A happy birth story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-10-2007, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday we went over to visit a friend and her 2-week old baby. I thought I'd share her birth story because it sounds like it was great (this is her first baby). First a bit of background - she decided she'd have her baby in our major teaching hospital downtown - this is super posh, but literally a "baby factory" (like 40+ births per DAY). This is the same place I had my son via scheduled c/s (breech). It is a "machine" as far as you go in and out comes a baby. They can be pretty intervention-happy, but as long as things go well, depending on your care provider, one *can* have a drug-free birth and I've heard of several stories. She was not dead set on doing it drug free - figured she'd go in, do her best without any drugs, see how things went, and be flexible. She had a doula and a regular OB/GYN for a doc.

Anyway, her water broke Sunday AM 2 weeks ago while she was at the gym. They went shopping, walked around, she still hadn't gone into labor by around 5:00 PM and they decided to check into the hospital. Anyway, hospital folks wanted to pit her right away because she hadn't started labor. She protested but somehow it got started anyway - must not have complained about it enough. Anyway, they had the pit on for about 30 minutes when her contractions started on their own and she got them to shut it off.

She hung out until about 10 PM and then they checked her - she was at 8 cm. They called her doc. 2 hours later she started pushing, pushed for 45 minutes, and out came her beautiful 7# 11 oz baby! It was a completely easy, drug-free (minus the small amount of pitocin up front) delivery.

Always nice to hear happy birth stories. May all of ours be that easy!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#2 of 5 Old 12-10-2007, 12:45 PM

Yay! Congratulations to them! Was that her first birth?
#3 of 5 Old 12-10-2007, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjasma View Post
Yay! Congratulations to them! Was that her first birth?
Yes - her first one.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#4 of 5 Old 12-10-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltroy View Post
Yes - her first one.
Yay that gives me hope! I'm going into the hospital with a bad attitude just 'cause I know how quickly and easily you can get bullied into something you don't want.
#5 of 5 Old 12-10-2007, 01:29 PM

What a good story.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page