pain in upper belly - strained muscle? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-01-2008, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I have a sore spot on my upper abdomen that I am pretty sure is muscular. I mentioned this to a woman at my dd's Dutch school and she told me to call my midwife right away because this could be a sign of HELLP syndrome. She had a friend with a stillborn and had similar complaints.

I called the l&d nurse and she asked me a few questions, including my bp at past appointments (always within normal) and I have zero swelling. She said it sounded like a muscle strain, although most strains occur under the belly (round ligament pain).

I am curious if anyone else has ever strained an abdominal muscle in the upper abdomen? It only hurts in certain positions and I can't pick dd up. The nurse didn't sound concerned but this mom at dd's school really got me worried!

Thoughts??

Jacqueline
#2 of 4 Old 06-01-2008, 01:52 AM

(Not in dd club)

Sounds more like diastasis. Basically the muscles in your stomach pull apart. Its normal, though after you have your baby,you're going to have to do some exercises to pull the muscles back together.

gotta love the oh-so-helpful horror stories huh?

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#3 of 4 Old 06-01-2008, 02:05 AM

I've had similar pain that comes and goes. It first started behind my belly button then migrated up over time. But, as I said, only off and on. (few days on, then off) And it hurt to fill my belly further w/ food...

Listen to your instincts, they're usually always right.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Alora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Ailish Brynn Elspeth, 6/12/14!
#4 of 4 Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 AM

I had a soreness in my upper bump earlier in pregnancy. I think it was from a little baby's foot kicking me over and over

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page