How many calories needed? High-caloric foods? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-07-2007, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Twin moms needing 2800 calories a day got me thinking. How many calories does a pregnant mom of a singleton need? I imagine this number has to vary, depending on your starting weight (i.e. underweight, average or overweight), right?

Let's brainstorm some good caloric-producing foods that aren't necessarily high in sugar or saturated fat. We could all benefit, I think! Right now, I'm stumped! Anyone else have good ideas?

Earlier this year, I was on a low-carb (south beach diet kind of thing) diet and really am missing the quantity of veggies I was eating. Carbs are just quick and easy to fix. I need to get back on my veggie kick!
#2 of 9 Old 12-07-2007, 06:30 PM

Brownies! Ha ha, just kidding.

Beans? I like to eat lots of beans with avocado and salsa.

I think 2500 hundred calories is what is typical for a pregnant or lactating woman.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#3 of 9 Old 12-07-2007, 06:39 PM

I am ATTEMPTING to do more bang for the buck foods, as well ...

like ...
whole milk yogurt ... protein+calcium
tuna (but I haven't had any in a while .. the thought of opening the can makes me queasy!) ... sprinkle some shredded cheese in there as well
black beans (once again, normally love them ... the thought of them DOES not appeal to me right now)

DH made some tortillini the other day, and shredded up some leftover turkey in the sauce ... YUM!

scrambled eggs .. with cheese
rice .. with cheese (do you see a pattern here!)

had a chicken quesadillia yesterday .... sour cream, and .... yes ... CHEESE!!

Let's get the ideas rolling!!!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#4 of 9 Old 12-07-2007, 07:28 PM

peanut butter
#5 of 9 Old 12-07-2007, 09:01 PM

milk or soy beverage.
Nuts
Whole grain bread

I made a really good/easy cassarole the other night (found the recipie on the Campbells website
It had veggies, wild rice, mush soup chicken and cheese. It was awesome and filling.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#6 of 9 Old 12-07-2007, 10:07 PM

I forgot about peanut butter ... probably since I am out of crackers!!

Edamame!!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#7 of 9 Old 12-07-2007, 11:27 PM

Cheese. Man I like cheese.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#8 of 9 Old 12-08-2007, 12:36 AM

I just googled pregnancy and recommended calories. I am astonished at the lack of info on calories and, what little there is, does not agree.

I've never thought about eating during pregnancy in terms of calories I guess. Just the ole protein, protein, protein thing. I didn't count calories last time and did great. Just ate healthy. But a large part of pregnancy was during summer and there was such a nice selection of seasonal fruits. That makes it so much easier!

Anyway, one website says preg. women should take in 1900-2500 cal/day depending on your starting weight. Basically, you need an extra 300 (included in the above totals) a day during pregnancy.

Ex.
-1 cup of non-fat fruit yogurt and a medium apple
-1 piece of whole wheat toast spread with 2 tablespoons peanut butter
-1 cup of beef and bean chili sprinkled with 1/2 ounce cheddar cheese
-1 cup of raisin bran cereal with 1/2 cup of non-fat milk and a small banana
-3 ounces roasted lean ham or chicken breast and 1/2 cup sweet potatoes
-1 flour tortilla (7-inch), 1/2 cup refried beans, 1/2 cup cooked broccoli, and -1/2 cup cooked red pepper.

There was one site that had a pastries/snacks category. It recommended only 1 chocolate bar, at most, a day I thought that was hysterical!

This time around I'm thinking about nutrient dense foods - nuts (butters, milks), avocados, fresh fruits and veggies, fresh juices, and salads. Not high calories BUT very high nutritionally with easily assimilated vit/min.

So here's my tip: Over the past year I've been drinking alot of green smoothies. Google it, you'll find tons of info. Anyway, it's basically a water, greens, banana, and fruit smoothie. Sounds gross but it's not and you can adjust the portions. My kids will even drink them. I do sweet smoothies not savory but that's always an option. The theory is it's difficult to actually chew greens thoroughly enough to get all the nutrients in digestible form so blending them takes the work out.

My typical recipe is usually a couple of handfuls of spinach with water to blend, then a banana or two and a couple of cups of frozen fruit - usually strawberries. Or OJ and Spinach is really good, too(think of the iron you'll be absorbing!). Some greens taste "greener" than others. Spinach is pretty bland. Romaine is okay but just do a little at a time or it stands out. Any green will work, any fruit will work. Mix it up.

April
#9 of 9 Old 12-08-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfinbaby View Post

So here's my tip: Over the past year I've been drinking alot of green smoothies. Google it, you'll find tons of info. Anyway, it's basically a water, greens, banana, and fruit smoothie. Sounds gross but it's not and you can adjust the portions. My kids will even drink them. I do sweet smoothies not savory but that's always an option. The theory is it's difficult to actually chew greens thoroughly enough to get all the nutrients in digestible form so blending them takes the work out.

My typical recipe is usually a couple of handfuls of spinach with water to blend, then a banana or two and a couple of cups of frozen fruit - usually strawberries. Or OJ and Spinach is really good, too(think of the iron you'll be absorbing!). Some greens taste "greener" than others. Spinach is pretty bland. Romaine is okay but just do a little at a time or it stands out. Any green will work, any fruit will work. Mix it up.

April

Great info, thanks!!

I've been craving spinach, but I like to add a hard-boiled egg to it, and I've been just a little too grossed out by the idea of smelling/eating the egg... plus, I'm too lazy to boil the egg : ... so I've skipped the spinach, too. I think I'll try this tomorrow morning!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page