Dual DDC lurker intro - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-08-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been lurking over here a while and I thought I would come say "Hi!"

I am Heather, Mama to 3 boys, expecting my fourth and last in June. I am due 5/30/08, but I tend to go a week late, so I figured I better get a bit more active over here since I likely will be delivering with you ladies.

I am planning a hospital delivery with a midwife who is known for being great in allowing mamas to labor/deliver without much monitoring. I am hoping to be able to afford a doula and would like to labor/deliver without meds. I tend to have an easy time until they start interventions (I have yet to deliver without pitocin) so I am hoping 3rd time is a charm (I adopted my oldest, I "labored" him in a courthouse...no pitocin needed ).

Anyways, nice to "meet" you all!

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#2 of 5 Old 12-08-2007, 07:16 PM

I may be in the same boat (dd June 5, so could be a May baby.)
Anyways, welcome!
#3 of 5 Old 12-09-2007, 06:46 AM

Welcome, mama. I am one that tends to go late as well, so that would be weird to decide which DDC to do. Have you looked for a doula in training? Alot of times they will be offering to do births for free to get their cert.
#4 of 5 Old 12-09-2007, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

I have, and I found a few that were $250 instead of $500, but I would rather pay more for someone who comes highly recommended.

See, last time we had a doula, she pretty much abandon us when I could not take the maxed-out-dose of pitocin contractions and after an hour of not being able to stay on top of the pain begged for drugs. She also tried to assert herself over my DH and then as soon as our son was born she was like "see ya" and never contacted us again. No birth story, no post-partum visit, etc. DH was VERY unhappy with her and it was a huge uphill battle to even get him to consider a doula again.

The OB that works over my midwife is very strict about who he "allows" his patients to work with. The doula I did not care for and her partner are on the "black list" so to say, and they have four they prefer their women to work with. I have talked to one of the doulas on the list who comes highly recommended and is super sweet and we are going to interview her in January. I am trying to save my pennies to pay for her fee, and the rest I will pull from savings.

Thanks for the welcome guys, it's nice to not be the only one who does not know the gender of my baby, or the only one who is not doing the happy dance for already being 20 weeks. In fact I am so confident this baby is going to be a June-bug that I have two extra *s behind 40 weeks in my ticker.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#5 of 5 Old 12-10-2007, 01:28 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your past doula experience! That is LAME!!! I am a doula and I am always disappointed to hear a story like that because I feel like it gives doulas a bad name. I am glad to hear you are open to trying again though. I think it is wise to go by word of mouth rather than cost. Those who are good are talked about highly, and are worth their fee, and usually are liked by OB's midwives, etc as far as working with them at a birth. That can greatly contribute to an optimum birth experience for you. I hope you can find a few to interview personally, face-to-face, and decide who is the best fit. I would also hope you get to sign a contract stating what the doula does and does not provide in her services, so that you can know what you are getting, and if for some reason the contract was not comletely fulfilled you could work it our with the doula. I did my training through DONA and found it to be really thorough, and they have a strong set of standards and clear scope of practice. You could go on DONA.org to find doulas in your area. Good luck, and welcome to the June mamas!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page