How long is your dp taking off work when babe arrives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DP has booked off the last week of June. I wanted him to take the last 2 weeks but he figures thats enough. I am kinda ticked. He has no idea what its like, and I do.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 06:39 PM

Well, if my DH has a job by then (which I'm seriously hoping he will), I don't know if he'll be able to take time off. According to the provincial laws, he's allowed to take 5 weeks at 75% pay, but he might split it in two: one week after the baby is born and 4 weeks when my mat leave ends. I kinda wish he could be there for longer, but my mother's taking two weeks off after DH takes his week off to come help me.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:03 PM

My fella is taking 2 weeks in August. He's the business manager for a summer theater and that's the soonest he can get away. I won't be doing anything but baby care in June, no other kids, will quit my job, and I really didn't want to put off getting pregnant any longer, so I understood going in that I'll be on my own for a while. In hindsight, it might have been a little optimistic, but there we are.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:04 PM

DH works from home except for when he's traveling. Last time (when James was born) he basically just didn't schedule any travel for a couple weeks, but he still got work done. He'll probably do the same this time. My mom will be over for about 2 weeks to help out (she just bought her plane tickets!)

My husband *IS* taking 12 weeks FMLA to take care of the baby next January-March when I go back to work full time, so that baby will be a good 9 months old when he/she goes into daycare. He will probably still do some minimal amount of keeping up from home during that period of time, though.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 02-14-2008, 07:05 PM

A week at the most! Starting the day baby is born(whenever that is).
Old 02-14-2008, 07:10 PM

Last time, dh was between medical school and residency and had nearly 6 weeks off (3.5 of it AFTER baby was born). It was so wonderful that we promised, were we to ever have more children, we'd have him take more time again.

This time, he's finishing his 3rd year of residency in June and starting a fellowship program July 1st. Our plan is for him to leave his 3rd year as soon as the baby is born - if this is early June (crossing my fingers), he'll have off the entire month. If it's not until mid-June, then he'll take his 2 weeks of paternity leave and whatever vacation/sick days he still has left for the year. The plan is for him to start his fellowship July 1st, but it's not absolutely necessary, just in case.

He'll be taking another 1-1.5 weeks in August for our summer vacation.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:48 PM

Last time, DH took a month off. It was nice but hard financially.

This time, I don't think he'll be taking much, if any. My mom is going to come up to help with my DS. At least, he doesn't work far from home...so if I need him, he can run home.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:02 PM

I'm aiming for at least a week. Last pregnancy/birth? He took like 2-3 days off. It wasn't pretty. We'll see by week two what's up, and somewhere around weeks 3-4 my mom's coming up for an entire week as well (she'll get to be the kid wrangler while the little one and I go strawberry picking, I hope).

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 PM

Dh owns his own business and is taking a month off, like last time.

Loved that.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:36 PM

DH plans to take off as much as he can, it really depends on how much vacation time he has when DD is born. He planned for 2 weeks when DS was born but only took a week off I think. He knows it will be harder this time around with a toddler and a newborn so he really wants to stay home longer this time. He's also a full-time student so if I have the baby during his finals...lets just hope that doesn't happen.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:44 PM

Last time dh and I were both just finished with our masters degrees and dh accepted a job offer that allowed him to take 6 weeks off. He did some freelance design work during that time, but it was great! Especially because of dd's nicu stay the first two weeks. We were able to be with her in shifts.

This time around, dh will probably only get to take one week off, since he only gets two weeks paid vacay a year. I wish it were longer!! We are looking into fmla to see if he qualifies, but I think it is without pay.

My mom said she would come and help me, but I still can't decide if that will make it easier or harder (my mom can drive me nuts!)

j
Old 02-14-2008, 08:47 PM

I think he technically gets 2 weeks paid, but his boss is very open to him working from home as much as he needs to, so while he probably won't take those 2 weeks totally off, he can stay home as long as I need him to.

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 PM

2 weeks if not more, my dh is going back to "sea" in August so who knows how long he'll be home!!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:52 PM

He gets two or three days from the company, I forget which, and it's kind of up to the engineering manager at the time, but DH is hardly ever out so I'm sure it'll be fine. He's saving up vacation so he can add to it. I think he'll do a week right away, and then we'll play it by ear. When my parents come to visit, he can go in since I'll have help, that kind of thing. When his parents come he has to be home

Our big monkey wrench is that the 3rd week in July I have a major annual conference thing for my business, and I have to have a presence there. The original plan was for us to fly out there and everything but now I'm going to stay home with the kids and DH is going to go with my parents for the week. Blech. But I can't imagine traveling with a newborn and trying to work. Anyway, so he has to blow a week of vacation for that

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 PM

With dd2 he basically spent the four days in the hospital with me - days not the nights. Once home I was really happy being alone just cuddling with babe. The older kids were in school and neighbors brought in dinner so I didn't feel the need to do anything but hold babe during the day. My mom did come a few days after I got home from hospital and she stayed 10 days and took care of me and the house. DH owns his own business so would come and go from the house and do/get what was needed on request. Because I didn't have other little ones at home I didn't really feel the need for him to stay home with me.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

