Rebekah Jo - short version + pertinent questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2008, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, take two - I don't know what's up with the first one!

first -typing with baby in arms - please forgive typos!

We have resolved the ruptured membranes and have the most beautiful baby GIRL! Announcing Rebekah Jo! Born at 34w6d, on Wednesday, May 14th, at 4:20 am, after a c-section. She was 4 lbs. 14 oz., and 17-1/2" long. Of course, she is beautiful!!

The long version is LONG, and I will post it, because you will not believe it all! Short version is that our worry and concern were right on target - I did develop an infection. The afterh99h before the midwife was flying in from out of state to stay with us, my vital signs (pulse, temp, bp) went wonky, and my hubby came home from work and started monitoring me and baby every 10min. Baby stayed fine, but I continued to have weird vitals. Nothing conclusive, and could have very well just been part of the allergic reaction (see long version tomorrow for details on that!). Hubby was still concerned, as was I, and he just kept monitoring us every 10 mintues for hours. Finally, at 10:30pm, baby's FHT went a little to high, into tachycardia, and lost their variability and reactivity to movement. Baby kept moving, but slowed way down from the usual level of activity.

Hubby threw me in the car, grabbed the fetoscope, bp cuff, and thermometer in with us, along wtih a bag we had ready just in case, and off we went. We debated the first 30 miles about whether we should go to the close hospital, RVMC, 60 miles from home) that had been so awful, or whether we had time to make it to the next hospital with an NICU (3 hrs away - Sacred Heart Med Ctr) - we chose the hospital further away. It was super stressful going up there, because we couldn't hear the FHT with all the road noise, and baby's movements were way down, and there was just now way to know if baby had the infection too, or how far gone we both were. That was a very long 3 hours.

When we got there, they were awesome (BIG, HUGE recommendation for Sacred Heart Medical Center in Eugene, Oregon, and total warning AGAINST Rogue Valley Medical Center Medford, Oregon), and baby was in trouble, and we had already decided on the way up that if the monitor confirmed hubby's fetoscope findings, we weren't even going to bother with an induction - we thought that pitocin would be way to hard on baby if he/she were already in trouble. So, we were prepared when they said c-section.

We went, and my hubby had the joy of announcing that our baby surprise was a litle girl!

She got 9/9 on her apgars, but because of the infection possibility, and her premature age, she went into NICU to be monitored and cultured for infection. She came back neg on everything, which means hubby caught my infection pretty much the exact moment it started impacting her, and had we waited at all, well, you can imagine the ramifications. In 3 hrs. time, she went from fine FHT, to distress. Scary.

Sh spent 5 days in NICU and I have spent 5 days dealing with an every-increasing list of complications from the allergic reaction, and a couple of crappy things that I never knew were common after c-section. I knew I was getting discharged today, and we were going to get a motel room until little Bekah was realeased (probably middle of the week), but to our joy tonight, the doc came and asked us if we wanted to take her home! (DUH!!)

VERY long drive home, very exhausted mommy and daddy (both running off of basically 2 wks with little/no sleep), and here we are!!

There is SOOO much more to this that will shock and outrage you, that I will try to get it all down tomorrow. I will also need to be doing quite a bit of processing and debriefing on the whole UC-to-Cesarean thing!

TOnight, however, a few questions from the shell-shocked!

1) Do newborns usually make a lot of little fussing noises during their sleep periods, and do they wake up and cry and need to be comforted (not hungry wake up, just fussing), or do you just give them a minute (or two, or 3??) to let them try to work it out themselves? I'm trying to get a few things done, she's stuffed full, and should be totally out in the basinette (out here in the front room with me), but as soon as I make a new noise or something (which is, of course, EVERY noise I make!) she's making whimpering sounds or something. I did let her ride them out, and it seemed to be okay, but I still ahd to run over and peek at her every time, making it very hard to get these other things done (like washing the breast pump stuff, etc.)

