How did you share the good news?!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-11-2007, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering how everyone told their family/friends that there will be a new little one (or a couple new little ones) joining everyone in June?

We are traveling to the in-laws for an early Christmas tomorrow and are planning on telling that side of the family by having our DD wear a shirt that says..."Have you heard the buzz... (picture of bee), I'm going to be a big sister!"

The only problem is, DD doesn't know yet!?! Ahhh! I don't know how to tell her - she's going to be SOOO excited, but I'm still not sure how to do it - so I was wondering how others spread the news (especially to little ones - she's 3)! Plus I love to hear the stories to get myself excited about sharing the news, we haven't really told many people at all - I've kinda liked the secret/been weary of telling others, but my husband says it's time to tell - so please share your stories!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 PM

We told my parents by writing a card and handing it to them. It said "Dear Mimi and Papa [my parents, to my son], I'm so glad Mom and Dad are taking me to visit you in New Hampshire. My big brother James says you're the greatest! I can't wait to meet you in June. Love, Svetlana or Paco [we joked about naming baby #2 something terribly ethnic and funny]"

Maybe with your DD you can get a picture of a baby and put it in an envelope under the Christmas tree (if you celebrate Christmas) and when she opens it you can explain. Or get a pair of booties and wrap them up under the tree and have her open them for the new baby... Or get a copy of "I'm a Big Sister" or similar book.

We still haven't explained it to our son yet but he's only 18 months old, so I think we'll wait until I'm showing a bit more so he gets it.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#3 of 8 Old 12-11-2007, 05:07 PM

I set up a mass E-mail for x-mass morning with a announcement card form Evite.com. That way everyone finds out at the same time and no one can be hurt because someone else found out fist. Who ever opens there email first will be the first to know but all will be sent at 8 am.

My kids know but have not told anyone.

: mom of Gavin Rhain and Grant, Doula
#4 of 8 Old 12-11-2007, 06:01 PM

For my parents, we gave them a little baby picture frame with a cute little note where the picture would be "coming soon, new grand-baby in June" or something like that. For DPs folks, our plan is to get them a picture frame with four mats, and put a picture of the three current grandkids in three of the spots, and a similar note in the fourth. If nothing else, its an easy x-mas gift
#5 of 8 Old 12-11-2007, 06:20 PM

We told DS right away that there was a baby in mama's belly. So then we called the grandparents and my sister and had him tell them "There's a baby in my mama's belly!" It was a blast

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#6 of 8 Old 12-11-2007, 09:07 PM

My parents don't live close by so I just had to call and tell them. But as for when I told DH, he was at work when I found out and I asked him to bring me the car so I could go visit my sister, I showed him the test when he got home. We "told" a portion of his family by putting a "I'm going to be a Big Brother" shirt on DS, didn't take them long at all to realize his shirt said something and read it outloud and then realized what it said. It was pretty fun.
#7 of 8 Old 12-12-2007, 03:57 AM

We were planning a trip to Michigan in Oct and DD knows some sign language. We made a story book with her doing her sings and the second from last page had her pointing to my belly saying baby. The last page was her picture saying Big Sister. I was going to have my mom or sister read it to her.

But then some local girl took it upon herself to email my family ahead of time telling them for me.

because we have such a huge family, we made little annoucements for dd to hand to some of the Aunts and Cousins.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2.../bigsister.jpg
#8 of 8 Old 12-12-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisCrunch View Post
We were planning a trip to Michigan in Oct and DD knows some sign language. We made a story book with her doing her sings and the second from last page had her pointing to my belly saying baby. The last page was her picture saying Big Sister. I was going to have my mom or sister read it to her.

But then some local girl took it upon herself to email my family ahead of time telling them for me.

Oh my goodness, after you went to ALL that work to make something so special, somebody just went and blew it for you!?!!?? I would be !!! I'm so sorry mama!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page