any nursing moms w/ toddlers actually getting exercise? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-10-2007, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have so many good intentions about exercising (I did really great when pregnant with #1), but I'm having a terrible time doing it. Mornings is when DS *really* wants to nurse, so I don't get out then (plus, I've always been a terrible morning exerciser). Evenings after work is the only other time during the day I have with him, plus sometimes DH is out of town, so I don't get to exercise then. Then I put DS to be around 7:00 and eat dinner (sometimes before, sometimes after). Who wants to exercise on a full stomach? Plus, the sidewalks are icy and it's cold and dark out. Ugh.. this is terrible! Am I the only one who is having an awful time?

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#2 of 12 Old 12-10-2007, 01:26 PM

Um, absolutely no exercise here. I took a prenatal water class w/ DD that was SO GREAT. I have no idea how I'm going to make that happen this time. Plus the 5 miles of walking per week that MW requires. I can't even make it to the end of the block in this weather. :

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#3 of 12 Old 12-10-2007, 01:35 PM

none here, either ....
I'm calling today re: prenatal yoga, and water classes, to check the cost. Then, I'll have to get there .....

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#4 of 12 Old 12-10-2007, 03:00 PM

Um, nope. Semester ends on Thursday and that's about all I'm worried about right now. Sucks b/c I was super active w/ Nora's pregnancy and felt great. Haven't been to a single yoga class or on a walk in about a month or so, and I feel lousy.

Best of intentions for next semester, but we'll see..............................
#5 of 12 Old 12-10-2007, 03:45 PM

I was taking a non pre-natal yoga class at my local community center before I found out I was pregnant. Last week was the first week (14 weeks) I wasn't able to participate fully. I have 2 weeks left before the end of the class. After this class, I think I'm going to sign up for a "revving" class (group bicycling) as I think I'll be able to do that throughout the 2nd trimester.

I know the only way I'll get consistent exercise is to schedule a class that I had to pay for! The comm. center has a kids' care center that dd (2 1/2) seems to like enough to be there for the duration of the class so that's working really well. We also joined the comm. center so we can go swimming as often as we'd like (been twice in the last week).

I've never been a great exerciser, pregnant or not, so this is actually kind of fun to get into a routine of sorts. Even if it's only once or twice/week!
#6 of 12 Old 12-10-2007, 03:59 PM

I have a gym membership, but it's one of those goofy limited ones where you can only go 4 days a week. Four *certain* days - M, W, F, Sun. So I typically do try to get to the gym most of those days to make the monthly expense worth it (hee, even if I do spend a bit of time peeing all by myself). Except when I'm exhausted (I refuse to drive when I'm tired - just not a good idea), the roads are incredibly dangerous, or hubby's out of town because the kids hate the kid room/daycare there. I usually end up going at 9pm after the kids are in bed, which is a little annoying. But whatever. I didn't go last night because I was really tired, and then ended up sewing pancakes until 2am. Gah. Darn insomnia.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#7 of 12 Old 12-10-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
ended up sewing pancakes until 2am. Gah. Darn insomnia.
What??!! Okay, you gotta explain what you were sewing pancakes for! Sounds like something only my mom would do - i.e. making "play food" for dd's kitchen.
#8 of 12 Old 12-10-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylahroo View Post
What??!! Okay, you gotta explain what you were sewing pancakes for! Sounds like something only my mom would do - i.e. making "play food" for dd's kitchen.
Yeah, click my blog. Photos on there somewhere, but not of the pancakes. Yet.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#9 of 12 Old 12-10-2007, 04:42 PM

My kids aren't exactly toddlers anymore...but I only got into a good work out routine when I invested in a gym membership with a nice child watch area. And, it took time to get them comfortable. Now that they are comfortable I get to actually take some exercise classes.

Best wishes....maybe you could tour some local gyms.
#10 of 12 Old 12-10-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth View Post
My kids aren't exactly toddlers anymore...but I only got into a good work out routine when I invested in a gym membership with a nice child watch area. And, it took time to get them comfortable. Now that they are comfortable I get to actually take some exercise classes.

Best wishes....maybe you could tour some local gyms.
I do the same....take my kids to the care center at the gym on Saturdays. The other 2-3 days that i work out I go later at night...around 8. I eat dinner after I work out...that works well too b/c I usually don't feel like eating much after working out.
#11 of 12 Old 12-11-2007, 02:34 AM

Ummm, sounds like I'm in the same boat as some of you... I was really very active with pg1, and just can't seem to find the time/motivation this time around. It's just too cold to take ds out for walks with me right now, so I have to figure out how to squeeze it in when dh is home. I'm hoping to do prenatal yoga again, too, but with the weather being so unpredictable I'm hesitant to sign up for a class when I may miss some if I can't get there...
#12 of 12 Old 12-11-2007, 09:54 AM

excercise..what's that?

I haven't excercised in weeks. I feel really crappy about it, but I have no motivation. I am hoping that I will be able to excercise more in the new semster. I have a 2 hr window between a couple of classes and our university has a couple gyms, so there really is no reason not to excercise. Unless of course, I used that rtime for studying, but we'll see. I really need to do something. I used to take ballet 3 days a week, and now that we live here it just isn't possible, but I miss it a lot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page