just curious ?? regarding low frills prenatal care? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-11-2007, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I am going in on Friday for my second prenantal, the first chance to hear the heartbeat. But, I was curious about something for mom's who don't use doppler?? What other ways can I assure myself that the baby is fine??

I ask because on a mainstream board that I read, there seems to be a number of moms with missed abortions at their 12 week appointment. I have all the pregnancy symptoms, I can feel my uterus above my pubic bone (this is pregnancy #2) and all of that, is that enough to be confident that all is well?

This may seem like a silly question, but I am curious. I feel really good about this pregnancy, so I am not overly concerned that there is something wrong. But, I guess I like to worry! With dd's first ultrasound at 20 weeks, the first thing I said to the tech was "just tell me there is a head!!"

Thanks in advance!

Jacqueline
#2 of 6 Old 12-11-2007, 06:35 PM

I would guess that the reason there are more miscarriages on the mainstream board is that there are MORE moms on there. Like babycenter for example.....zillions of people lurk and post. About 25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage by the 12th week (give or take) so that adds up to alot of moms on a birth board.

that being said....if you "feel" pregnant and are not experiencing miscarriage symptoms, you are PROBABLY fine that isn't to say that every miscarriage has symptoms of course, but if you aren't willing to do a doppler than all you can do is have faith that everything is ok!! If it is stressing you out so much that it is affecting you, I would think that the doppler for a few seconds would be less risk than the stress.....but only you know how much it's bugging you
#3 of 6 Old 12-11-2007, 06:40 PM

If it will give you peace of mind hearing a heart beat via doppler, I really don't think a few seconds will do any harm to your baby. I personally don't have a problem with dopper - it's sound waves just like ultrasound - and when used infrequently and judiciously, I think it's generally more good than bad.

BUT that said, there's no real reason you NEED to hear the heart beat. It will not change the outcome of your pregnancy. If you're going to miscarry, it will happen regardless of what you hear.

As I said, I like the reassurance, and I don't have a problem with it. For me, it's one of the things that makes the baby "real" until I can start feeling kicks. And it's fun. : yummmm. Babies.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#4 of 6 Old 12-11-2007, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I just reread my post and I wasn't clear. I am going to use the doppler at my 12 week appointment!! I agree that a few minutes for the reassurance is fine. I am actually also getting the NT scan this time around.

I was just curious about moms who don't go for all the extra stuff. Just as a way to reassure myself between appointments that all is ok.

I'll let you gals know on Friday how it all turns out!! I am sure it is fine, like I said I am a worrier. That, and it really is amazing how attached you can get to a baby almost from the start, you know!

jj
#5 of 6 Old 12-11-2007, 06:59 PM

I guess some moms don't need to reassure themselves - just a deep belief that pregnancy is normal and what will be will be. I didn't get an US with my last pg and I won't this time either (unless something warrants one - like vag bleeding).

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student
#6 of 6 Old 12-11-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyminer View Post
I guess some moms don't need to reassure themselves - just a deep belief that pregnancy is normal and what will be will be. I didn't get an US with my last pg and I won't this time either (unless something warrants one - like vag bleeding).
Exactly. This would define me. I have a very deep belief that pregnancy is normal and natural and were I to M/C, I would eventually. I wouldn't want to find out there's no baby there and sit and wait, what could be weeks, for the baby to pass. At least this way, every day can be blissfully happy. If I'm going to M/C, it'll happen one day. Or it won't.

I'm one of those that have to wait to have confirmation. I really have never heard the HB well with any of my pregnancies. While my MW can usually hear it by 20 weeks, I've never been able to pick it up very well with the fetoscope. For me, the biggest confirmation of being pregnant is movement! Which I should be starting to feel regularly by 20 weeks, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page