterus is bigger.

Well, they didn't say anything about it being low-lying, just "front'-lying. Is an anterior placenta considered abnormal?

And how often, (if you know), does the placenta move towards the very top (fundus) later when it didn't start out there?
Old 12-07-2007, 04:18 PM

Anterior placenta is a variation of normal. It *can* increase your chance of having a posterior baby, but that's not a guarantee. I had an anterior placenta last pregnancy. (cough. baby was posterior. cough.)
Oh and as far as placenta 'Moving', it doesn't really move, but use this balloon analogy: Blow up a balloon a little bit. Draw a circle on the front of the balloon in the middle. Then continue to blow up the balloon until it is fully inflated and see how the circle travels "up" the balloon. Same thing happens with your placenta.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpmom View Post
Anterior placenta is a variation of normal. It *can* increase your chance of having a posterior baby, but that's not a guarantee. I had an anterior placenta last pregnancy. (cough. baby was posterior. cough.)
Oh and as far as placenta 'Moving', it doesn't really move, but use this balloon analogy: Blow up a balloon a little bit. Draw a circle on the front of the balloon in the middle. Then continue to blow up the balloon until it is fully inflated and see how the circle travels "up" the balloon. Same thing happens with your placenta.
that's an EXCELLENT analogy!!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

User Tag List