Baby has an irregular heart beat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-17-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This morning getting ready for my appointment I was feeling uneasy and like it was going to be a bad day. I've been a little concerned because I had been starting to feel the baby move regularly since Christmas, then I felt some really frantic movement about a week ago that seemed a little too strong, and have felt nothing since.

Well the appointment was going good it was with one of my favorite CNMs, and mostly I was just anxious to get to hear the heartbeat... I felt so relived when she put the Doppler up to my belly and immediately found a strong HB. Then a few seconds later a worried look on her face, and she said "sounds like it skipped a beat" then we all listened and it was pretty obvious that the hear was beating bum bum bum bum bum woosh bum bum bum bum woosh... it was skipping every 6th beat or so. She said "that's an irregular heart beat" and my heart kind of sank.

She really didn't tell us much about what this could mean, and when I asked her if it's a problem that may just correct it's self she didn't really say yes, just said we need to keep monitoring it. She wants me to wait a couple of weeks to schedule an ultrasound, so the baby will be bigger and easier to see, but of course I want one right away to know what's going on.

Has anyone else ever heard an irregular heartbeat with a doppler? Does anyone know what this could mean? I'm kind of freaking out a little here...
#2 of 20 Old 01-17-2008, 10:28 PM

How scary....don't have any info for you, but I couldn't read and not post. Sending good vibes your way.

For what its worth, my little sister had an irregular heartbeat and birth and a heart murmer. It went away by the time she was 10 without ever having serious medical intervention.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#3 of 20 Old 01-17-2008, 10:33 PM

My daughter #2 had an arrythmia after she was born. The doctor said she wouldn't worry unless it didn't clear up by her 3 or 6 month check up. I am not sure which. It cleared itself up, so I didn't really worry.
#4 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 12:08 AM

No advice, but sending good vibes your way.

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

#5 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 12:17 AM

I can't answer your question but wanted to send you some s. I know what it's like to sit and wonder while you wait for something that will hopefully give you a better answer.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
#6 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 12:23 AM

Do you use cocoa butter? A recent study came out linking cocoa butter to fetal heart arrythmias. FWIW fetal heart arrythmias are almost always benign. Hope this helps!
#7 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
My 1st DD had one episode of irregular heartbeats while I was pregnant with her - Dr wasn't really concerned, said that many babies have an episode over a pregnancy and generally it is an isolated event and resolves itself before birth.
I know how hard it is not to worry but try to relax and not think about it.
#8 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 12:43 AM

It is actually normal for unborn babies and neonates to have irregular heart beats. It almost always corrects itself as the baby gets older and bigger. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It can be scary though, I'm sure. All we want is our beans to be healthy. My thoughts are with you!
Tara

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#9 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 12:20 PM

Anything out of the norm is scary. I couldn't wait to get a u/s either. I hope everything turns out okay.

April
#10 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 12:20 PM

Oh mama! your post caught my eye right away! My son had an irregular heartbeat in utero that was detected at about 29 weeks. Same exact thing as your little one. It was absolutely the most nerve wracking thing to experience. I was sooo worried! My mw suggested I go get an u/s and have a cardiologist check it out. We did that, and everything looked ok, but I could no longer have chocolate, decaf tea/coffee, or any stimulants. At that point, we agreed that I would have to have a hospital birth just to be on the safe side(was planning a hb). I continued prenatal care with my mw, and she would act as my "doula" for the birth. WELL! While I was worrying incessantly and agonizing over what I felt was a defeated birth already, the little one's heart fixed itself! At 38 weeks, when I was at a regular prenatal, my mw was listening to the hb and it sounded perfectly normal! She sent me home with a doppler to do some minimal checks myself and to report in three days if there was any change. It sounded normal to me, so I then went to my back-up doc to have her listen too. she said the arythmia had corrected itself, and that it definitely does that sometimes. Had another u/s and a non-stress test just to make sure, and it was perfect So then we went back to the homebirth plan! I would just make an appointment after he was born to see a cardiologist just to make sure all was well. Unfortunately I had the lingering fear and paranoia still in me at the time of labor and ended up having a long labor. I could not open up past 3 cm for over 40 hours! I had this little voice asking what if everything really isn't ok?? I tell you this part because if you happen to have a similar situation, I would suggest really going into that fear and working to fully let it go and trust that everything IS really ok. As others have said, this is something that can be fairly common, and lots of times it corrects itself before babe is born. I know it probably feels so scary right now, but trust in that little miracle growing inside you! Our bodies have intelligence beyond our understanding. Just try to take time in the day to breathe, relax and connect with that babe and let worries roll off of you. I know it is difficult not to worry, but it does no good for you and baby. Relaxing and trustung are the best things you can do. I am thinking of you!
#11 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 12:57 PM

