OT - It's aaaaaalll gone :( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-12-2007, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been writing for a long time, and I've computerized my writing for a long time as well. Recently, my DH bought himself an external hard drive from Western Digital to store his photography (after a disastrous internal hard drive crash), and when his needs outgrew the device, he gave it to me to put my stories, poems and essays. I thought they were all safe and sound on that little device, even when DH reformatted our hard drive to get rid of some viruses. A few months ago, I tried to plug it into the newly reformatted computer and...zilch. The Hard drive doesn't work anymore. It's like the computer doesn't recognize it!

I'm desperately trying to find a way to retrieve the data. I have YEARS worth of stories stored on it, including the first story I ever wrote for my SS, and I'm devastated at the idea of having to start over.
#2 of 4 Old 12-12-2007, 12:09 PM

Go to one of those computer fix-it places. They have ways to scan even a water damaged disk to get data. The data could still be there..it might be that it just can't read it. Don't give up hope yet.
#3 of 4 Old 12-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Yes, definitely ask a pro. We had some photos on a crashed hard drive that we thought were lost forever, but they were able to (miraculously) retrieve them. Good luck!
#4 of 4 Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 PM

How frustrating! I agree ask a pro. My brother's computer has had a catastrophic hard drive failure (maybe twice actually... he seems to have bad luck). He has managed to salvage his stuff by getting someone to do it for him. He's a composer, so for him it was ALL of his recent music. They may charge you, but it's worth it.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page