2) Anyone deal with the NICU/ pumping issues?? I"m totally rum-dum from trying to pump (to save my milk supply), feed her (both pumped milk from bottle, and now trying to establish nursing), and feeding myself, and oh yeah, sleep would be nice! All on a 3-hour schedule that the NICU set. The logistics are wasting me, and I'm too tired to even try and think it through. Basically, how did you switch over from the NICU routines to the routines you had planned before *the event*??

3) If you are co-sleeping, what do you do when baby needs to sleep, and you have stuff to do??

4) Please direct me to websites for a quick and dirty way to jerry-rig a sling appropriate for a newborn, with minimal or better yet NO sewing, just maybe simple cutting and tying etc. I will NOT have time for a few days to sew anyting, not even a sling, but I'm thinking that I MUST have one NOW. I don't know that much about slings yet, but I know I want one. SHe is so little (4 lbs. 13 oz as of today), and I don't know which kind would be most appropriate. I need to be able to move about the house, fix food snacks, do a little laundry, and of course, get on the computer! I also need to find a way to occupy her so I can pump my breastmilk, but in a sling, I'm thinking she's going to be blocking the units!!

5) I know there's more, but my brain just fried, and I need to eat again.

Thank you all for the help and support - you just don't know how badly I've wanted on here this week!!

Gonna catch an hour of sleep, then back up for pumping and feeding, LOL!

THANKS!

Tracey Mouse

Tracey R. Happy Helpmeet to Jeff, and Mama to Corey (ds, 22yo), Justin (ds, 20yo), Bekah (dd, 3yo), and Miah (Jeremiah, ds, 17mo), and baby Rachel, vasa previa survivor, 4 wks old.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 12:31 PM

Wow congrats on your new baby! It sounds like you did everything exactly right and I"m so glad everyone is feeling well. Having BDTD I can honestly tell you that however crappy and tired you're feeling right now, you will feel about 1000% better in 2 weeks. Really. Healing from a c-section is not fun, but having some good support from your family and knowing that it was the right thing to do really helps. It sounds like it most definitely was for you and your baby.

Ok on to the questions... (my answers in bold.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousebandit View Post
1) Do newborns usually make a lot of little fussing noises during their sleep periods, and do they wake up and cry and need to be comforted (not hungry wake up, just fussing), or do you just give them a minute (or two, or 3??) to let them try to work it out themselves? I'm trying to get a few things done, she's stuffed full, and should be totally out in the basinette (out here in the front room with me), but as soon as I make a new noise or something (which is, of course, EVERY noise I make!) she's making whimpering sounds or something. I did let her ride them out, and it seemed to be okay, but I still ahd to run over and peek at her every time, making it very hard to get these other things done (like washing the breast pump stuff, etc.)

Newborns are VERY LOUD and restless sleepers. I was very surprised by this. If she seems awake and needing comfort, frequently a hand on her chest and a quick "it's ok, mommy's here" is all that is required. IMHO, she's been in the world for less than a week... give her a break! It's a big strange cold place that she's trying to get used to. Also, I noticed with my son that he was coughing up a lot of mucus for the first week or so, probably b/c his lungs never got that good squeeze through my pelvis when he was born. I think this may be typical of c/s babies.

3) If you are co-sleeping, what do you do when baby needs to sleep, and you have stuff to do??

Put the baby down for a nap and just place some tightly rolled up blankets on either side of her. She's too little to roll over so you don't have to worry about that. Make sure she's just on the sheets - no blankets or pillows. She can actually sleep in any location at this point. My son frequently napped in the living room on the floor, in his stroller (esp. if we had been out for a walk and he fell asleep - this was very convenient b/c I could just wheel it into wherever I was so I could hear him), in a bouncy chair, etc. Often I'd just sling him up and let him sleep in the sling while I did stuff too.

