Who else has a posterior baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Baby has been treating me to changing positions to being posterior. It's causing horrible pain down in my low pelvis when baby moves their head... does anyone else have this going on for them? I'm wondering if I can do ANYthing to help that pain. I keep trying to get baby to move but they are happy being how they are as of now.

Anyone else in my boat?

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#2 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 02:59 AM

Mine is posterior...and has been for quite some time. Actually, I think all of mine have been (maybe due to my uterine shape or something) as I've had horrid back labor with all of them. I've had SPD (pubic symphysis) pain pretty badly this pregnancy. Some days I manage, other days I can barely walk. I am seeing a chiro now, but having suffered from it herself, she said having the baby is the only "cure". I'm currently having lots of cervical and low back pain/pressure, too. I think my LO is pretty well engaged so I'm not feeling head movements higher up.

Have you tried ice...or even a cold rice sock between your legs? Kinda weird, but it brings some relief! (My chiro said using the warm rice sock for that purpose would suck out the moisture and, other than a bath, recommended icing instead.) How about a warm bath, positioning on all fours and elbows and knees, or pelvic tilts? I know, for me, sleeping is so ridiculously uncomfortable now that it's almost pointless. I was never in this much pain with my others. It's hard, I know... s

I hope you get some relief and rest!
#3 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 AM

Right here...my bean has been posterior ever since she flipped from being breech. All the spinning babies techniques only resulted in temporary anterior positioning; she spun back around quickly after. These days though, things are tighter inside, so I thought I'd give spinning her another try. All I did was do the hands and knees position, but this time on my futon, which is tilted downwards on the seat part. I positioned my left side on the part of the futon that's lower than the other; after 20 minutes, my belly looked a bit different and I could feel her back right against my belly, so I switched to a deep squat to try to get her to engage like that.

It worked. But only until this morning. There must be something about my shape that encourages posterior positioning (my doula suggested it might have something to do with the position of my placenta)...but at least I know it's still possible to spin her despite how tight things are in there!
#4 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 07:51 AM

Good luck, yes mine came out facing up and all I can say is that it makes the last contractions (before the head is crowning) painful. That excruciating lower back pain did not prevent me from having an excellent birth though. It went so fast!
#5 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 10:39 AM

This baby has been LOA for the longest time until about Friday when suddenly OP seemed like the way to go. : I've been working on repositioning but it doesn't do anything long-lasting. I really would like to get the baby well-positioned since I know s/he will be good sized (thinking around 10 lbs) and after pushing for 6 hours w/ my 9 lb 4 oz baby, I just don't really WANT to do a 10 lb OP baby. The baby is not engaged yet, DD also did not engage until labor. This position definitely makes my back hurt a lot during my practice labor stuff. I had some back labor off and on with DD b/c she was ascynclitic.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#6 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by balancedmama View Post
This baby has been LOA for the longest time until about Friday when suddenly OP seemed like the way to go. : I've been working on repositioning but it doesn't do anything long-lasting. I really would like to get the baby well-positioned since I know s/he will be good sized (thinking around 10 lbs)
Me too!!!

Well if you come up with something, do share, b/c I'm right there with you (but I think this is a 9lb'er vs. 10... but still, that's pretty close).

Silly babies, don't they know??

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#7 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 AM

I *suspect* that this babe has been hanging out posterior and I'm going to have my MW check for sure today. If so, I'm going to try hard to get babe to twirl, using the normal methods.

THEN, I'm going to use one of my doula friend's tricks: once the babe is in the position you want, bind your belly HARD w/most of the pressure just below your ribcage and lifting up the bottom of your belly. This gently encourages the babe to engage firmly and prevents them from rotating again. You can find more info about it on Ronnie Falco's midwife pages..... I'll see if I can find the link.

ETA - http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/...n.html#Lifting
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/...tml#Engagement

I used this w/Nora when she was stuck in ROT and it helped a lot!!
#8 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 05:28 PM

Mine's posterior, too.: I think most of mine were in the "right" position by this point but not this little guy. I am thankful he's head down and has stayed that way.

