Is anyone else suffering from sinusitis yet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a classic case of pregnancy sinusitis and it is so irritating. Anyone else?

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#2 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVanessa View Post
I have a classic case of pregnancy sinusitis and it is so irritating. Anyone else?
gag me .... it's over here, too!!

I take a HOT shower every morning .. helps me to blow all that nasty-ness out! It's been giving me some killer headaches, as well.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#3 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Ditto, but I have sinusitis regularly...it's just worse now!

I usually do a steam with drops of eucalyptus oil to help clear the stuffiness, or with tea tree oil if there's anything that needs to come out.

Aside from that, I feel as though I have an elephant sitting on my sinuses. Boo.
#4 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 05:02 PM

Is this a classic symptom of pregnancy?? How embarassing that this is my third and I still don't really know what hapens with my body. I think I'm just getting a break from the past week. A week ago I thought my eyeballs were going to pop out of my head. I've spent a good amount of time pressing on my sinus areas (whatever they're called) to relieve the pressure. Ugh.

Why is this a pregnancy symptom? I thought it was just a my-kids-were-sick-for-2-days-and-of-course-I'm-sick-for-10-times-longer thing.
#5 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 05:07 PM

I've got it. I had it with my first and I've had it with this one since before I peed on the stick. I have a huge case of the sneezes along with it. The worst part about having the sneezes is the constant "are you getting a cold?" every. single. time. I sneeze. It doesn't matter where I am or who I'm with (except my husband--he knows better), someone is asking me if I'm catching a cold. It's driving me batty!

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
#6 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesca View Post
Why is this a pregnancy symptom?
I believe it is caused by being more vascular in general during pregnancy. We create more blood and our veins can be a bit dilated, and the nasal passages and sinuses are full of little veins.

I was really congested with my last pregnancy. So far this one is fine, but I wonder for you stuffy mamas if a netti pot would help? It can't hurt.

And what about a humidifier? I was thinking about getting one myself, because our house is getting really dry from the heat and it does make for a stuffy night's sleep for all of us!
#7 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Progesterone cause the vessels in the nasal passage to swell.
I am going to run the humidifier and get some saline spray when I am in town today. That helped last pregnancy.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#8 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 08:40 PM

I am stuffy all the time. It has not impeded my sense of smell though which I wish it would sometimes.
#9 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 08:44 PM

Yep, we're all a bit sicky here.
#10 of 15 Old 12-08-2007, 04:32 PM

Huh, interesting! I'm working the saline spray, and now it's mostly just a little congestion - not really in my sinuses any more, thank goodness. It's really dry here, in general, and especially in winter, so I need to stay on top of the spray. A whole-house humidifier would help too.
#11 of 15 Old 12-08-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunmamma View Post
So far this one is fine, but I wonder for you stuffy mamas if a netti pot would help? It can't hurt.
Ok, maybe I'm an idiot, but what's a netti pot? Never heard of it.

I up for trying anything. It's not bad yet, but if my former pregnancies are an indication, it's only a matter of time. Boo.
#12 of 15 Old 12-08-2007, 05:48 PM

wow! I had no idea this was a pregnancy thing! I know I had it last pregnancy, just thought it was a Maine winter wreking havoc on my sinuses! So far I don't have anything like that this time.....hmm, I wonder if I will get it later? I hope not I hate sinus pressure! bleh! :

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#13 of 15 Old 12-09-2007, 11:12 PM

I think I may go the saline spray route -- also living in the northeast we have the dry heat on now -- and humidify the bedrooms at night. Am also going to look in to netti pot and aromatherapy, which worked great for a friend during her pregnancy.

Someone can probably explain the netti concept better than I can, but basically I think it involves liquid going into the nose and out ???? not sure!

Chris
#14 of 15 Old 12-10-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonBean View Post
Ok, maybe I'm an idiot, but what's a netti pot? Never heard of it.(
You are not an idiot!!! A netti pot is ayurvedic in origin, and has become very popular lately in the US. Especially after Oprah apparently talked about it on her show. I work in a health food store, and you would be amazed at the hot buying trends we see because Oprah approves! Strange phenomenon. Like once, she suggested fish oil, and the next thing you know it's flying off the shelf and we're getting five phone calls a day about the stuff!

Scatterbrain...oops, sorry. To answer your question, it is a little ceramic pot, looks kind of like a small tea pot. You put warm water and some non-iodized sea salt in there and then irrigate your sinuses by leaning over a sink with your head tilted to the side and pouring the saline into your nose. Then you blow out lots of good stuff, do some toe touches to get it all moving around in there, and repeat on the other side. It takes a bit to get used to it, and may sound like quite a production, but in a short time you get the hang of it, and it is no big deal. i am always amazed at how much better I feel after using mine, even if I am not feeling bad to begin with. Aside from relieving congestion, it removes germs and debris that could cause sickness. I can't remember the actual percentage, but a lot of our sicknesses are contracted through our nose. If you ever have an infection, you can add Varcho Veda aromatic netti wash plus to your salt water. It has a bunch of aromatic essential oils and zinc for an extra punch. There is a book also (can't remember the title right now) that tells how you can add different things like cinnamon and tulsi tea and sesame oil(seperately) for different physical and spiritual aspects. Very popular in the yoga community. Can be found either at a yoga studio or at most health food stores. You can just buy bulk non-iodized sea salt instead of the more expensive netti pot salt. Just make sure it is pure sea salt, with no anti caking ingredients. Fine salt dissolves the best.
#15 of 15 Old 12-10-2007, 01:46 PM

I was going to ask whether anyone had luck with the netti pot. When I was doing yoga regularly I was doing jal netti (but by just cupping some warm salt water in my hand and sniffing it up my nose and spitting it out my mouth). I have chronic non-allergenic rhinitis that gets worse in the winter and during pregnancy, so this is really a drag for me right now. The jal netti seemed to help a little but it was a pain, so I got out of the habit.
I keep meaning to try the neti pot, but honestly, some mornings I don't even think I could get anything through one of my nostrils. Ugh. Anyway, opinions on this? Maybe I'll see if I can find one - I think our Whole Foods and alternative book store might sell them...

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page