Why is it that I crave alcohol..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Only when I'm pregnant?? Is it the "forbidden fruit"? We went out to eat the the Olive Garden last night, and my husband ordered this drink with Absolut Citron, Tuaca, Sprite, and hunks of fresh fruit. It LOOKED and SMELLED so good...my mouth was watering.

When I'm not pregnant, I'm like ehhh...booze.....but lately I am really really wanting it.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#2 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 PM

I made some 'virgin' Pina Colada's one day (yum) and tried the non-alc. wine at Christmas, but that wasn't too satisfying taste wise.

That drink sounds awesome though. I'm sure I would have been tempted too!
#3 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 01:43 PM

I've had it, too. I started drinking non-alcoholic beer and it's helping. Would grape juice or something similar help?
#4 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 01:48 PM

I'm a new fan of flavored sparkling water. I gave up soda years ago and it's kind of nice having something fizzy back in my life.

I'm going to Vegas in two weeks. (for a seminar) and I'll have to order a Virgin something or nother. I forgot about non-alc beer. But with my belly I still might get some dirty looks.
#5 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 PM

ah.. I'm glad i'm not crazy..

I used to get nauseous at the thought of alcohol...funny story.. or not :/
But I've been craving alcohol a lot recently.. of course even if i wasn't pregnant it's not like i could have it..
#6 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 02:02 PM

For me it was the first trimester. I think maybe feeling sick and stressed made me crave a glass of wine. It has subsided (mostly) but I'm still craving it occaisionally.
#7 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 02:10 PM

I like the non alcoholic ciders.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#8 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 03:08 PM

I've had the craviongs too! But I'm not afraid of half a beer or half a glass of wine, and neither is my midwife. At this point we are growing babies, not developing them anymore. As far as I know, the risk in half a beer is nillish!
But if your not sure, better safe than sorry.
I think in whole I had half a glass of cranberry wine at Thanksgiving and all together 3 half beers. With my first I had a glass of red wine once a week, and the second an occasional half beer. Both midwives were fine with it.
So, I don't know.
#9 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 03:21 PM

Sometimes when my husband is having a beer, I get a strong craving for one. But I find that if I have a sip of his the craving goes away. Of course, at this point in my pregnancy I crave whatever I see anyone else eating or drinking! :-) I'm also of the mindset that a little beer or wine every now and then is fine, so I've had a little bit here and there on special occasions. It definitely helps curb the craving when I don't see it as completely forbidden.
#10 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

see, I wouldn't have a problem with beer or wine (my hubby sure would though...gosh he's a worrywart)

...but I HATE the stuff. When I drink, I can only handle the "hard stuff". Sigh.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#11 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 03:36 PM

Me too! When we were in Mexico over break it was killing me to watch everyone have a yummy margarita.

I have had a beer earlier in the week because DH brought home a special winter ale. A bit of beer or wine now and again, I'm fine with. I wouldn't drink the hard stuff though.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#12 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 04:32 PM

WOw!! I thought I was the only person with this crazy craving.
I rarely drink, but when I'm pregnant I want to drink
jack and coke, wine, margaritas, etc. etc.
It's crazy. I never give in, but boy do I want to!
#13 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 08:25 PM

Oh, count me in! I seldom drink when I'm not pregnant... we have wine fairly regularly (I worked my way through undergrad as a wine steward), but I'm really not too into alcohol overall.

But, jeez, the second I get pregnant I'm a total boozer-wannabe. Margaritas look soooo yummy and dh's glass of scotch or bourbon during the evening news is just an overwhelming scent of yumminess wafting towards me... AND the new Trader Joe's hard ciders are t.e.m.p.t.i.n.g. me. Don't even get me started on Italian dessert wines...............

Eh, I'll wait until the third trimester, but then I'll be comfortable with the occasional glass of wine or hard cider. I usually end up having a few glasses of wine to tone down prodomal labor towards the end.
#14 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 08:34 PM

You aren't the only one craving it! I really want a big fat margaritia.