4) Please direct me to websites for a quick and dirty way to jerry-rig a sling appropriate for a newborn, with minimal or better yet NO sewing, just maybe simple cutting and tying etc. I will NOT have time for a few days to sew anyting, not even a sling, but I'm thinking that I MUST have one NOW. I don't know that much about slings yet, but I know I want one. SHe is so little (4 lbs. 13 oz as of today), and I don't know which kind would be most appropriate. I need to be able to move about the house, fix food snacks, do a little laundry, and of course, get on the computer! I also need to find a way to occupy her so I can pump my breastmilk, but in a sling, I'm thinking she's going to be blocking the units!!

www.thebabywearer.com has links to patterns, tying instructions, etc etc. I would suggest either a wrap sling or a pouch sling for a baby this little. For a wrap you can just literally get a piece of fabric about 4-5 yards long and tie her in. It will probably take a little practice to figure out what works best, but for my son when he was a newborn I always liked the tie that crosses in the front AND the back. A pouch can be easily made yourself or you can get one. www.slinglings.com has them for pretty cheap and they get good reviews.

You can probably switch to breastfeeding her on demand instead of pumping (though I have no preemie experience, so maybe I'm totally off here) - which would solve the pumping issue. Another possibility is that if you had a pouch sling you could pump one side at a time, but that can be annoying b/c it takes twice as long.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 05-19-2008, 12:42 PM

Congrats on your daughter!!
I'm so glad you guys are doing well.

I think it does take a while to get used all the little noises that your baby makes.
(it seems sooooo long ago that I had a wee one!)

One quick sling that I read about, was to get a too small t-shirt and cut it below the sleeves to make a tube. I guess, it's actually more of a pouch. But it wouldn't take any sewing...

Take Care & Enjoy your litte girl!
Old 05-19-2008, 01:06 PM

Congratulations! You and your dh should be so proud that you took such good care of you and your lo.

Can I ask why you're still pumping? No judgement at all, but it seems like it might be hard on both of you to be trying to do both bottle and breast at this point. Maybe you just need to nurse and reintroduce the bottle when nursing is well-established.

Also, it sounds like you are trying to do a lot. Can you let dh serve all your needs for awhile? I wouldn't be worried about anything else except nurse, sleep and eat (what was fed to me by someone else ;-) Forget the schedule from the hospital! You and baby will both be so much happier if you ignore the clock and calendar and you just focus your attention on learning your baby's cues.

Congrats again! I can't wait to see pics.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

The whole preemie thing has wreaked havoc on my bf plans. The IV's they had her on in the NICU made her not want as much bf, plus she doesn't have a very efficient suck yet, so it gets very tiring for her trying to nurse for very long. While she was in NICU, the vast, vast, vast quanitity of her food either came through IV, from a bottle (easier to get the milk out of for her), and now my milk supply isn't where it should be. I'll be pumping for weeks, to get it up to snuff. So, she does get to practice nursing every day, but at this point only every other feeding, since it tires her out so much, and then she doesn't have energy to even suck down the bottle. I guess most moms who go through the NICU end up suppliementing with formula (in the hospital, they have access to donor breast milk).

It's just such a greuling routine - pump milk (about 30min total, which includes washing the kit parts and labeling the containers), go feed baby (which is supposed to take 30 min. but it's taking me at least an hour to 1-1/2 hours). Baby goes down for nap (at least she did in the NICU!!!! not so much here!), I go try to eat, sleep, pee, cry, etc., in my reamining hour before we starte all over again.

How do I do all this and not lose my mind? How do I get on some sort of SANE schedule??

Thanks!

Tracey Mouse (going to try and sleep for 30 min)

Tracey R. Happy Helpmeet to Jeff, and Mama to Corey (ds, 22yo), Justin (ds, 20yo), Bekah (dd, 3yo), and Miah (Jeremiah, ds, 17mo), and baby Rachel, vasa previa survivor, 4 wks old.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 PM

I'm in Salem. I wish I was a bit closer and I'd come and help you out!
Old 05-19-2008, 02:09 PM

Congrats
Old 05-19-2008, 02:10 PM

Oh, congratulations! You did a great job, mama!!

