yet another question - does anterior placenta = hard labor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I have an anterior placenta with this pregnancy. I did a google search and it sounds like a lot of women claim that an anterior placental makes for a harder labor. The theory seems to be that baby likes to face the placenta and an anterior placenta will mean a sunny-side up baby.

Anyone want to weigh in on this? I had such a great first labor and I want to believe the next one will be just as great, but I have to admit the idea of back labor scares me.

jacqueline
#2 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 09:24 PM

Hmmm...I've never heard this! I've had an anterior placenta with at least 2 of my pregnancies and have never had back labor. I have gone into labor with baby in a posterior position, but they always move into a better position long before labor gets hard. Maybe I'm just lucky?
#3 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 PM

Popping in from July!

This thread caught my interest becaue i have an Anterior Placenta this time as well.

My 1st 2 babies wer eboth high posterior placentas - however they were SunnySide up!

So I can attest to labouring and birthinbg a SunnySide up baby. I was allllllllllll BACK labor. I never ever flet a contraction across my front unless it was a braxton hicks weeks earlier. Both of my labors were complete back labors - nothign up front, all pain/feeling in the back.

Now I;m wondering whats in store this time with an anterior placenta.
#4 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 10:16 PM

Ds was posterior with a posterior placenta. Back labor sucks.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#5 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 10:50 PM

My last placenta was anterior (at least I had all the indications it was anterior except for an US). It was my hardest labor, b/c it was my first baby that was positioned correctly I had a long early labor but only a 4 hour active labor ~ which is fast for me. She hung out on the right side till the day I went into labor ~ then she positioned herself correctly.

I saw the chiro a lot (who also is an acupuncturist and has a lot of experience working with pg women), visualized the correct position and practiced OFP positions.

I read about the baby not wanting to turn their back to their placenta ~ mine didn't until labor. I wouldn't worry about what you can't change.

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student
#6 of 6 Old 03-15-2008, 07:32 PM

my last placenta was anterior at my 18 wk ultrasound, and L&D was quick and manageable. This baby also has an anterior placenta, so we'll see, but I don't anticipate trouble.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page