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

#15 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 09:02 PM

me too, me too! I was at Olive Garden and everyone got these yummy italian margaritas..........oh my!! They get this little glass of amaretto to pore into the margarita so i took their emtpy glasses and dipped my finger in the left over amaretto.

I usually dont care about anything alcohol either. Go figure!!

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#16 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 PM

I am glad to know I'm not alone! I begged my husband to have a beer the other day so I could have a few sips. I wonder if there's something we're missing in our diet? I think I've figured out most of my cravings are related to vitamin deficiency so I wonder if this could be too.

Quoteriginally Posted by aswbarry~A~ Mama to DD 6y, DD , DD 3y and DD 1y
#17 of 23 Old 01-30-2008, 10:54 PM

I'm not a big worry wart about booze - esp. after the first trimester. Dh is in the business of booze so it's always in the house. I get bored with it. He's always opening red wine but one teensy sip gives me heartburn I am totally not into it. However, he also got a box of goodies a few months ago - vodkas, whiskey, etc. And blast it all, he got a bottle of really good amaretto. AHHHH! For awhile it was killing me. I'd literally measure out 1/2 an oz., put an ice cube in it and sip it for an hr. It sucked.

Occasionally, I'll get that feeling I just want to drink. Really drink. I'm not brave enough for that But I partake. We went to the movies the other night and he ordered a couple of Guinness' so I could sip. I don't even like Guinness but it was soooooo good that night. I hear it has some good iron in it

April
#18 of 23 Old 01-31-2008, 11:41 AM

Yea, I'm there with you all and it doesn't help that dh made an amazing homebrew at Christmas. I've been sipping from him occasionally. My friend suggested maybe it was a Vit B deficiency. Not sure, but tomorrow is my 30th birthday and I think I"ll partake in 1/2 a glass of wine! Cheers to me!
#19 of 23 Old 01-31-2008, 11:44 PM

I normally like alcohol so wanting some now is nothing odd... but I have to mention that alcoholism seems to run in my family and so recently I was looking on the internet for information about a connection between alcoholism and nutrition, and there is a connection, apparently. Alcohol is supposed to cause nutritional deficiencies, but apparently some people also think that cravings can result from nutritional issues http://www.holistichelp.net/alcoholism.html

So, this is speculation on my part, but pregnancy is a time when we require extra nutrition and a craving for alcohol, if indeed it is that, might just be a symptom of a need for nutrients. Anyone heard anything to support that? I've heard that chocolate craving is a sign of - is it magnesium? - deficiency - interesting to me because I craved chocolate with my first two pregnancies and not so much with this one.

Wish there were a decent-tasting non-alcoholic beer.

busy mama of three
#20 of 23 Old 02-01-2008, 12:04 PM

With my first pregnancy I craved beer : Just that yeast taste, I guess.

Now I want red wine.
#21 of 23 Old 02-01-2008, 05:16 PM

I would really like a glass of wine or a margarita on the rocks with lime and a lot of salt.
#22 of 23 Old 02-01-2008, 07:21 PM

so funny! I used to be a microbrew lover but gave it up about a year before this babe was concieved, except for the rare special occasion. With my first I was still having beers regularly(non pregnant!)

Last pregnancy I couldn't even stand the smell of alchohol. My friend had these BAiley's candies at Christmas time, and I put one in my mouth and it tasted like grain! I gagged and promptly spit it out!

This pregnancy, in the past few weeks, I have been hitting up my dp for a sip of his beer when he has one, and even my sister in law after she cracked one open at dinner last week! It feels like such a strange phenomenon, especially considering I was not really drinking at all before getting pregnant! It's only beer though.

I want to find out more on a possible deficiency...that makes sense....sort of. Maybe I am just deficient on chilling out
#23 of 23 Old 02-01-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunmamma View Post
Maybe I am just deficient on chilling out
I think that's me, too!

busy mama of three

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page