Here's a link to how to make a wrap for free-ish, plus the site has lots of other info for how to make/use other slings:

http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=121

Rushing out the door, sorry so short! Congrats again!!
Old 05-19-2008, 02:12 PM

First of all Congrats!!

mama I am no help with the pumping issues
Sleeping though, ds would not sleep without touching me for the the first 6 weeks and it was really hard. You can try a bean bag warmed up then wrapped in a shirt you have worn to lay next to her.

You can make a very easy wrap sling with no sewing. Buy 3 meters of material that doesn't need the edges sewn (microfleece or something like that), cut in half legthnwise and you have 2 wraps. HTH!
Good luck!

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Old 05-19-2008, 02:24 PM

Congratulations on the birth of your little girl. It sounds like your intuition was right on!

About the NICU transition...maybe I can help. Dd was in the nicu for two weeks after she was born, but she was term (39 weeks). Her suck was never an issue and even though they had me pump every three hours (and nurse her when I was there with her) the transition from bottle to breast went really well. I know that when she was in the NICU they wanted to feed her every three hours, but that was for the nurses not for any other reason. The nurses all told me that as soon as I got her home I should nurse on demand. All of the pumping lead to a huge milk supply, so I still had to pump some after she fed because while pumping I was getting 10 oz per pump session! I slowly decreased the pumping over a week or so and everything normalized. I donated all the milk that I collected over the month or so that I was pumping.

Since your little peanut was born early, the suck issue might mean that you need to pump for longer, but I would get in touch with a lactation consultant that you trust asap to see if you can't get her transitioned to the breast.

Hope this helps!

Jacqueline

I wanted to offer a couple thoughts about the pumping thing.... (I pumped at work for my son for 13 months) - mostly to save you some work.

I don't think you really need to do a thorough washing of all your pump parts between pumping. Think about it... breast milk is OK for 8 hours at room temp, so there's no reason your pump, with some milk on it, won't be as well. And it's ok for up to 8 days in the fridge.

So if you're pumping, say, 3x/day (every 4 hours?), you can probably just rinse the parts with water, put in a zip-lock or even a clean container, and stick them in the fridge until you're ready to pump again. Then just give them a good washing with soap and water every evening.

I agree with OPs - really do NOT set too high of an expectation for yourself any time soon! Let someone else do the laundry and cook. Make sure you're eating plenty, getting lots of rest, and focus on healing your body and taking care of your baby.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Congratulations!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:32 PM

congrats!!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:38 PM

Congratulations!!! I wish I had some words of wisdom or advice! I can however send you happy thoughts - I hope you are getting some rest for yourself!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:13 PM

my quick advice: (I had a NICU baby/failed UC with my first):

toss the schedule - feed on demand. This may be more frequently than every three hours, but they could be shorter feeds in between. Will make for a happier baby, happier you.

Swaddle your baby. It will help her sleep, and you can lay her anywhere you need to while she sleeps because she can't move/roll while swaddled. Get a Miracle Blanket - a lifesaver!

Yes, newborns are loud sleepers. Offer a boob if the cry seems more insistent, even if they just ate.

Get a sling to wear baby to get things done around house.

www.hotslings.com

Congratulations!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:34 PM

Congratulations!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 PM

Congrats on your sweet baby girl!

My youngest was born at 35 weeks and was in the NICU for 10 days. So I understand the pumping issues. I agree with pp, toss the schedule and feed on demand. It will help with your supply issues and also help your little one to take to breastfeeding better and will be less exhausting for her because you aren't trying to get a certain amount into her at a time. I still pumped a little after every feeding, just to get my supply up. Also I just rinsed my pump parts in warm water after each pumping, so they weren't messy and only washed them once a day. Get/make a sling or pouch right away! It really helps to bond to the baby, help establish breastfeeding and isn't so exhausting for mama. I wore my baby continously when we got home. Also do that kangaroo care. Put your baby skin to skin with you or dh as much as possible. It will help her breastfeeding and development and also help with the bonding that is sometimes hard to establish after a c-section. Make sure to drink lots of water, and get as much rest as possible! You're doing good mama!

