opinions please? (home induction for high blood pressure) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 15 Old 05-31-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
*mama moose*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Antioch, CA
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my 36 week MW apt yesterday, and overall it went pretty well, but I have some things to think about and I really need some input from my lovely DDC.

I've talked about it in other threads, my BP is slowly creeping upwards despite my efforts to stop it. Yesterday it was 130/85, whereas generally its under 120/80. The past 2 weeks I've been taking it whenever I see a cuff at a store (about 4-5 times a week) and its hovering around 135/80, its been a little higher a few times but it hasn't lowered back to normal at all despite brewer diet, taking cal/mag, lots of exercise (walking, swimming when its warm enough). I have swelling too but no headaches. The sucky thing is this is the EXACT same thing that happened with DD1 (it got up to 140/90ish by 39 weeks), and the reason I was induced at 39 weeks on a pit drip.

So, now you have the backstory. Well, yesterday we were talking about my BP, and she asked me what they did with DD1, I told her they started with breaking my water and put me on pit an hour later, that my BP was ok through labor and I didn't have pre-e(no protein spilling).
She then surprised me a little by saying that if my BP keeps going up and if my cervix is favorable we could try a home induction (maybe castor oil or cohoshes and AROM) at 39/40 weeks instead of risking out to a hospital birth.

I would pretty much do ANYTHING to avoid a pit drip again, in fact, I'm already going to great lengths with this brewer diet because I somehow manage to choke down eggs every morning even though they are my least favorite food
But in seriousness, I'm not sure how I feel about home induction. I know its got to be better than risking out and transfering to a hospital, because by the time I risked out of HB with my BP, I'd be induced at the hospital anyways, there wouldn't be an option of waiting for labor to start on its own. But at the same time, I know there are dangers to home induction, though I'm guessing not as much as medical induction....

UGH! Overall I'm just frustrated that my body won't just cooperate and have a normal pregnancy! But I guess thats besides the point....

Anyways, I have a few weeks obviously, and it could be a moot point if it stays ok until I go into labor on my own, but I really want to put thought into this. I really trust my MW, I do think she has my best interest at heart. I just hate the idea of forcing yet another baby out before shes ready, you know?

So, any input anyone has would be great, experiences or anything else....thanks guys...

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
*mama moose* is offline  
#2 of 15 Old 05-31-2008, 12:49 PM
 
Twwly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bruce County, ON
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would personally try the home route 1st.

But worry will do nothing for your blood pressure either. So I would try to do whatever you need to do to feel less stressed about the situation. If that means making a deal with yourself not to think about it again until 38 weeks, or deciding to try home 1st (even if you change your mind), I would just do it.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
Twwly is offline  
#3 of 15 Old 05-31-2008, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
 
*mama moose*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Antioch, CA
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm also thinking, maybe I should start taking EPO now, so if I'm faced with this in a few weeks my cervix WILL be favorable to it? Are there any drawbacks to using EPO? Goggle isn't bringing up much for me....

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
*mama moose* is offline  
#4 of 15 Old 05-31-2008, 05:20 PM
 
Lizafava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does your midwife think you are developing pre-e, or does she think you just tend toward pregnancy induced hypertension? This is obviously something only you can decide, but I would personally treat myself for PIH and try to get the BP down while keeping an eye on other pre-e symptoms. I would not induce before 41 weeks with a BP like that. Does your midwife have a certain BP cutoff for you? Has she given you lots of ideas and suggestions for getting it down? Different stuff works for different women. Have you tried any herbs? To me, 130/85 is not terribly high if you can keep it from going up too much more. Especially since you are normally in the 120/80 range.

There have been some excellent threads in the birth professional forum about PIH vs. pre-e. Maybe search and/or ask there. You say that you weren't spilling protein when you were induced the last time. Maybe elevated BP at the end of pregnancy is normal (though not ideal) for you, and you just need to manage that.

If push came to shove I would definitely think of a home induction before a hospital induction. Starting EPO is a great idea. Good luck to you!
Lizafava is offline  
#5 of 15 Old 05-31-2008, 05:29 PM
 
*Karen*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizafava View Post
Does your midwife think you are developing pre-e, or does she think you just tend toward pregnancy induced hypertension? This is obviously something only you can decide, but I would personally treat myself for PIH and try to get the BP down while keeping an eye on other pre-e symptoms. I would not induce before 41 weeks with a BP like that. Does your midwife have a certain BP cutoff for you? Has she given you lots of ideas and suggestions for getting it down? Different stuff works for different women. Have you tried any herbs? To me, 130/85 is not terribly high if you can keep it from going up too much more. Especially since you are normally in the 120/80 range.

