Any hot tea drinkers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been getting really cold around here, and I'm craving some hot cups of tea - but am unsure of what kind? Anyone have any suggestions? I know that certain herbs are supposed to be avoided... but am not postive of which one's for sure. I could really go for a nice cup of decaf chai, or something with a nice warming spice flavor - I also love green tea, but have heard that it should be avoided? During my first pregnancy I had some pregnancy tea, but was not a big fan of the flavor at all (I forget the brand for sure), so I'm looking for some better alternatives!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 05:34 PM

I LOVE TEA! my mum was british so I daily drink 2 cups of earl grey with cream and sugar. Peppermint tea is delicious and of course awake tea from starbucks is so good. I am not a green tea drinker at all but I love most herbal teas. I try to drink all herbal teas in moderation during pregnancy.
#3 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 05:47 PM

Hmmm... I'm an herbal tea addict, and I absolutely LOVE the pregnancy tea (as in I drink it when I'm not pregnant... .

Red Raspberry Leaf is a good choice, as is Peppermint or Chamomile. I think Nettle is supposed to be good for your kidneys during pregnancy. Oh, and Ginger tea might give you that warm, spicy taste you're thinking of... plus, might help if you're still having any M/S.

Um, lemme go check Susun Weed..... yeah, those are basically what she lists, unless you're looking to correct something in particular.

Here's one that my friend swears by:

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/mo...lness_tea.html <-- They have a few other tasty teas, too. Check out the Peaceful Mama... mmm.

This is the one that I drink:

http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/?id=30&pid=17

Plus, I like lots of fruit teas... esp. if they have chamomile or rose hips in them.

HTH! Sorry for including the Pregnancy Teas, but maybe a different variety might work better for you?
#4 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 05:50 PM

I've never head that green tea is anything but good good good for you. I drink it all the time! I am also fond of peppermint tea and sleepy-time tea (actually, what's really good is if you put one bag of each in your pot). I like English Breakfast tea with some milk in it too, though that has caffiene so is reserved for AM - and usually only if I didn't really get my coffee.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#5 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 06:05 PM

I LOOOOOVE tea!! I drink herbal (peppermint or lemon are tickling my fancy right now) at night and sometimes I'll have green or black in the morning. Yes green and black tea (and white and red) teas have caffeine, but much less than coffee. For some reason I find the caffeine in tea to feel "healthier" than other kinds :

Oh and once in a while I HAVE to have a nonfat chai from starbucks: it's my indulgence
#6 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 06:14 PM

If you like chai and you have a Trader Joe's close by, you need to go and get their Organic Ruby Red Chai. It is Rooibos tea w/ all the chai flavors. It is soooo good. Me and my DS drink it every morning w/ a bit of cream.

Heather, mama to          
#7 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 06:22 PM

Ever since the beginning of this p/g, I haven't wanted coffee, so I fall back on tea or hot chocolate. Besides, I live in Montreal where 25 cm of snow just dropped from the sky two days ago. The city is one snow-filled disaster; that calls for many cups of tea at work! I'm really in love with lemon tea, but if I could afford it, I'd be drinking Chai Lattes from Starbucks all the time

Oh, and if you can find the real genuine item, chinese Lotus blossom tea is AMAZING!
#8 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 06:28 PM

I am making orange spice tea right now Otherwise I like cammomile, dreamland, lemon and mint.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#9 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 06:30 PM

I drink the Traditional Medicinals Pregnant Mother tea most of the time.

When I need to wind down I like a mixture of chamomile and lavender.