The part that is irritating me is that he gets 6 weeks paid a year. He could totally take off the last 2 weeks in June, but he wants a week ______ and a week ______. My mother will be here around the 15th to help (my due date) so it won't be too bad....he will be able to take unpaid leave for the birth and duration of the hospital stay.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 PM

Does his job need him there? I know with my DH, he would have a huge mess if he was gone for two solid weeks. He has so much stuff to do that he often works overtime, so it would be crazy to try to be out that much. They'd probably be calling him at home anyway asking questions

Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Not really. He is in lower management at a grocery store. There is enough people who do his job that it isn't a big deal.....and no one would call home. Its food, not rocket science.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:17 PM

Oh lord. We are still in negotiations. In canada we get 12 months at 55% pay. 3 months has to be for the mother but the rest can be divided up however you want. So I wanted dh to tke the whole 9 months, and that is what we initially agreed to. He's a teacher so he will be off July and Aug (and will leave the day the baby is born if it is before exams end). Then we will see. He wants to apply for a positin which starts in sept, so obviously he has to be there for that. We were fightning about it so much and there are so many unknowns right now in his school that we decided to just stop talking about it for awhile. I mean we know he has the summer off so I really can't complain, hopefully we will have reached a compromise by sept.

Honestly I wish he could take the last month of school off. I find the end of pregnancy with 2 preschoolers way harder then after the baby is born! But yeah after the baby is born hopefully he will be on the older kids and I can just chill with th ebabe.

It's funny I remember when DS1 was born feeling so overwhelmed and like I really needed Dh there. By the second one, I felt like if he just got the freakin toddler out of my hair everything would be fine, I mean what did I need him for all I had to do was sit there and nurse while I watched TV
Old 02-15-2008, 12:33 AM

DH is self-employed ... so I hope he will be able to take off as much time as possible with me. Of course, I want him working as much as possible now, so that I am not worrying about money .......

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 AM

6 weeks. 2 weeks paid and 4 weeks unpaid. We are using our tax return money to pay for those 4 weeks. I really think I need help with DS, not so much with the new baby. I think it will be hardest on him.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
Old 02-15-2008, 12:48 AM

10 days
Old 02-15-2008, 12:50 AM

DH is not taking any time off. He will be taking his last few classes and can't really afford to miss any of it. My 10yo will be home for the summer and he is super helpful with DS2.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
Old 02-15-2008, 12:59 AM

DH took about 2 weeks off last time, did some working from home, and went in to the office a few times when I had family around for support. I would say his schedule was pretty flexible for another 2 weeks after the official 2 weeks off.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
Old 02-15-2008, 01:29 AM

Since DH will be in the middle of flight school, we have no idea. The most it will be is 5 days. I'm not counting on him being around. I'm really jealous of all of you that will get your SO to stay at home for a few weeks.

The good news is that my mom will be flying down for a month.

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

Old 02-15-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVanessa View Post
Not really. He is in lower management at a grocery store. There is enough people who do his job that it isn't a big deal.....and no one would call home. Its food, not rocket science.
That totally made me laugh!

I'm sorry I would definitely be upset if I asked DH to do something, knowing he could do it, and he just wouldn't. Very hurtful

Old 02-15-2008, 03:01 PM

My DH should have about 3 weeks of paid leave when the baby comes. He will probably take that all at once and then work from home for another couple weeks. Luckily his job is really flexible.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:33 PM

Three weeks. He has his own business, which helps.

Annie '02, Juliet '04, Natalie '07, Maggie '08, Theodore 11/8/10.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:59 PM

My dh gets 2 weeks of paid paternity leave. He also has 3 weeks of vacation to use before September 19-ish. We have a week planned in March and we're kind of leaving the other 2 in case I need him home either before or after the baby's born (he could also get more time with FMLA if he needed, I believe). Either that or we'll just keep his 2 weeks for August and September, maybe stretch it into October so he can take 1 week before ds's birthday in August and another before dd's bday in October. But he'll be home 2 weeks not matter what. If I have a vaginal birth, I should be fine. I'll have the other 2 around to help, since it will be summer vacation, and I won't have to get them to school or anything.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
Old 02-16-2008, 11:57 PM

Mine is taking a week off starting the day the baby is born. I'm glad he is using a week of his precious vacation pay, but I was really hoping he would use both weeks of pay va-cay. I don't have anyone else to help and I don't know what the heck it's going to be like with the 8 year old just off from school and the 2 year old and a new born. I mean, I know people do it all the time. But he doesn't get home till 8 or 9 at night. I figure I'll die from lack of sleep!!! I hope I can convince him to stay 2 weeks! After all, it's not like he's going to be up all night with the baby nursing!!!

User Tag List