Braxton-Hicks Contractions at 24 Weeks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-26-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else having their fair share of Braxton-Hicks (or uterine cramping, at least)? I'm 24 weeks and have been having up to 3 or 4 an hour for the last 5 or 6 days. So it started at 23 weeks.

It doesn't hurt, but occassionally (twice a day?) my lower back aches along with it.

Somehow this seems rather early to me, and given that I have a single umbilical artery, which can pose a very small risk of preterm labour, I just want to know if anyone else has started having these little cramps or practice contractions this early on.

Some days are more plentiful than others on the B-H front. I travelled last week by plane for a business trip and had a lot of them those two days....
#2 of 14 Old 02-26-2008, 12:18 PM

Yes for sure - I have been having them for a good while now probably started early in the second tri. Some of them actually hurt - this is my third baby. It think they get worse as you have more pregnancies. It is totally normal - just make sure you are hydrated.
#3 of 14 Old 02-26-2008, 12:23 PM

I've been having Braxton Hicks since the end of the first trimester. Sometimes I get kind of a breathless feeling with them...they are definitely more intense than they were with my last pregnancy. I'd say I get several a day. Several an hour sounds like a lot, kinda, though....if you're concerned, you may want to let your HCP know....just to be on the safe side.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#4 of 14 Old 02-26-2008, 01:11 PM

I started noticing them at 13 weeks. I also have several an hour. I have the most when I'm walking.

I'm curious what others have been told about when to be concerned about the frequency. I mentioned the contractions to my mw and she said, "as long as you're not having more than 3 per hour." Well, I am! Now she wants me to keep track and perhaps run some tests at 25 weeks to see if I'm at risk for preterm labor.
#5 of 14 Old 02-26-2008, 01:11 PM

I have one every once in while (usually after sex). Nowhere near as many as I did with ds. With him they started at 20 weeks and I had one every time I stood up, changed position, walked anywhere etc. He went full term.

I wonder why not as many this time.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#6 of 14 Old 02-26-2008, 02:50 PM

i am having them at 22 wks, as well, but this is #3, so I think it's that I notice them b/c i know what they are...

my MW and i just talked about this yesterday at my visit since it was "time" to cover preterm labour symptoms. She said that if they were accompanied by back pain, it was probably a good time to let her know so we could keep an eye on things.

Even though they are completely normal, and some women notice them more than others, if there were any risk factors for preterm labour I'd probably want to let my MW know, just in case, and so that they are on alert should there be an emergency.
#7 of 14 Old 02-26-2008, 02:54 PM

I stsrted getting bh at about 5-6 wks with this one

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#8 of 14 Old 02-26-2008, 03:10 PM

Since you already have something that could indicate a chance of preterm labor, I would check it out with your provider just to be sure. That said, I have days where I get a TON of BHs in an hour. I find that I am usually tired, dehydrated, or hungry. I then force myself to down ridiculous amounts of liquid and they go away.

I have also heard about no more than 3 or 4 an hour, but I also know that with dd I had a very irritable uterus that seemed to contract more than others and she was born full term.

Good luck!

jacqueline
#9 of 14 Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 PM

I too am on #3 and definetely notice the BH more and earlier with each pregnancy. I don't think i noticed them ever with my first. I've been feeling some since about 18 weeks or earlier I think but not so regular as several times an hour unless I just don't notice. I would ask you provider but it sounds normal enough. My MW always said all women have lots of BH and mostly just don't notice them. Maybe you are just more sensitive to them??
#10 of 14 Old 02-27-2008, 01:20 PM

I barely noticed any BH with DS, but this time around I noticed them a lot earlier on. And sometimes they make me stop in my tracks. I was having really bad back pain yesterday and I think that pain brought them on because I had a lot of them yesterday.
#11 of 14 Old 02-27-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleyp View Post
I would ask you provider but it sounds normal enough. My MW always said all women have lots of BH and mostly just don't notice them. Maybe you are just more sensitive to them??
This could be. I'm pretty tuned in (you could say hyper-vigilant) about what's happening in my body in some ways.

I'll check with my MW.

Thanks for all the responses.
#12 of 14 Old 02-27-2008, 07:14 PM

I have been having them especially when I don't drink enough water.
#13 of 14 Old 02-28-2008, 12:19 AM

I've had tons of them, even went to the hospital briefly to make sure I wasn't actually making progress. Stay very well hydrated. I've found when I havent had enough water they get more frequent.
#14 of 14 Old 02-28-2008, 12:33 AM

I've been feeling them since 16 weeks. They happen a lot more often when i'm up doing things, and are evn a little painful sometimes. But absolutely normal! Don't they start at 12 weeks?
Anyways, I didn't feel them with more first baby at all, definetly felt them more with the second, and now, well, I might as well be in labor!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page