For a treat I like oolong.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#10 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 06:49 PM

Sorry... totally crashing your DDC here, but Good Earth brand is really yummy/spicicy and they have a decaf variety. I'm not positive it's safe for pregnancy, but its WAY yummy so it might be worth checking into at least...
#11 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 07:46 PM

I am loving tea too, esp. with this pregnancy! I crave the tannins in regular black Irish breakfast or the like. Trying to keep a check on the caffeine, but it's hard while still feeling sick - tea's one of the things that makes me feel better.

sweetheart to b , mama to G , W , and expecting : baby 3! in April 2010
#12 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 07:55 PM

Wow. I have never tried lemon tea. What is ya'lls favorite lemon teas? Can you buy them at the supermarket?
#13 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

I'm SO happy that there are other tea drinkers! I was lurking around on some of the more "mainstream" boards - and only found negative things about tea, which then made me feel guilty about wanting it! I loooovvve tea! :

I'm glad you included a couple of pregnancy teas, I'd love to find one that I like. (I may be just remembering that I don't really like it from last time because I was sooo sick the entire time, and it was 3 years ago... so I definately want to try it again!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonBean View Post
Hmmm... I'm an herbal tea addict, and I absolutely LOVE the pregnancy tea (as in I drink it when I'm not pregnant... .

HTH! Sorry for including the Pregnancy Teas, but maybe a different variety might work better for you?
I love earl grey, chai's (I don't have a Trader Joe's by me ... in fact, where are they?) lemon, and lots more - My tea kettle is on the stove now!
#14 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 09:30 PM

I love tea too.

I drank red rasp leaf all through my preg with DS. I usually am an orange pekoe addict. But lately, while not actual tea, I've really enjoyed drinking a large glass of water with half a lemon squeezed into it, and a teaspoon of honey.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#15 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 10:08 PM

I've been drinking a lot of peppermint, real raspberry leaf, and decaf chai. My mw recommended one or two cups of black or green tea as part of an anti-oxidant diet to reduce the chance of pre-eclampsia. Though now that I'm off the coffee, any caffeine makes me loopy!
#16 of 21 Old 12-06-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjasma View Post
I've been drinking a lot of peppermint, real raspberry leaf, and decaf chai. My mw recommended one or two cups of black or green tea as part of an anti-oxidant diet to reduce the chance of pre-eclampsia. Though now that I'm off the coffee, any caffeine makes me loopy!
Hey do you have any info regarding th tea and preventing pre-e? I would be super interested in that. I am already on a high protein diet to help prevent pre-e.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#17 of 21 Old 12-07-2007, 12:33 AM

Fortnum and Mason has a very good selection of teas :-) if you have anybody living in London, ask them to buy tea for you at The Tea House on Covent Garden
#18 of 21 Old 12-07-2007, 12:34 AM

CSeasonings has the Gingerbread out right now and it's a God sent!! I am drinking and drinking and drinking as it is helping the uck feeling!

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#19 of 21 Old 12-07-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Hey do you have any info regarding th tea and preventing pre-e? I would be super interested in that. I am already on a high protein diet to help prevent pre-e.
I'm not sure if I had it last time or not, but did gain 7 lbs. one week, had some swelling, and have always had protein in my urine... so I thought I would approach it dietarily as if it were a possibility. So, my mw was saying that they believe now pre-e can be caused by an inflammation in the blood supply to feeding the placenta, and by eating a diet rich in anti-oxidants, that will naturally reduce the inflammation and therefore reduce blood pressure. I think I got that right!

She gave me a sheet of foods rich in anti-oxidants (which I would be happy to share with you if you'd like.) One of the sources is any fresh brewed green or black tea, though they recommend limiting this to no more than two servings a day because of the caffeine.

She also recommended lots of protein, fresh garlic, and extra calcium.

Even without the threat of pre-e, it's a pretty awesome diet. I figure either way, it can't hurt to eat pomegranates and strawberry smoothies every day!
#20 of 21 Old 12-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Banned

I the Pregnancy Tea.

But since you don't....

Celestial Seasonings has a trio of holiday flavors out right now - a PP mentioned gingerbread, which I haven't tried. But we DO have the Sugar Plum Spice, and it is
#21 of 21 Old 12-07-2007, 09:55 PM

I like the celestial seasonings Zinger teas like lemon and raspberry

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page