The Business of Being Born - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 02-25-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com

It was absolutely amazing to watch!! I recommend it to everyone! Not sure when it'll be available to rent, but I REALLY want to see it again prior to giving birth. VERY inspiring!
#2 of 26 Old 02-25-2008, 03:36 PM

netflicks was supposed to have it for rent in March but I think it has been pushed back, you can get on the list to have it sent to you through netflicks once it is out.
This is such a moving film! I wish I had written it but I am so glad someone "Famous" has taken up this cause. Go Rikki

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#3 of 26 Old 02-25-2008, 05:12 PM

Netflix is supposed to have it tomorrow, actually - I haven't heard anything about it being pushed back. Can't wait to see it!

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#4 of 26 Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 PM

I helped host a screening of this film recently! It went over pretty well - we had a Q&A discussion panel after the showing and there were lots of good questions. I think it's a great conversation starter (although I did find the movie to be a bit jumpy, it was better watching it the second time opposed to the first).

It was interesting to watch and listen to all of the questions. I live in a relatively small town where there is one hospital and ONE direct entry midwife that does homebirths for the ENTIRE state! It definitely makes it harder to have a homebirth here!
#5 of 26 Old 02-25-2008, 06:34 PM

We are hosting a showing ( 2 actually) in my town in March. I live in a town that only has 1 hospital that you can deliver at ( and they are very opposed to giving the mother any choices at all)and I am very interested to see how the movie is received.

: mom of Gavin Rhain and Grant, Doula
#6 of 26 Old 02-25-2008, 07:05 PM

I second the tomorrow for netflix, I am worried though the wait will be REALLY long because of how many people are interested in seeing it, I guess we will know tomorrow how long of a wait we will have (none, short, long, VERY long).

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#7 of 26 Old 02-25-2008, 07:20 PM

Our netflix queue has it coming to our home tomorrow!! I can't wait!
#8 of 26 Old 02-25-2008, 07:32 PM

I enjoyed it too, I watched a screening of it over here in Australia several months ago. Rikki herself hosted the screening and Sheila Kitzinger came over for it too, so that was cool! I just have no mention my annoyance at Marsden Wagner saying in the film that Australia has one of the best birth outcomes in the world... he put us up there with the Netherlands! We are actually not far behind the US in our huge caesarean rate and loads of intervention so he really needs to get updated. Other than that, mostly thought the film was great.
#9 of 26 Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 PM

My dad has it on his netflix list for me, I am so excited! I really hope it comes soon....

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#10 of 26 Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 AM

I'm hoping it'll be available to view online from Netflix tomorrow - it says it will be, but I'm not sure how that works. I'm not a Netflix member, but I'm going to sign up for the free trial to see it online.

#11 of 26 Old 02-26-2008, 01:36 AM

If it hits the online selection. Not every movie they have is available online, in fact most are not. However maybe we will all get lucky!!

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#12 of 26 Old 02-26-2008, 02:55 AM

The website says it'll be available online, so fingers crossed that it's right!

#13 of 26 Old 02-26-2008, 11:46 AM

DH & I really want to see this film, but it's not coming out anywhere near us. We might go ahead and sign up for the netflix free trail just so that we can see it.

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

#14 of 26 Old 02-26-2008, 12:31 PM

My netflix copy is supposed to be arriving today.
#15 of 26 Old 02-26-2008, 01:49 PM

Hey ladies:

Depending on your netflix subscription (and internet connection) you should be able to view it instantly on your computer. I have it in my queue and I just saw that it has the 'play' button next to it. I clicked on it and it started right up. I want to watch it with my dd, since she is fascinated with birth, so I am going to screen it first to see if she would be bored.

Anyway, thought I'd let you know that you don't have to wait for an actual copy!

Jacqueline
#16 of 26 Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Its Available ONLINE!!! Netflix rocks!!
#17 of 26 Old 02-27-2008, 12:08 PM

