Homebirth roll call thread for June 2008 babies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there are Homebirth roll call or support thread for June 2008 babies? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 PM

I guess you started it! This will be my second homebirth I am SO excited, too. Paddy will be almost 3 and Henri will be almost 2 when the baby is born. I bought some books to read to them and help them understand what's happening to Mama and what happens when the baby comes. In case you want to check them out:

Baby On the Way by the Sears (fantastic, AP-oriented book, easily adapted to fit homebirthing parents)
The New Baby by Fred Rogers (has a great picture of a woman breastfeeding and a dad babywearing! )

They both love patting my belly and saying "baby". Its so important for me to have them involved in this whole process, and not being separated from them is a huge influence in my home birthing decision. When Henri was born, Paddy wasn't quite a year old yet. There was no way I was leaving a baby that young alone for any reason. DH brought Paddy in to see his new baby brother moments after he was born, that was really special.
#3 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions, I will check them out!

This is my fourth birth -- as you can tell from my siggy. But this is my first homebirth. I have quite a few local friends who have homebirthed and I was there at the homebirth of my little sister when I was 4.5 -- which I remember profoundly.

My kids are excited that they will be able to see the baby right away and that I will not be going away somewhere. The planning for the HB has me excited.

I am still picking out midwives and I have an interview in about 2 weeks. I have the conversation with my OB next week (wonderful lady, very well educated on the evidence as to birth and labor) and she is going to assist me and picking out a midwife. I am excited about that support.

My parents and husband are supportive, my friends are supportive. I have not told my work colleagues (save 1) but I do not plan to. If they ask, after the fact, I will mention it, but otherwise I do not see the point in bringing it up.

I am glad to have this thread -- we can check in, offer suggestions, etc!
#4 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 03:35 PM

This is # 3 for me and my first home birth. My DH is quite unsure about the whole thing. My Mom and Dad are ok with it. and the in-laws do not know about it and will not until after it happens. This will be the first home birth in our families ever. I am really excited about it.

: mom of Gavin Rhain and Grant, Doula
#5 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 04:07 PM

This is my 5th baby and 4th homebirth. I've always birthed in water. Love it and can't wait to do it again!!
#6 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 04:25 PM

this is my second planned hb. My first ended up as a transfer(long labor, threw in the towel after 40 hours)
This time I am NOT leaving my home unless medically necessary! The big joke around here is making sure the chain and padlocks are here for the birth! But in all seriousness, I feel much more trusting and confident this time around, and have some great support for the more challenging times of labor. Looking forward to cuddling up with my family in our own bed afterwards.
#7 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 04:26 PM

This is my 4th babe and 3rd hb. My first was at a bc - which is like giving birth in someone else's house imo. I learned my lesson after that. Just stay home!

I love hbing. Wouldn't have it any other way. As for kids at the birth... My ds was in and out of the room with #2. I just read my birth story the other day. He would come in and show me toys, rub my legs, then go play. I don't remember this part but apparently he bent down while I was laboring on teh toilet to see if anything was coming out, lol. He was 4. He watched her being born but doesn't remember anything now. He's 9. The 3rd birth he came to check on me but it just wasn't that enthralling for him. I have 2 dds now and I hope to imprint a positive birth picture in their minds by letting them watch the birth if they wish.

With so many kids - my biggest concern is childcare now. Ugh. I have 2 kids that fight like crazy and that's the last thing I'm going to listen to while I'm birthing. And I have never birthed "after hours." It's always daytime going into night. I'm seriously going to try and visualize a late night birthing.

I'm getting a birth pool this time, too. For different reasons it hasn't worked out in the past but I'm hoping it does this time.

April
#8 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 04:39 PM

5th child , 2nd homebirth!!

My first two kiddos were born at a free-standing birth center, my third was a c-section, my 4th was a HBAC, and this will be another HBAC.
#9 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 05:09 PM

I'm still weighing my options, but I'm leaning very strongly towards homebirth right now. Just waiting to hear from some midwives - thanks to the lovely birth climate in this damn state, finding one is all about finding someone who knows someone and hoping they can take you on. Sigh.

