Mothering Forum banner

"Too big" "Too small" - why can't someone say "Perfect!"?!

373 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  PiesandAbrosmama 
#1 ·
At first I worry about gaining too much weight...
Then I stop gaining and start worrying about not gaining weight...
Then someone says I look big...
Then small...
Then I feel like tearing my hair out - just tell me I look perfect!!!!

I want a perfectly sized baby - I'd go for 10lbs if given a choice - maybe 9lbs. I hate worrying about the tiny ones.

NORMALLY I don't even worry but when a MW friend of mine says I look really tiny (and I haven't been gaining weight so that added to her comment), I really start to be concerned. I feel baby really pokey, really strong - I just thought it was a strong/pokey baby - but then I start worrying that there's not enough fluid. Dear lord save me from myself! I normally don't care (like I said), but man, I'm having a heck of a time not letting it bother me.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well I'm UP/UCing so I don't have an actual MW per-say... but that's good to hear your experience, thanks for sharing that!

Last time I was HUGE, measured the biggest ever (6w ahead the entire pg until the last few weeks when I was 4w ahead measurement wise) and my son was 9.12 (biggest for us yet, by a pound and 4oz). So I only have had my previous not-documented pg sizes to go from really - I should just not worry!!

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BirthFree View Post
I should just not worry!!
sounds so simple doesn't it
HUGS

just remind yourself of what you already know...there are a million different reasons why one mama looks bigger or smaller than another at any given point in their pregnancy

#5 ·
In the free digital version of mothering there is an article by an american lady about her homebirth in the netherlands which I found really helpful in this respect:

when she goes to see her midwife for the first time, they don't even want to know her weight and she is totally confused but the midwife just says 'why? we can see if your belly gets bigger or not, can't we?'.

I also UP and I try to keep that story in mind whenever I see posts where women write about 'measuring ahead' or whatever. I don't measure myself (wouldn't know how to) and I guess my baby knows how fast and big it wants to grow...

Check out that article, it really helped me relax

PS: Actually I just checked my weight today for the first time during this pregnancy! Walked past these scales in a shopping center and finally took the opportunity

#6 ·
I always feel bad for moms who get told (by anyone) that they're either too big or too small. I've been fortunate in that during both my pregnancies my MW (2 different MWs - one for each pregnancy) have told me "don't worry about your weight... you're fine [I gained 45 lbs with the first preg and am on track to gain 35-40 this time around]. Don't worry about your baby growing - it looks great to me. Are you getting regular kicks?"

Honestly, except for IUGR, your body pretty much does what it needs to. Why worry?

#7 ·
Isn't it so realitive-I mean we are all so unique and so our babies are. People who look small might carry different and still have a big babe-others look giant to some people and have a nice size 7lbs babe. I think trust your body and love it! I know I feel this way my kiddos are not tiny but not big during the first months and years of life but I think they are perfect and healthy
Keep that in mind and just know people have no tact when it comes to us preggie women

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.