Attack of the killer muscle cramps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-12-2008, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It must be my day for complaining...

Has anyone noticed a sudden increase of killer cramps (you know, the ones that grib the bottom of your feet or your calves in the middle the night and leave you gasping for air) ? It seems I can't go a day without one or two threatening to take over. I'm not wearing high heels much anymore (I spend my day sitting down anyhow); I stretch my feet and calves all the time, but to no avail...
#2 of 12 Old 03-12-2008, 02:32 PM

I woke up in the middle of the night last week with a cramp and yelled "help!" Scared the crap out of dh. Anyway, potassium and magnesium is what they say. I had been taking a cal/mag supplement, but I take it 2x a day now and haven't had any more cramps (knock on wood!)
#3 of 12 Old 03-12-2008, 02:56 PM

same here! started taking magnesium for it...

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#4 of 12 Old 03-12-2008, 03:02 PM

This happened so badly with my first pregnancy! Once I realized that I must NEVER, EVER point my toes after having sat/slept for a while, I can completely avoid them now. So, when moving around in bed at night, be REALLY super conscious of your feet and always, always flex them instead of point! Only after you've been up and walking for a while is it okay to start pointing them again.

It also may help to increase your calcium or take an os-cal (oyster-shell calcium) supplement.
#5 of 12 Old 03-12-2008, 03:15 PM

My Naturopath has confirmed that it's the magnesium more than calcium or potassium that really solves these kinds of problems.

Magnesium supplements are actually incredible for a lot of things, from muscle soreness after exercise to restless legs (REALLY HELPS) to sleep/insomnia issues to constipation and of course these killer cramps you're talking about. And yes, I get them too, though usually I can feel the threat and manage not to get them.

My naturopath explained to me that some people are real "magnesium burners". Stress, lack of sleep and consumption of sugar can deplete your magnesium stores quite easily. So I take about 15 drops of a liquid supplement called Ion-Mag (Maya, I think it's available in healthfood stores in Montreal) each night before bedtime.
#6 of 12 Old 03-12-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

: Good suggestions...magnesium here I come!
#7 of 12 Old 03-12-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg_7 View Post
Magnesium supplements are actually incredible for a lot of things, from muscle soreness after exercise to restless legs (REALLY HELPS) to sleep/insomnia issues to constipation and of course these killer cramps you're talking about. And yes, I get them too, though usually I can feel the threat and manage not to get them.
Heartburn too!
#8 of 12 Old 03-13-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylahroo View Post
This happened so badly with my first pregnancy! Once I realized that I must NEVER, EVER point my toes after having sat/slept for a while, I can completely avoid them now. So, when moving around in bed at night, be REALLY super conscious of your feet and always, always flex them instead of point! Only after you've been up and walking for a while is it okay to start pointing them again.
Kylaroh: this is just hilarious! PERFECT description, honestly. I always get the cramps when I start fishing for my cover-blanket down at the end of the bed with my big toe (I usually don't need to cover up - it's too hot these days. but in the early mornings it can get a little fresh and that's when the blanket-toe-fishing comes in... )

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#9 of 12 Old 03-13-2008, 01:10 PM

I haven't had this yet with this pregnancy but had it with the last two. I found that stretching and eating some almonds right before bed made a big difference. Almonds are also good for heartburn.
#10 of 12 Old 03-14-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfasianmomma View Post
: Good suggestions...magnesium here I come!
Yeah, me too! Calling my pharmacist... (my DH )

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#11 of 12 Old 03-15-2008, 10:31 PM

Yes! I had a killer cramp in my calf the night before last and it still is SO SO SO SO SO SORE. I can't even walk regularly. Yesterday if I put weight onto the toe of that foot, it made my whole leg shake.
The funny thing is that my first reaction was "So I guess this is what extreme muscular pain feels like! I better get ready for it!" And that actually was a comforting thought.

PS Magnesium also, in my experience, really curtailed PMS symptoms from cramping/bloating to moodiness. It totally has regulated my hormones in the past so I'm guessing I could use a bit more of it these days, ahem.
#12 of 12 Old 03-15-2008, 10:42 PM

I haven't been having cramps but my muscles get sore wayyy easier, esp my legs. I think its because of carrying the extra weight.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page