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#10 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacieD View Post
I'm still weighing my options, but I'm leaning very strongly towards homebirth right now. Just waiting to hear from some midwives - thanks to the lovely birth climate in this damn state, finding one is all about finding someone who knows someone and hoping they can take you on. Sigh.
Lacie I see you are in Chicago -- I know how limited our options are. I wish the state legislature would write the darn regulations as it is finally legal now for direct entries to practice -- but the regs are not in place yet.

Have you talked to the licensed midwifes and docs that practice HB? By my count there are about 4-5 options in the Chicagoland area...... I would be curious as to who you interviewed -- if you feel up to it - -pm me and we can chat about it.
#11 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 06:24 PM

I have a friend who practices in NC where midwifery is illegal. I was telling dh about it and he was totally appalled. I'm the crunchy half of our relationship but it seem so absurb to him that women can't legally have mw attended births in some states. I looked up the stats just out of curiosity and it's just ridiculous. I don't know how they keep it alive here it TX - I wouldn't call it a liberal state. But it's happening AND not too long ago we even added "Conscientious Objecter" to medical and religious exemptions to vaxes. There's not many upsides to living in TX (says a native Texan) but there's mws, vax exemptions, and Austin
#12 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 07:16 PM

2nd planned HB. Transferred to hosp with DS (complications). Staying home with this one. Can't wait.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#13 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 07:32 PM

This will hopefully be my second homebirth! I have the most awesomest midwife in the world who is totally hands off, so I home to birth mostly unassisted. My only concern right now is how my 3yo will handle it. He seems to have a hard time whenever I am in pain, but I don't want to send him to a friend's either.
#14 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cuties View Post
Lacie I see you are in Chicago -- I know how limited our options are. I wish the state legislature would write the darn regulations as it is finally legal now for direct entries to practice -- but the regs are not in place yet.

Have you talked to the licensed midwifes and docs that practice HB? By my count there are about 4-5 options in the Chicagoland area...... I would be curious as to who you interviewed -- if you feel up to it - -pm me and we can chat about it.
So far I've emailed Sarah Simmons and Judith Wrzesinski, and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I've also talked to a CPM in Rockford, but I worry that all 3 of them will be too far from me (I'm in Streamwood). Sending you a PM!

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#15 of 84 Old 01-07-2008, 12:26 AM

This is babe #4 and homebirth #4. I have an "underground" midwife I love and used with my last birth. KY is not a very friendly midwife state but CO is where I had two of my homebirths.
I am the oldest of 3 born at home so I am a 2 generation homebirther. Also my MIL gave birth at home to her last babe after two bad birth experiances.
I had one attempted water birth but ended up pushing outside of the tub after I had pushed to long without progress, one quick water birth, and my last on hands and knees on my bed. I am not sure what I'll choose for this one. I always thought I would never give birth without water, but last time you could not have gotten me in water. I'll be interested to see what happens. The one thing I would like this time is a hired photographer-I really want a well documented birth this time!

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#16 of 84 Old 01-07-2008, 12:41 AM

Planning my second homebirth here. My first birth was fantastic - a little hands-on, maybe, but an incredible first birth, all around. This time we're going to keep it low-key, almost a UC, but I'm inviting a friend who can help out if there are complications.

I am really excited! I do birth work, so its been hard to focus on me and my pregnancy - I am really looking forward to a bit of a ramp-down over the next few months so I can start to center and prepare for this birth.

Childcare is going to be tricky, even though we just have one. All my friends who I'd be comfortable helping with DS (and being in my house while I labor) will have new babes, so we still haven't figured out what we'll do. I guess I'm hoping for another fast overnight birth - but counting on that will just make it not happen
#17 of 84 Old 01-07-2008, 01:35 AM

This will be my 3rd baby, and 3rd home birth! I'm really excited about this one. I think I'm going to try the water this time!
#18 of 84 Old 01-07-2008, 01:36 AM

I am hoping to have my first home birth. DH is a bit leery because CPM are not legal here, so hopefully once he meets the midwife he will feel better about it.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#19 of 84 Old 01-07-2008, 02:05 AM

First homebirth, and its a VBAC! Im excited, I have a GREAT midiwfe, who actually loves doing VBACs. Im feeling really good about everything. I do have a U/S in about a week to see the placenta position, that will be a deturmining factor in my homebirth, but since I havent had any bleeding, I doubt the placenta is less then optimal.
#20 of 84 Old 01-07-2008, 02:16 AM