There have been some excellent threads in the birth professional forum about PIH vs. pre-e. Maybe search and/or ask there. You say that you weren't spilling protein when you were induced the last time. Maybe elevated BP at the end of pregnancy is normal (though not ideal) for you, and you just need to manage that.

If push came to shove I would definitely think of a home induction before a hospital induction. Starting EPO is a great idea. Good luck to you!
:
I really wouldn't worry about it if you aren't spilling protein. If you do, then I would try a home induction.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
*Karen* is offline  
#6 of 15 Old 05-31-2008, 08:51 PM
 
BirthFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 2,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your MW really needs to verify with labs... high bp is not reason alone to induce - at home or otherwise. If your labs are looking bad, then I say home induction. But if not, even with higher to high bp, you're ok.

I had pre-E and a home induction. My labs were horrible... I don't regret that choice, but I do think that that kind of verification is needed. Otherwise, they're not for sure a bad thing (the high #s).

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

BirthFree is offline  
#7 of 15 Old 05-31-2008, 11:07 PM
 
BlueMoonBean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: In the lab...
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know anything about pre-e or about home induction, but I wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and wishing for a nice, peaceful birth for you.

For me, with my current level of knowledge, I think I would opt to try a home induction before consenting to a hospital one, but I agree w/ pp that I would make SURE that an induction was necessary before attempting either.

The EPO sounds like a really good idea. One other thing that I've heard is an all-around late pregnancy godsend is alfalfa. I don't know about bp, but it is supposed to help with swelling a bit, plus it balances your iron and gives lots of Vit K, which helps to prevent postpartum hemmorhage. I don't know, but I've been feeling tons better since I started taking it... I'm not as tired and my swelling has gone down.

BlueMoonBean is offline  
#8 of 15 Old 05-31-2008, 11:11 PM
 
ladyelms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rocky Mountains.
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just an FYI in case things proceed in that direction (crossing fingers they don't--hopefully your mw will be very agressive and patient in trying alternative treatments first), I would strongly recommend against AROM. Not many mw's are comfortable doing them, w/ good reason.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!
ladyelms is offline  
#9 of 15 Old 05-31-2008, 11:38 PM
 
PiesandAbrosmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Leadville CO
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I have never been induced or on pit so for what it's worth I might not have the best opinion. I have heard awful never good stories with the castor oil: almost everyone that has told me they tried or did induce with castor oil swears never again- but iif that was the alternative to the PIT i have heard very few good stories about a PIT induced birth experiance or at least labor was way to intense. So I just don't know-could you try the whole chrio/massage route paying attention to the pregnancy pressure points and then try the herbal cervix ripening routes? Aka sex and evening primrose ect? I hope you can talk more in depth with your midwife and I will be thinking of you. Good luck mama

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
PiesandAbrosmama is offline  
#10 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
 
*mama moose*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Antioch, CA
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. I do need to ask her the exact cut off, and I agree that I want this to be a last resort. I really need to express to her my desire to go into labor on my own. August was almost 9lbs and alert and all, but a big regret in my life is inducing her at 39 weeks because I don't think spiritually she was ready to come out. So, next time I talk to my MW I'm going to bring up checking for protein before consenting to any kind of induction.
She hasn't really suggested much to keep my BP down other than eating a lot of protein and salt to taste but watch for hidden sodium, and exercise everyday. I did tell her I was doing the brewer diet and she thought that was a good idea, I guess she thinks I have a pretty good handle on what to do, maybe I should ask her for more suggestions.

About the EPO, how does that work, it won't send me into labor if I start it now, right? Do you insert it vaginally, does it fully disolve in there? Should I call and ask her about taking it or is it one of those harmless things that I can just take on my own?

and I'm going to try alfalfa too, I was talking extra cal/mag but then I found out I'm anemic (my body is just loving me this pregnancy let me tell you ) so I'm taking floradix twice a day and keep forgetting to take my cal/mag because I need to wait hours between the two (so the calcium doesn't mess up my iron absorbing going on). So I'll pick up alfalfa and EPO today and see how that goes.
I feel like if it stays just slightly elevated I'm not worried about it, especially since with August it never got over 140/90 ish, so the pattern I guess is normal for me. My friend who had pre-E was shocked that they induced me for that number last time, she was induced as well but her bottom numbers were well over 100 before they went that route!

