Home-made diapers vs. store bought - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another question for the CD divas in this DDC:
If you've made your own CD before *and* bought some from a store, do you find your own have the same absorbancy as the ones from a store? If so, what's your favorite fabric?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 PM

I like to make pockets and fitted out of fleece or flannel then I fold up a prefold and put that in the pocket and put a cover over it, but for the soaker part of the fitted I will use terry or a cut to size prefold. Microfleece is also good. I think the ones I make work just as well as "store bought ones".

I actually just got done making my first PUL cover. It's not perfect, but it is cute Here is a pic.
#3 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 07:18 PM

I'm someone who can make just about anything. I don't make dipes. The ones I've tried to make (and I've used high quality diaper-making fabrics) never turned out as nice as the ones I've bought from "the professionals". Once you buy fabric, patterns and make several samples to test size/absorbency, I honestly think it's almost a wash as far as money goes. I'd rather spend my money on something I know I'm going to use.
#4 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 08:15 PM

I suck at making diapers. period.
but my friend makes diapers as a WAHM and I think she does a pretty good job, so I'm ordering from her instead of from a "company". Shes making me something similar to fuzzi bunz, which I loved with DD.

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#5 of 12 Old 02-29-2008, 03:55 PM

I'm a terrible sewer, so that option is out for me - but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Muttaqin diapers. They're hard to get hold of, and not cheap, but I plan on getting as many more of the 3SR for this kid (one size diaper - comes in both all-in-one and fitted) as I can. I buy them used on diaperswappers.com when I can, and I'm on the Muttaqin stocking email list, so I try to get one or two whenever she stocks hyenacart. With the fitteds I use a fuzzy bunz as a cover and it's bulletproof! I have a newborn stash as well that's a little more varied - a bunch of Mutts, some WAHMs and some others, but I figure the one-size Mutts will carry me from about 10 or 15lbs. through potty training! I do plan on buying different size fuzzy bunz for covers. Fuzzy Bunz alone worked great while my dd was still chunky, but when she went through a growth spurt her legs thinned out a bit and they started leaking out the legs. A lot of people swear by them though! Welcome to the addiction that is CDing!

I do have to say, even with the money we've spent on CD (a lot of trial and error and then I fell in love with the pricey ones!), we've done the math and we're STILL saving money over disposables!

Namaste.
#6 of 12 Old 02-29-2008, 06:35 PM

my friend how has a two week old baby is having problems with the cloth diapers covering the belly button so she had to switch temporarily. I there a cloth diaper that doesn't cover the belly button?
#7 of 12 Old 02-29-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgirl View Post
my friend how has a two week old baby is having problems with the cloth diapers covering the belly button so she had to switch temporarily. I there a cloth diaper that doesn't cover the belly button?
I've never, ever bothered with keeping the belly button dry (or free from the diaper) - it's terribly hard to do, especially when cd'ing, and, IMO, not necessary. All of our kids have had their cord fall off within a reasonable time period with absolutely no infection. We've never used alcohol, swabs, goldenseal, etc.
#8 of 12 Old 03-01-2008, 12:09 PM

I didn't have any problem with the cord either, but I was using ProRaps which have an indention for the belly button in their NB size.
#9 of 12 Old 03-01-2008, 09:21 PM

This place has some cool free patterns on making homemade diapers from old clothes!

http://fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#10 of 12 Old 03-02-2008, 03:03 PM

It is not hard to make a diaper that works as well as a store-bought cloth diaper. My favorite fabrics are cotton fleece and velour, and hemp/cotton fleece and french terry. A diaper can work well without being the prettiest diaper on the block.
It doesn't take a huge investment to come up with something that works. I did use that Fern and Faerie free pattern when I sewed my first batch of fitted diapers. I made two dozen fitteds with clearance knit terry and flannel from Joanns, and some jersey that I found at the thrift store. I used the terry smooth side out for the outer of the diaper and this enabled me to use a snappi instead of snaps or hook/loop. It was super simple and all I needed to buy ready made were covers.
That said, it is almost two years later. I have invested in a snap press for myself and I have come to appreciate some fabrics over others. I do have patterns that I bought because I like the way they look when I make them. I make my own covers now. My end products are definitely a lot prettier than when I first started making cloth diapers. It takes practice if you want something to look like a Hyena made it.
What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't discourage yourself from making your own diapers because it doesn't look like a Mutt when you're finished. And don't expect something to be perfect on your first try, because really, is anything a snap if you've never done it before? If you are intent on saving money you can make it work. They can be just as absorbent as a store-bought CD if you use the right materials. And it is so rewarding to make them yourself!
Here is a link to a great website I belong to. You may have heard of the Diaper Sewing Divas. There are tons of ladies with all levels of experience sewing diapers, even those who have never used a sewing machine before, willing to help each other with any questions they may have. New members are always welcome.

http://diaperdivas.proboards57.com

Good luck!

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

#11 of 12 Old 03-02-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great tips and website references :
#12 of 12 Old 03-02-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andisunshine View Post
Here is a link to a great website I belong to. You may have heard of the Diaper Sewing Divas. There are tons of ladies with all levels of experience sewing diapers, even those who have never used a sewing machine before, willing to help each other with any questions they may have. New members are always welcome.

http://diaperdivas.proboards57.com

Good luck!
:

I LOVE the Divas!! I wouldn't have been able to even begin sewing a dipe w/o the time I've spent lurking there. They are the best bunch of ladies... well, aside from our DDC, o'course!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page