Second baby, second homebirth here! I am so looking forward to it. I haven't started thinking ahead too much but I am concerned about childcare for DD. She'll be less than 2 and I'm a REALLY loud birther and I know she'd be scared so she'll need to be elsewhere. This time around like a PP mentioned, I would love to have some professional photos.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#21 of 84 Old 01-07-2008, 04:05 AM

Fourth baby, 3rd HB, 1st UC.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!
#22 of 84 Old 01-07-2008, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfinbaby View Post
I have a friend who practices in NC where midwifery is illegal. I was telling dh about it and he was totally appalled. I'm the crunchy half of our relationship but it seem so absurb to him that women can't legally have mw attended births in some states. I looked up the stats just out of curiosity and it's just ridiculous. I don't know how they keep it alive here it TX - I wouldn't call it a liberal state. But it's happening AND not too long ago we even added "Conscientious Objecter" to medical and religious exemptions to vaxes. There's not many upsides to living in TX (says a native Texan) but there's mws, vax exemptions, and Austin
That is awesome. It is my understanding that in Illinois the direct entries just became legal -- but (big BUT), no regs are in place so they are not legal until the regs are issued. Hopefully, at that time women have more options. The issue in Chicagoland -- is that there are sooooo few options. There are like 5 practice groups servicing the entire area -- which is large. I am sure the the cost of malpractice insurance figures in, as it is expensive in the Chicagoland area.
#23 of 84 Old 01-07-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfinbaby View Post
I have a friend who practices in NC where midwifery is illegal.
To clarify... midwifery and even midwife attended homebirths aren't illegal in NC. You just have to have a CNM, and there are a only a few who attend homebirths.

I volunteer with NCFOM (NC Friends of Midwives) and we're working really REALLY hard right now to get a bill through to legalize CPMs and DEMs. We even have a sponsor!! We made a lot of ground last session and we have high hopes for next year. So, send us good vibes for making homebirth even easier and more accessible than it is right now!
#24 of 84 Old 01-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Banned

#25 of 84 Old 01-07-2008, 11:13 PM

3rd pregnancy, 2nd homebirth, 1st UC!

Doula mama to artistic DD and monster DS. #3 on the way!
HAVE YOU HEARD OF SQUAT ANARCHIST BIRTH JOURNAL YET?? IF NOT, GOOGLE IT!
#26 of 84 Old 01-08-2008, 12:31 AM

First pregnancy (though not our first child) and I'm planning a homebirth. Very excited!
#27 of 84 Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 AM

Thanks for clarifying BMB. That's exactly the position my friend is in - she is not a CNM. She got her credentials here in TX. So now that she's moved to NC she's going back to school to become a CNM. Frustrating for her.

April
#28 of 84 Old 01-08-2008, 01:25 AM

3rd pregnancy, FIRST HOME BIRTH!
and first birth where I WILL NOT BE LAYING ON MY BACK strapped to pukey monitors!!!!!!!
Home in my own bed (or bath) surrounded by candles instead of overhead lighting and enveloped by the love of my family and midwife instead of cold insensitive dr's and staff!
There is not ONE THING I don't look forward to with this birth GOSH I can hardly wait!
#29 of 84 Old 01-08-2008, 01:32 AM

1st pregnancy..
Planning a twin home birth.. hoping and praying things go my way and they stay in there until at least 36 weeks
#30 of 84 Old 01-08-2008, 02:33 AM

huh, I thought I already posted on this thread...

2nd baby here, 1st homebirth, though my dd was at a birth center and my midwife was so hands off it was practically unassisted. I loved it, but didn't love the car ride there, so the idea of laboring at home (and in my garden with fresh rasperries, spinach and sweet peas ripe!) sounds fabulous to me!
I too am trying to nail down details about my dd. I want her there asap, but not sure if during as she is pretty sensitive. I asked her about it, and she is pretty stoked about going to her bff's house for a few hours. Ideally, I'd like to labor at home with her a little, let her play at her friends, then be home as soon as babe is here. On the other hand, I liked what a pp said about setting the homebirth example for my girl. So glad I have some time left to work out these kinks...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page