How close to home are you and DP staying, considering so close to due date? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a weird feeling, now that it could be TODAY or IN A MONTH! (due June 16) - with that said - would you allow DP to go to a work function 90 minutes away on Sunday? Would you go to a magnificent food festival jammed with people an hour away tonight?

Are you considering yourself and your DP "home bound" within like a 20 minute circle?

I should mention that I'm strep B positive, so my Dr. says that if my water breaks, I am to go to the hospital IMMEDIATELY - but I mean, it's not like there aren't hospitals in other cities, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 03:58 AM

DP and I kinda had this discussion earlier today. I asked if he wanted to go to Costco this week sometime and he said he thought it was too far from the birthing center. and it is I guess, 2 hours if not more, would be a lot longer if we got caught in traffic on the bridge. So we won't venture that direction, we have family a few towns south of us which we usually visit on weekends, and as long as we had the bag and carseat in the car with us I think we would go there granted I felt up to it. It's about an hour drive, and that town is closer to the birthing center than we are here. Again, granted traffic...I can't say I wouldn't mind just staying in our town until the baby is on the way and go to the birthing center. Have some time to ourselves and spend quality time with DS before we are a family of 4
#3 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 09:37 AM

Hee hee, I am driving myself to my sister's baby shower on Saturday, which is 2 hrs away. But we made that same trip when I was a week over with dd (admittedly, dh was with me, then). We were a lot more careful the first time out. I had a big wedding I was invited to right on my due date, it was an hour and a half away and DH said no way. He was worried I'd have the baby over there. It was pretty funny, especially after the 17hr labor 4 days later

Your Dr will want you in if your water breaks anyways, strep B or no. That's how they roll I had SROM pre-labor with my boys, and was asked to come in post haste...not that it *did* anything.
#4 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvillage View Post
What a weird feeling, now that it could be TODAY or IN A MONTH! (due June 16) - with that said - would you allow DP to go to a work function 90 minutes away on Sunday? Would you go to a magnificent food festival jammed with people an hour away tonight?
Yep to both. If you feel up to it, go and have fun!!
#5 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvillage View Post

Are you considering yourself and your DP "home bound" within like a 20 minute circle?

I should mention that I'm strep B positive, so my Dr. says that if my water breaks, I am to go to the hospital IMMEDIATELY - but I mean, it's not like there aren't hospitals in other cities, right?
I would not worry at all about the strep B issue - they'll give you the antibiotics when you get there.

Also, if it's your first, I wouldn't be in a terrible RUSH to get to the hospital. Better to labor at home than to start the clock "ticking" at the hospital on ALL those TIME LIMITS they will impose on you - could end in an unfortunate outcome.

That said, I would not be worried about dh going to thing on Sunday or going to a festival with 4 weeks to go. GOod luck!
#6 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 11:15 AM

Gosh, I've never really given it much thought, but I'm birthing at home. I was at the Zoo last Friday and came across a group of school kids. One of the teachers mentioned that another teacher's OB told her not to come to the Zoo (she's due a week AFTER me) because if she went into labor, she might not make it to her hospital of choice (30 minutes away). I was like, seriously? How many women who "go into labor" have a baby 30 minutes later??? I think she was just trying to get out of going on the fieldtrip!

Even if you ignore the signs for a while, you probably will have time to get in your car and make a 30 or even 90 minute trip to wherever you need to get to. Unless, of course, you have a history of super fast labors. But, IMO, most women aren't going to go into active labor until they're already where they need to be. It's all part of the "fight or flight" instinct.
#7 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 AM

Well I'll be around HOME ish not far from but not restriction really just not planning any trips

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#8 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 11:24 AM

I"m sticking around within 40 minutes of home but dh is going to some graduation parties 3 hours away on Sunday. (I'm about 37 weeks). If I felt like the baby might be coming soon I might talk him out of it, but at this point I feel comfortable that it'll be fine.
#9 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 11:41 AM

we are staying around for sure - we will be going in the hospital ASAP due to problems with our last delivery so we are staying either close to home or if we go out close to the hospital DH is not leaving my side pretty much - thankfully he arranged things so he could mostly work from home. I am 40 weeks on Saturday.
#10 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 11:49 AM

My mom just about had a fit last night when I told her that I had told DH to continue to schedule travel (he travels 1-2 nights per week for work) and just be ready to cancel it if anything looks like it's going to "go". I figured that worst-case scenario, he was a 4-6 hour drive away, and even in that case he could drive back and still get here in time if I called him up right away.

That said... he actually doesn't have any trips scheduled after he gets back tonight, and I think he'll try and stay local (like within 1-2 hour drive, no overnights) until after the baby is born.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#11 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 12:28 PM

No, we're not doing anything special in that regard. DH has a fishing trip planned for next Sunday, a couple hours away (and we don't have cell phones). He'll be gone for the day, but it's highly unlikely that I would go into labour AND give birth while he's gone.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#12 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 12:34 PM

I am done going on trips (just got back this weekend and I'm done being in the car for long periods ) but otherwise no "rules" for me or DH, not that we do much far from home anyway. I would be fine with going to Orlando (a little over an hour away) if we wanted to do something there. My labor with DS was long though so I don't think I'm in danger of a super quick one this time

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#13 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 PM

I am not going more than to town by myself. I am not worried about having the baby on the side of the road, more worried that if contractions start I won't be able to drive home. If dp was with me I would go an hour away.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#14 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 12:48 PM

I'm sending my DH to a nascar race an hour away when I'm 39 weeks He was very concerned his cell might not work there, I told him if I'm going to have a baby within the hour I'll find a way to have him paged

and I have to travel 45 mins to my MWs house once a week, but I guess that doesn't really count since if I went into active labor there, I'd just birth at her house!

Other than that I'm pretty close to home just because gas prices are so high and riding in the car has become not very fun for me.

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#15 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 04:43 PM

I don't have much reason to stray far from the farm at the moment or go further than the village (15 miles) so I haven't worried too much. DH usually travels a lot for work but he's taken 6 months off to do up the house, be with the baby and help out my inlaws.

I would certainly go to a food festival an hour away, wild horses wouldn't stop me going to a food festival!!
#16 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 04:51 PM

DH works a hour and half away, and I am encouraging him to go camping. he is kind of useless when I am in labor anyway. when it comes to being in labor I will probably wait until I KNOW I am truly in labor before calling and telling him to come home.

I am staying close to home I guess, i do travel down to DH work on occasion but that is closer to my MW so I feel ok doing that.

: mom of Gavin Rhain and Grant, Doula
#17 of 17 Old 05-29-2008, 05:16 PM

DH was supposed to go to Cheng Du this summer, and wouldn't have been home until after my due date, but he changed his mind at the last minute. (Thank god, or he would have been there for the earthquake.) Now he travels 45 minutes to work each day, but that isn't such a big deal because it is the same town that I will be deliverring in.

I'm not too worried about travel though. Like others have said, the baby probably won't come in the amount of time it takes to get to where you need to be anyway.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page