I'm really sad to even be thinking about this again, this is why I chose homebirth, why I worked my butt off to pay for everything, because I really regret forcing August out, I don't WANT to go through that again. And I guess if it comes to the castor oil or whatever, I can come to terms with it still being better than my last birth, but I really want to experience going into labor on my own, and feel what real labor is like for my body.

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
*mama moose* is offline  
#11 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 11:26 AM
 
Isfahel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had really high bp in my first pg, up to 170/90 in the last few weeks. I had tremendous swelling but no protein spilling. My mw wasn't very good and I didn't really know that much so I didn't really worry. I did take a few tinctures and tried to eat right. I went into labor at 40wks 1 day naturally and Ari came out after only 4-5 hours of labor. MW didn't make it til her head was out so I didn't have the chance to check bp during labor. But everything was fine with me and her. So you can have a normal homebirth with major hypertension
Isfahel is offline  
#12 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 11:56 AM
 
yogamama2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't posted in a while but I got a new password because I HAD to respond to your post! I am a few weeks ahead of you, but in the SAME place. This is my 3rd birth, 2nd out of hospital, 1st homebirth, 3rd with BP issues. I am due on Tuesday, so I'm almost 40 weeks, but my bp has been about 136/88 - 136/40 at my appointments for about 2 weeks and my midwives are concerned as well. I am convinced it is all anxiety (I get normal readings at home, taken by mom, an RN, and my husband) but my midwives aren't! This is the reason I choose homebirth this time, to avoid all this stress, but here it is again. I was induced at 37 weeks with my first, with pit, hospital birth, horrible, horrible experience - baby spent a week in the NICU after 32 hours of labor due to complications from the induction. 2nd birth I was *almost* risked out of the birthing center because of the same issue (I've never had protein in my urine or swelling, by the way, it's all PIH), but I recorded my blood pressure at home (2X a day) and they would take that, so as long as it stayed normal at home, the midwives let me stay pregnant - but my second came at 41 weeks and 5 days! It was an awesome birth though. I was sure I was going into labor yesterday, called everyone here, and then everything stopped - but my bp was 136/40 again. So we tried castor oil - it wasn't bad AT ALL - BUT I'm still pregnant! This kiddo just is not ready to come out yet, and that is that. Thankfully, the midwives and my doula went home and I got a good night's sleep, and now we just wait, but all I can think about is that I have an appointment on Wednesday and my bp MUST stay around 140/40 or they may want me to go to the hospital. I am planning on having my membranes swept Wednesday, but would rather wait until 41 weeks to go the castor oil route again. I am also taking orally the EPO, going to insert it vaginally, and as much sex as I can stand (semen has prostoglandins - excuse my spelling!) until Wednesday. Yesterday they thought my cervix was favorable for the castor oil induction, but clearly not enough! So even castor oil will not work if you are not ready to go into labor!

I hope all goes well for you. I'm at the place where I'm trying to figure out what to say if they say hospital, because I believe mine is all anxiety related (I'm taking the cal/mag and passionflower tincture and have been for weeks) and they don't, so we may reach a point where we disagree, and I'm hoping very much that that does not happen. I'm not sure what I would do because I definately do not want a UC, but "borderline" bp is not getting me to go to the hospital! Good luck with your situation, just had to share that you are not the only one, but that the castor oil was not bad for me AT ALL and the contractions it did cause were VERY "natural" and I feel it was pushing me towards labor, but not in any way like pit! I would try it again, without question, before ever agreeing to go in to the hospital. Good luck!
yogamama2 is offline  
#13 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 12:07 PM
 
NatureMama3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Catching life's curveballs
Posts: 5,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not in your DDC but after a scare with high BP/protein/etc this past month I started on Mama Calm (prenatal magnesium formula) and it fixed that all right up. You can get it online or at health food stores--well worth the relatively minor expense!
NatureMama3 is offline  
#14 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
 
*mama moose*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Antioch, CA
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks for posting that naturemama, I lurk on your DDC from time to time (I can't help it I swear! ) and I remember you were having BP issues. I wonder where I can find that in town, maybe I'll try whole foods next time we're in that area, might not be until my next prenatal though (friday)....

I feel like a medicine cabinet BTW , I wake up, take my floradix, two hours later eat breakfast, drink a protein shake, and take my prenatal, at bedtime more floradix, now I'm adding in EPO, alfalfa, and maybe Mama Calm if I can find it!

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
*mama moose* is offline  
#15 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 PM
 
NatureMama3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Catching life's curveballs
Posts: 5,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
try a chiropractor. that's where I got mine
NatureMama3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off