I watched it last night! I guess I bugged my dad too much by calling him weekly He bought be a year of netflix for my birthday, I think partly to shut me up and get the movie off his queue
So, I watched it on my computer last night, and sat here and cried and cried over the pitocin/cascade of interventions thing, because even though I KNOW thats what happened to me with DD, it was really hard to WATCH it happen to someone else. I just wanted to yell into the screen and tell her she has options, she is not hurting her baby by not listening to them!! ugh.
After the movie was over, I seriously emailed my midwife to thank her for the amazing work she does, and tell her she is awesome. I really wanted to call her but it was 7pm and I think its a little counterproductive to call at dinner to thank her
I also wanted to call the OB who delivered my DD and cuss him out/spit at him, but I figured that was probably not a good idea either, so I refrained

anyways, I think EVERYONE needs to see this movie. It also really REALLY got rid of my nagging guilt over spending money on a homebirth when I qualify for medicaid (which would cover a repeat of the lovely *rolls eyes* birth that I had with DD but won't cover my midwife because she delivers at home for atleast 1/10th the cost.) It is worth every single penny we have scraped together, every sacrifice we have made, EVERYTHING, to have the oppertunity to have a truly normal and natural birth.

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#18 of 26 Old 02-27-2008, 12:31 PM

We indeed got it yesterday, but wound up buying a body pillow and watching the Dem debate instead. I'm going to insist we watch it tonight, even though we also have Across the Universe, which we've both been dying to see.
#19 of 26 Old 02-28-2008, 06:46 PM

Oh my god! I am watching this movie now and it is AMAZING!! I had the birth experience that I wanted, in a hospital with a midwife, nothing short of amazing and empowering. I have a daugther and this really makes me want her present at my next labor so she can see how empowering it is to birth the way that you want to.

Everyone should watch this film!!! I think I cried through half of the film, especially when they showed women forced to birth while knocked out...wow!

Jacqueline
#20 of 26 Old 02-29-2008, 08:10 PM

I'm watching this on the 6th, yay!

Doula mama to artistic DD and monster DS. #3 on the way!
HAVE YOU HEARD OF SQUAT ANARCHIST BIRTH JOURNAL YET?? IF NOT, GOOGLE IT!
#21 of 26 Old 02-29-2008, 10:13 PM

Me and a friend were suppose to go see it last week but we had to leave town the night before for a funeral. I was really bummed I missed it though and I just joined netflix so I could rent it.
#22 of 26 Old 02-29-2008, 10:21 PM

Dh and I are getting ready to pop it into the DVD player!! I'm SO excited!!!! :
#23 of 26 Old 03-01-2008, 02:50 AM

Ugh! I'm so disappointed!!!!

I REALLY want to watch this movie, but there is now way I can get it here in Thailand.
I've tried downloading it (yeah, the illegal stuff, I admit it) and today the download was complete and I was sooooo excited and looking forward to watching it together with DH and then I found out there was a decryption passphrase on it and it's probably just a fake anyway...

bummer!

And netflix isn't working for me either... (need an address in the US)

I guess I will have to go without

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#24 of 26 Old 03-02-2008, 04:53 PM

my friend got it the other day from netflix and lent it to me.. it was really great!!..BUT i havent changed my mind with birthing in a hospital...at least not this time..
i think of myself as a strong/vocal person and i dont have any problems voicing want I want.. which is a NATURAL birth.... no epi,pit,stadol or whatever else they may/are going to want to give me..

im thinking that i just need some good music and a nice back massage

Lauren- Mom to Nina 2.5 yrs. & Elaina 10 mo....our next bundle is due in June! joy.gif
#25 of 26 Old 03-03-2008, 03:07 PM

I totally stand corrected when I stated it probably would not be in the "watch instantly" section of Netflix right away, it totally is!

Now I have to decide if I want to watch it now and then again when it gets here in 1-2 days with DH, or if I want to just wait.

#26 of 26 Old 03-03-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha1 View Post
my friend got it the other day from netflix and lent it to me.. it was really great!!..BUT i havent changed my mind with birthing in a hospital...at least not this time..
i think of myself as a strong/vocal person and i dont have any problems voicing want I want.. which is a NATURAL birth.... no epi,pit,stadol or whatever else they may/are going to want to give me..

im thinking that i just need some good music and a nice back massage
Hi,

I thought that even though the film was about home births that you can still have the birth you want in a hospital, if you are in the right place. I live in Seattle and while there certainly is a high c-section rate here, I found a very supportive team of CNMs who welcomed and supported my birth plan with dd. So much so that even when an episiotomy looked like the way to go they let me try a few more pushes to get dd out without one. It is harder for women on the fence, who haven't become educated about epidurals, etc. to resist those interventions in the hospital, but they wouldn't be choosing homebirths in the first place.

Anyway, I think that despite my having a hospital birth with the first one (and my plan to do the same with this baby), the movie still represented my beliefs about the medicalization of childbirth.

Jacqueline

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page