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
Old 05-19-2008, 06:36 PM

Congrats! So glad you guys were so in tuned and did the right thing and everybody is safe! That is amazing and you should be so proud of the two of you! (((HUGS)))
Old 05-19-2008, 07:43 PM

I can't help with the pumping, but I can help with the sling! Send me a PM, along with your e-mail, and Kangaroo Korner will get you set up!

Co-sleeping: baby's not rolling yet. Just put baby in the middle of the bed when you're not there. Put a body pillow on either side if you're concerned.

Yes, newborns make a lot of noise. At night, I immediately nurse as it's the quickest way for ME to get back to sleep. During the day, if they're in the sling, I immediately nurse. If they're not in the sling, listen to them. You don't want fussing to turn into cries because a crying baby is much harder to latch on than a fussing one. It'll get easiest as you learn more about your baby!!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:45 PM

congrats!!!! I did not read all the responses to your posts, but I wanted to mention skin to skin contact for the nursing thing. My son was in NICU for four days and nursing/pumping was quite difficult. A mw friend of mine suggested getting as much skin to skin, shirt off time with my babe to help with let down and just nursing/bonding in general, and it REALLY helped! We basically camped out in bed for a few days and had friends and family help out with stuff to be done around the house(mainly food prep!) It was an easy was to doze between feedings and get some much needed rest. THose few days with babe in NICU are grueling between pumping, nursing, visiting baby and trying to get some sleep(yeah, right!) Sending you much love and hoping things are starting to smooth out a bit! YAY!!!! You have your little girl!!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 PM

Congrats Mama, I'm so glad you are holding your baby now! Don't try to find a rhythm or a schedule yet, just *be* with your baby and things will work out!
Peace!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:33 PM

I gave birth at Sacred Heart in Eugene!!! They were really great with cosleeping info. I'm glad everyone is happy and healthy now!

My LC there were really great with helping me to get DS to nurse. He didn't have suck swallow. They gave me an SNS because I refused bottles. I pumped every two hours round the clock until he could latch well and didn't have to have it poured in his mouth. I wouldn't use bottles at all if you can help it.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
Old 05-20-2008, 01:01 AM

I don't have any answers to your questions as I'm about to be a mom for the first time, but I did want to say CONGRATULATIONS! It sounds like you and your husband really responded smartly to the turn of events.

Anna ~ Mom to Ansel (6-17-08), Wife to Mac since 12-18-04, human companion to Cayley.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousebandit View Post
TOnight, however, a few questions from the shell-shocked!

2) Anyone deal with the NICU/ pumping issues?? I"m totally rum-dum from trying to pump (to save my milk supply), feed her (both pumped milk from bottle, and now trying to establish nursing), and feeding myself, and oh yeah, sleep would be nice! All on a 3-hour schedule that the NICU set. The logistics are wasting me, and I'm too tired to even try and think it through. Basically, how did you switch over from the NICU routines to the routines you had planned before *the event*??

5) I know there's more, but my brain just fried, and I need to eat again.

Thank you all for the help and support - you just don't know how badly I've wanted on here this week!!

Gonna catch an hour of sleep, then back up for pumping and feeding, LOL!

THANKS!

Tracey Mouse
Much love to you, and I'm glad Miss Rebekah is doing OK!!

My answers to your ???s

1) Mine tend to make a bit of noise while sleeping .... you'll learn the difference between fidget noises, and "HEY MOM" noise ... make sense.
Of course, for me, there are times when one of mine simply has to fuss while I am cleaning the other ones' butt, etc.