Mamaspirit is exactly right.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Alora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Ailish Brynn Elspeth, 6/12/14!
#12 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 01:07 PM

Agreeing with the last poster. I attended a homebirth as a MW assistant to a Mama that had a DD with the same issue, her other DD actually had the same thing (currently) at age 8. Their ped. and their MW were not concerned. Homebirth and baby were perfect.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#13 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 09:52 PM

I just wanted to give my support.
#14 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 11:05 PM

Just sending a ... I agree with the other mamas... I've heard of cases of fetal arrhythmias that turned out to be completely normal. Hang in there!
#15 of 20 Old 01-18-2008, 11:07 PM

A had 2 babies with irregular heartbeats that were premature atrial contractions that cleared up when they were born. The cardiologist told me this happens in 15% of pregnancies and almost always the baby ends up being ok. You should get a fetal echocardiogram if possible, once you are further along.
#16 of 20 Old 01-19-2008, 02:06 AM

first of all: !!!

second: (sorry, I'm slightly here) but WHAT is it, that doctors can't just tell you exactly what something means?!!!!!

I mean, how lucky that we all have this meeting place to ask questions, find support and GET INFORMATION. But shouldn't that be the doctors job in the first place? Instead of sending you home with a bad feeling, he/she should have given you something to work with, other than 'we should monitor that'.

Arrrgh! this just makes me angry. A friend of mine was pg too and when she went to have her first u/s they couldn't find the baby. So: they sent her home and said, she should come again in two weeks time! In my opinion that's just terrible...

sorry, had to get this off my chest.

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#17 of 20 Old 01-19-2008, 12:21 PM

Just sending my hugs too
I agree that it's probably something that will clear itself up but I understand being worried aobut it...I couldn't help but be worried too
#18 of 20 Old 01-20-2008, 11:08 AM

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
#19 of 20 Old 01-20-2008, 06:42 PM

Just wanted to add my support, too. I hope everything's ok. I'm glad to hear from so many mamas here who have experience with this issue. Keep us posted!
#20 of 20 Old 01-21-2008, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so very much for your support and sharing your stories. I fell a lot better about this after having some time and talking to my HB midwife who assured me that it's probably nothing, and said every time she's ever encountered this problem prenatally it has cleared itself up before birth, so that is a huge relief. I have an ultrasounds scheduled for the 29th, so we shall see what that brings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjapany View Post
first of all: !!!

second: (sorry, I'm slightly here) but WHAT is it, that doctors can't just tell you exactly what something means?!!!!!

I mean, how lucky that we all have this meeting place to ask questions, find support and GET INFORMATION. But shouldn't that be the doctors job in the first place? Instead of sending you home with a bad feeling, he/she should have given you something to work with, other than 'we should monitor that'.

Arrrgh! this just makes me angry. A friend of mine was pg too and when she went to have her first u/s they couldn't find the baby. So: they sent her home and said, she should come again in two weeks time! In my opinion that's just terrible...

sorry, had to get this off my chest.
I agree with you, I found it un-nerving that she expects us to wait 2 weeks to get a U/S after telling us our baby has an irregular heart beat. But then again she is a CNM, use to be a homebirth midwife, my thought was that maybe she doesn't know much about this or the possible implications from the medical side of the issue...?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page