"Carrying low" vs. "carrying high" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-19-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok another weird question from someone who's never had a baby before: I used to hear a lot of old wives' tales about how if you carry your baby higher, it's a boy and if you carry lower it's a girl. I know it's total bull since my mother carried me WAY high and well...

My question is, for those of you who have carried lower, did you have any lower abdomen pain? I keep having twinges down there, to the left and to the right of my pubic bone, usually right where my panty line is, and I'm wondering if it's due to this round ligament pain the OB was telling me about, or if it's baby sitting somewhere uncomfortable for me, or...
#2 of 17 Old 02-19-2008, 06:56 PM

Sounds like round ligament--especially if it twinges when you change position quickly, like from sitting to standing. I got them pretty early and they've been coming back the past week or so. FWIW, I'm carrying pretty high.
#3 of 17 Old 02-19-2008, 06:57 PM

I thought it was the other way around. Low is boy and girl is high. Anyways I carried ds so low it looked like he was going to fall out. He was fully engaged and +1 at 32 weeks. Pain on the left and right side is almost definately round ligament pain.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#4 of 17 Old 02-19-2008, 08:35 PM

I always heard it the other way also. I carried my daughter high and this one is very low. We will see in June.

I haven't had much pain but my back has been buggin me.
#5 of 17 Old 02-19-2008, 08:46 PM

First babies tend to drop and engage much earlier than subsequent babies. I don't remember, but I know I had a very tender pubic bone with my first which suggests she dropped early and/or was carried very low. My SIL just had her first and the baby dropped/engaged very early on - by the end of her pregnancy (baby born at 38.5 weeks), she was very uncomfortable.

With my 4th and this pregnancy, I'm carrying VERY high. Baby is so high that I can feel nothing 3-4" above my pubic bone - just empty uterus. Baby's head is above my belly button, under my ribcage.

While it's not a problem now, I don't like carrying so high late in pregnancy. If baby's head isn't putting pressure on your cervix, it takes longer to dilate. There's also the concern of cord prolapse (the cord presenting first, rather than baby's head) which is NOT good. When I went into labor with my last, she was still very, very high. We did a lot of walking to try to get her to drop and she wouldn't. Walking hurt so much that I ended up spending most of her labor in bed, on my side, sleeping on and off. Eventually she dropped. I'm hoping I won't have a "repeat performance" with this one!! It wasn't a terribly long or hard labor, but I know it would have been much shorter had she dropped sooner. I think this is partly why I'm running/walking regularly - in hopes that the gravity will help baby to drop once he/she decides to turn vertex!
#6 of 17 Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 PM

FWIW my mom's theory (she's a CNM, so she's seen a lot of pregnant women in her life) is that if you look like you're not pregnant from the back, it's a girl. If you're carrying more on the sides, it's a boy. She doesn't believe in all that high/low nonsense. That said, my son was breech and she was SURE he was a girl until the moment he was born. I think the whole positioning thing threw her off because his head was stuck under my ribs for the last 10 weeks of the pregnancy. He did "drop" noticeably (from looking at pictures) in the last 3 weeks, but he was still pretty high up.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#7 of 17 Old 02-19-2008, 11:32 PM

As for the old' wives tale, my mom carried me high (I even broke her rib!) and my brother low. For me, I carried my son high (my first) and my second babe, my dd, low. I did experience the pain you are talking about with her.
#8 of 17 Old 02-20-2008, 10:51 AM

Well, with my first, a boy, I carried VERY low. EVERYONE told me I was having a boy. Only 2 people my entire pregnancy said they thought I was having a girl. And I had about 200 (not lying) people tell me boy. I carried so low, he NEVER hit my ribcage. I heard a lot of people say that the baby would jab their ribcages, but NOT ONCE did he hit mine. He was at least 2 inches below at all times. And I'm only 5'2", and very short-waisted. And from the back, I didn't look pregnant. This one, I am also carrying very low.

I have (and had with my first) a lot of twinges like you're talking about. More so with this one. I would definitely say the round ligament pain too. Also, around 37 weeks (I had him a day before my due date), he dropped. It was very obvious he'd dropped too. I definitely had to pee more, but it was never all that uncomfortable. I think that really helped to open up my pelvis and push him out so easily, because he was constantly down there pushing on things, making them spread out.