2) Pumping .... it helped me tremendously to have a few sets of horns/membranes, etc ... this way, there was always one clean. It was DHs job when I came home from work to take my milk, store it, and clean the pump parts while I nursed Rachel.
Do you have an LC?? Perhaps call the one at the hospital, or one you know. I'm not sure how to switch over from their NICU routine to the one at home.
What I've noticed with my boys is that they seem to tire easily at the breast ... perhaps because they are so small. I nurse pretty much around the clock .. stressful at times, but I keep saying to myself ... this will not last forever. I can't recall if this is your first baby or not ... but I would just nurse on demand, and not stress so much about the clock factor. Since she is so small, you don't need to stretch it past 3 hour feedings.

3) Well .... I'm not really doing any work around here, so I'm not much help. Basically, I sleep when I am tired, and take the babies in bed with me.

4) Can't help you with the sling sewing .... but as far as the pumping goes, I would suggest nursing her first ..... then hand her off, and pump both breasts to empty/save for later. This works well IME.

5) Same diet as when PG, really ....lots of protein, plenty of water

Please keep us posted ....

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Old 05-20-2008, 11:00 PM

Don't have any advice but wanted to say congratulations! Hang in there mama!

Quoteriginally Posted by aswbarry~A~ Mama to DD 6y, DD , DD 3y and DD 1y
Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 PM

Congratulations!!

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
Old 05-21-2008, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Update - We're still plugging away! I'm just so scared with the nursing that she's not getting much or anything out of me. I can't seem to get her to truly latch on in any position with the left breast, and the right one, she pops on, takes a few swigs (maybe - she makes sucking motions anyways), and then falls in and out of sleep. It has never lasted more than 10 minutes - and that includes lots of sleepy-closed-eyes time in between each set of 2-3 sucks (and hopefully a swallow that I guess I should be able to hear, but can't). I'm still pumping, and still feeding using the bottles, but at least have avoided the freaking formula that they insisted on sending home with me (GAG!!). I think we're going to call the LLL ladies in the next town over (they don't have any here that are officially *with* LLL) - we're hopeful that someone will drive all the way out here (30 miles) to help me. Since Bekah's still so little and not even 36wks yet, the doc and hospital both advised (to put it nicely!) that we not take her all over, and don't let everyone come to our house just yet. So, the regular meeting is out for me this month.

I think maybe my boob is just too big for her tiny little mouth, plus she gets tired so fast, and just sleeps forever. She NEVER wakes up for the 3hr feedings - I always have to work hard at getting her even slightly conscious (take off her sleeper, rub her up, change diaper, etc), and even then she's barely there for the first half of each feeding. Usually after the half, she'll poop pretty good and we change her diaper again, and then she's much more with it. Sometimes we can even get 20 minutes or so of quiet alert time out of her after a feeding. Tonight, we tried letting her sleep, just to see how long it would be before she woke up hungry, and it was over 4 hours - we couldn't take it anymore.

I'm afraid if I tried the on-demand thing, she'd never hardly demand, and would fall asleep during, and would starve to death before we realized. Hubby said to find a medical supply place that rents those digital baby scales and rent it for a few weeks or a month, just so we can get some feedback on how things are going. That's a project for tomorrow.

Today the doc said that it could be possible to get the switch made in as little as 3 wks. but that 6 weeks was a realistic outside time frame. Does that sound right to those of you who have had to do this???

Also, my milk hasn't "come in" yet - today was the 7th day. It's now "milky" but the quantity just does seem to be there - nor is it consistent from pumping to pumping. Go a little over between pumpings, get 115cc. Closer together, get 65cc - big difference. I'm pretty certain it's the lack of sleep holding things up, as I've been really good with my nutrition all week - even in the hospital. I'm getting 1-2 hours naps about 3-4 times per 24 hours - nowhere near enough. Hubby re-did my schedule for me tonight in hopes of getting me more streamlined and back in bed regularly. At times I feel great, but at times I feel totally brain dead. Ha, the one thing that tells me I *am* doing something normal with the bf issue, is thatwithout fail, every time I feed Bekah, bf or bottle, the prolactin surges and IMMEDIATELY start to fall asleep - no matter what. It's kind of funny, although it wouldn't be if I actually dropped her or something. Good thing she's so little and lightweight and easy to hold, LOL!

