Why weekly visits? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got my weekly appointment today at 3pm... I remember enjoying my weekly appts with my first baby... It broke thigns up and made me feel accomplished...

My second and this one?? Pshhhh...Whats the point!?

I haven't gained any weight, my blood pressure is fine... my pee is clear and free of whatever they're looking for, baby's head down, kicking's good, no leaking, no blood, no swelling...they could CALL me to give me my GBS results...

I SEE no reason to drive past the river and through the woods!!

BLAH...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 08:50 PM

Why don't you ask your doc that?
I know for me its the threat of pre-e that makes me want weekly visits.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 PM

That's why I UPed w/this one. I got on board and made some commitments to myself but, pffft, I just didn't see the point in going in all the time. I've been in 3 times (2 were before I decided to up/uc). The last time we just chatted about birth supplies. I'll go next week and cover what ifs, maybe do a few routine checks if I want. I like calling the shots My mw told me, although she does the routine checks w/most of her clients, she spends most of her time talking, getting to know the mom/family. That certainly doesn't sound any alarm bells that pregnant women HAVE to have so many appts, yk?
Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 PM

I don't do weekly visits - couldn't take the drive.

That's the good thign about a MW - she doesn't mind.

I have my last appt. next week -I'll be 38 1/2 weeks. I'll see her next when I am in labor!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...maybe I should ask her if I really need to come in next week...

I think I'll know if something changes, as it is I've never had issues, and I know myself pretty well...
Old 06-04-2008, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Vanessa... I asked my mw if I could skip next week... She's fine with it... the only negative is it means I wont see her for awhile... She leaves the 12th, back the 19th...so I'll see the ob.

No biggie, might as well since he'll might just be my bebe catcher...

I left feeling REALLY good... I feel in control... I know my body, and I know I don't need to go in next week!
Old 06-04-2008, 01:02 AM

I'm having them with my HB midwife now, too. When she comes to me, it's not a big deal. However, getting the kids (four) all ready and driving the 40min to her is the pits right now (we alternate weeks), so I know what you're saying. Baby and I are all-around good, too...so I've been going like a trooper, but understand the "Pffft" feeling, too. I'm just glad I didn't feel the need to keep up dual-care (with an OB) after finally finding my MW...I'd be going TWICE a week now! ACK! Annoyances aside though, it's great to have good health on our (and baby's) side.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Definitely!!
Old 06-04-2008, 02:22 AM

My MW also said it was up to me. I am due any day and had my last appointment on May 17. Probably won't see her again until labor unless I suspect a problem.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaHen2J&J View Post
Thanks Vanessa... I asked my mw if I could skip next week... She's fine with it... the only negative is it means I wont see her for awhile... She leaves the 12th, back the 19th...so I'll see the ob.

No biggie, might as well since he'll might just be my bebe catcher...

I left feeling REALLY good... I feel in control... I know my body, and I know I don't need to go in next week!

Funny...that is the only reason I think the weekly visits are worthwhile at this point, so that I am seeing my midwives and just visiting with them and talking about birth stuff. Of course it feels more important to me since there is a new midwife on my team as of a couple months ago and I feel like I'm still getting to know her. Otherwise I think the weekly visits are overkill.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Total overkill... I just left feeling like I failed some test, having to make yet another weekly appt.

Not that I had cervical checks, but obviously I left in the exact condition I came in with...so whats the use! :P
Old 06-04-2008, 05:08 PM

My hb mw told me we could go 4 weeks if I was comfortable. I was 35.5 weeks at the time. I tend to go late, so I am fine with! Plus, she lives 30 miles away and gas prices are ridiculous! And I pay per visit, so that saves me $$$, too!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Serious!

I've nearly completely cut out any needless driving!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooey View Post
Funny...that is the only reason I think the weekly visits are worthwhile at this point, so that I am seeing my midwives and just visiting with them and talking about birth stuff. Of course it feels more important to me since there is a new midwife on my team as of a couple months ago and I feel like I'm still getting to know her. Otherwise I think the weekly visits are overkill.
Yeah I actually have been enjoying my visits b/c I really like our family doc and every time she comes in she tells me about the great birth she recently attended or something fun that her son, who is a couple months older than mine, recently did. It's been a good way for us to get to know each other better.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 06-04-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltroy View Post
Yeah I actually have been enjoying my visits b/c I really like our family doc and every time she comes in she tells me about the great birth she recently attended or something fun that her son, who is a couple months older than mine, recently did. It's been a good way for us to get to know each other better.
I agree. Mine aren't a huge inconvenience (only 15 miles or so) so I do go regularly. I like chatting with them and my 3 year old loves it! I think it's good for her to see them taking good care of me so she won't worry when I'm in labor.

Although, I apparently stood my MW up yesterday! She had me down for Tuesday and I have her down for Thursday! Still hoping to cancel tomorrow, but that's just wishful thinking. Really not looking forward to scheduling next week's appointment....
Old 06-05-2008, 12:45 AM

Yeah i loved the visits the first couple of pregnancies but now they are just annoying, having to take 4 kiddos or find a babysitter.

this week when they called to confirm my appointment i lied and said i wouldnt be in town. so i got one week off!

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)

User Tag List