Oh, and my mom carried all of us (two girls and a boy) the same.... high and wide. So who knows if the old wives tales are true!

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
#9 of 17 Old 02-20-2008, 04:06 PM

Yes, I had that pain with my last two...both girls and both very low. I was further along though. I'm not having it yet with this one (also very low), but I totally know what you're talking about. Sometimes those pains can be really sharp and shocking - ouch!

As for the OWT...my first two were boys and I carried them both higher and all out front...my next two were girls and they were both low...seemingly about to fall-out low. My DH and I had our boys quite young...then dealt with years of secondary infertility...and had our girls late twenties/thirty. Of course, we're into our thirties with this LO. So whether it's a maternal age, "experienced" uterus, or baby gender thing with me...who knows? LOL!
#10 of 17 Old 02-20-2008, 04:21 PM

This is my third and its SOOOOOOOOOO low!!

I HATE pannel maternity pants/shorts but I'm almost thinking I'll have to make the switch bc the baby just constantly kicks/hits my waistline...

I don't know what this baby is, but I wish the old wives tale was right!!
#11 of 17 Old 02-20-2008, 05:59 PM

I always carry low, although last time, like a PP said, it was like I was carrying DS between my knees. This baby is low - half of the kicks are below the point I want the kids feeling . I guess it's nice because my breathing isn't as affected as others - but my bladder never gets the "relief" that some people experience. It's like it taunts me with his miniscule amounts.

Yeah, that could be round ligament pain. I'll take that over sciatica any day, though. I had that with DD and it was torturous.
#12 of 17 Old 02-21-2008, 12:13 PM

I agree with round ligament. I carried DS low and had it really bad for a few weeks the end of my 1st tri/begining of the 2nd tri. I am now carrying DD really high and get the round ligament pain if I move too suddently or twist in a weird way. I've also noticed I get it if I walk too fast.
#13 of 17 Old 02-22-2008, 01:24 AM

I don't have previous pregnancies to compare this one to, but compared to a couple of other girlfriends who are just as far along as I am, we think I'm carrying low. No ligament or hip pain, but I can definitely feel my muscles and skin (of my lower abdomen especially) streeeeeeetching constantly! And ditto on the small bladder syndrome - man I miss the days of a full, forceful pee!!!
#14 of 17 Old 02-22-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail View Post
And ditto on the small bladder syndrome - man I miss the days of a full, forceful pee!!!
woman, that is exactly how I feel!

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#15 of 17 Old 02-22-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfasianmomma View Post
Ok another weird question from someone who's never had a baby before: I used to hear a lot of old wives' tales about how if you carry your baby higher, it's a boy and if you carry lower it's a girl. I know it's total bull since my mother carried me WAY high and well...

My question is, for those of you who have carried lower, did you have any lower abdomen pain? I keep having twinges down there, to the left and to the right of my pubic bone, usually right where my panty line is, and I'm wondering if it's due to this round ligament pain the OB was telling me about, or if it's baby sitting somewhere uncomfortable for me, or...
not in your DDC but...I carried my boys LOW and my girl very very HIGH.

the pains are round ligament pain...and it gets a LOT worse

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#16 of 17 Old 02-22-2008, 12:15 PM

on my second, and don't know the gender, but I am carrying very differently, very low this time. I am definitely not as wide as I was with last pregnancy either(boy). People still are shocked when they come towards me from behind and I turn around to show them a full preggo belly. I have just chalked it up to second pregnancy. Some have told me their subsequent pregnancies get lower and lower, but then I see Kylahroo's post, so.....there's just no rhyme or reason to it all!

I agree with the round ligament pain, though I will say my babe is lying transverse, and I think it is affecting my pelvis a bit. Round ligament pain would be there regardless though. Pelvic tilts and kegels have helped me to strengthen my pelvic floor a bit and that has helped.
#17 of 17 Old 02-25-2008, 02:36 PM

I have noticed this week that I am carrying this babe (boy) pretty low like last time. I can feel my uterus 2 inches above my bellybutton but baby is right down in my pelvis. No trouble breathing and no kicks up high.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page