Thansk again for the support and advice ladies. Keep it coming. I just can't get on here much it seems during the day - the nighttime hours have become my little private haven. I probably don't make much sense in my posts - rambling I guess. I hope that you all know how much this community helps me - where else could I turn at 11:30pm for advice and sympathy!! THANK YOU ALL!!!

Tracey Mouse (off to pump again, then feed, then I have to check the list to see what comes next!)

Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 AM

great advice everyone, it's so nice to "know" so many knowledgeable, supportive, and just plain friendly women.

Congrats on your baby girl, Tracy! It sounds to me like you are adjusting amazingly well to life with a newborn, especially after a birth experience that was far from what you were anticipating. Your H sounds wonderful. I have no advice for you that hasn't been given before, but I will second the advice to get a wrap (even ripping a sheet to the right proportions will do the trick) and wear your baby (esp skin-to-skin) as much as possible. I have read over and over how much it benefits both mom and baby, especially a preemie, and you can actually get things done without having to stop and check on your DD every two seconds. Also, if you can get a LLL consultant to speak to you or come visit, be sure to ask about a SNS, it seems to me like it would be really beneficial in your situation.

You can do it. You ARE doing it.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:47 AM

Tracey, I'd be very, very careful about getting a scale and weighing Bekah often. This is not going to give you the information you necessarily need. Rather, it's going to freak you out and question your ability to bf her. You're not going to notice much growth on a daily basis. Rather, use your eyes. Watch her body for signs of dehydration. Are her cheeks filling out more? Is her skin pink? If you really feel the need to weigh her, bring her in to your HCP and do it. I've seen too many parents get hung up on "weighing" baby after every feeding. It stresses them out and they typically end up quitting nursing because of it.

Your breasts are not too large for her. But, if they do become full of milk or engorged, you may need to pump/express a bit before she nurses to soften them up and make it easier for her to latch.

I really think you need to dump the bottle. It's only going to confuse her. She should only be getting the breast. A baby stimulates the breast far better than a pump does - you'll increase your milk supply faster when using the pump, too, but that may not be what she needs. An oversupply is not necessarily a good thing for a tiny baby!

She's a very tiny baby that simply doesn't need much to grow right now. Remember, her stomach is the size of her fist! As your milk comes in and gets thicker, she'll fill up quickly. I agree that you may not be able to do "on demand" all of the time. Whenever she stirs or seems like she's starting to wake, nurse her. Undress her so she's a bit cold as this will help to "wake" her up. But, at this early age, she's simply going to want to sleep a lot.

Definitely talk to someone from LLL. They do phone consults so it shouldn't matter if they're in the next town.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:10 PM

I agree on getting rid of the bottle. If she is unable to take it from you, then use an SNS until her sucks are better. The more bottle she has, the less she will want the breast. The earlier you get rid of it the better. She will always do better than a pump.

I could never feed my early baby on demand. I woke him every two hours during the day and every three hours at night until he was two months old. Not only for his nutrition, but for my supply. I had to put cold wet washcloths on him and leave him naked. It was hard, and I felt bad for him. But he had to eat!

You could rent a baby-weigh and then know how much she is taking at every feeding. Your LLL may have one just to ease your mind. She is probably getting more than you think from your breast. Probably much more than from the bottle.

Normally no one wants to use a nipple shield, but I think it would be better to use a nipple shield make shift SNS than use a bottle. That way at least she will have to latch on to you but you can still control how much she is getting IN ADDITION to what she is getting from your actual breast. Once your milk comes in, it should get a lot easier. Please stick with it, it will be well worth it in the end.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)

User Tag List