Mothering Forum banner

joint pain

478 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  N8'sMom 
#1 ·
my hands and wrist hurt the most..
but every single joint i can think of.. hurts all day/night long
is this normal? I'm to lazy to google anything. I'm not sure what i should do.. i can hardly open and close my hands without pain

#2 ·
Not in your DDC but I might be able to answer.

I had joint pain that started when I was about 6 mos pregnant. I thought it was just because of the pregnancy because the worst of it was in my knees. After I had my dd the pain did not go away. Everything hurt right down to my fingers and toes.

After months of trying to figure out what was causing it I finally came to the conclusion that it was a lack of vitamin D. Within weeks of starting 1000 IU's the pain is pretty much gone.

If you Google joint pain and Vitamin D you can find out more.

#3 ·
I don't have hand pain but all of my other joints hurts, especially in the AM.

Could you have carpel tunnel syndrome? I think that pain is related to swelling and pressure on the nerves in your wrist.

Calcium and magnesium have been helping me sleep better at night, still sore in the AM though. I hope you find something to help you. Not too many weeks left of this pain

#5 ·
Good suggestions from everyone - I agree with a PP that your hand/wrist pain may be carpel tunnel (in addition to some other stuff). This is commonly associated with pregnancy and is related to the median nerve, which runs through your wrist, getting compressed. It can happen for a lot of reasons but in pregnancy it's usually related to the extra fluid retention and swelling.

Try the calcium and vitamin D too, though. Either way, I'm *sure* your body could use some extra. Pregnant women lose quite a bit of bone mass during their third trimester as the calcium is used to build the bones of your baby. It *does* come back, but not usually until after you're finished lactating. Increasing your calcium intake either way can't hurt - the worst you'll do is pee the extra out. (Incidentally, pregnancy also appears to be protective against hip fractures later in life, which is cool. And, the more babies you have, the lower your risk of a hip fracture.)

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kltroy View Post
Good suggestions from everyone - I agree with a PP that your hand/wrist pain may be carpel tunnel (in addition to some other stuff). This is commonly associated with pregnancy and is related to the median nerve, which runs through your wrist, getting compressed. It can happen for a lot of reasons but in pregnancy it's usually related to the extra fluid retention and swelling.

Try the calcium and vitamin D too, though. Either way, I'm *sure* your body could use some extra. Pregnant women lose quite a bit of bone mass during their third trimester as the calcium is used to build the bones of your baby. It *does* come back, but not usually until after you're finished lactating. Increasing your calcium intake either way can't hurt - the worst you'll do is pee the extra out. (Incidentally, pregnancy also appears to be protective against hip fractures later in life, which is cool. And, the more babies you have, the lower your risk of a hip fracture.)

Interesting! I did not know that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.