I saw the mw yesterday and I've been suspecting posterior for a couple of months. We figured that, although he's not looking straight out, he is kind of looking to the left in an upside down diagonal position - if that makes sense. She told me if I was concerned to spend some time on hands and knees.

I'm trying not to get worked up about it and I'm kind of lazy about doing stuff anyway, lol. Plus, I've just always had this sense that babies will do what they will do. My placenta is anterior so maybe he's snuggling up to it. Maybe he wants to stay like this until closer to birthing. I don't want him to be posterior but maybe it's not my choice. I've heard plenty of stories about babies positioning themselves a certain way and, after they were born, everyone realized why the baby HAD to be that way, yk?

What I've been telling him mostly is that it's okay. I'm ready. He can turn around now. He was actually lower in my pelvis last week, then dd had some cluster seizures and had to be admitted to the hospital. That must have scared him b/c he wiggled right back up so now the heartburn is back. I'm trying to do my tv watching laid over my birth ball but it's not comfortable. I guess I'll give it my best shot.
#9 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 10:00 PM

Hey all -- My baby ( 5 days old now!) was posterior. I though perhaps he was just sideways and he'd right himself promptly in labour, but no such luck. So yes, I had back labour an yes it was difficult, but the birth was still beautiful and short and this was with pitocin pain as well.

So al this to say, I do believe in letting things be and in trusting our babies to do what they need to do . Our job is to follow along, I think.

So if you get to the birthing day and your babies are still posterior, you'll be OK and so will they.

Just a little cheer from the sidelines!
#10 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthFree View Post
Me too!!!

Well if you come up with something, do share, b/c I'm right there with you (but I think this is a 9lb'er vs. 10... but still, that's pretty close).

Silly babies, don't they know??
Well, so far...having a frank discussion with the baby hasn't worked. So, cross that off of the list.

Oh, and eating loads of cookies doesn't help either.

#11 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 11:30 PM

My guy was postierior at my MW appt. a week ago, but this week he had turned. I'm pretty sure he's turning in there constantly at least that's how it feels. What's more concernng to me than being backwards is his apparent love for having his hands up by his head...I realllly hope he doesn't try to come out like superman.
#12 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooey View Post
What's more concernng to me than being backwards is his apparent love for having his hands up by his head...I realllly hope he doesn't try to come out like superman.
: That's actually the main reason I thought my babe was posterior (according to the MW today, s/he's actually LOT, the wonky belly shape is just my didelphis). I'm feeling lots of hand movement up front right by the head, on the right side. Really don't want to push out a head/hand combo, esp. if this babe ends up bigger than my last (9lb5)..........
#13 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 12:39 AM

O.K., so how do you know if your baby is posterior?

I know my bean in head down and I know his back is on my right side. Where is the baby's back supposed to be?

Dee
#14 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDee4 View Post
O.K., so how do you know if your baby is posterior?

I know my bean in head down and I know his back is on my right side. Where is the baby's back supposed to be?

Dee
http://www.spinningbabies.com/

This is the best website, IMO, for helping you to determine and understand baby's position.
#15 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 01:09 PM

For all you mamas I highly urge you to see a Chiro experienced with positioning in pregnancy and get an adjustment and the Webster technique a few times prior to labor. And learn how to rotate your baby while in labor if your baby remains posterior. I have had two posterior positioned labors, after that I did what ever I could to prevent it from happening with my 3rd -- and it worked. FWIW, only doing exercises at home prior to labor has not been shown in studies to have any effect, but chiro treatment has. Good luck everyone.
#16 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 06:28 PM

I think my baby was posterior during labor but was able to turn before birth. I had the work back labor and pubic bone pain/pressure. I could feel her moving around for most of the labor, so I figure she was working her way into the correct position. The only thing that helped the discomfort in labor was being on my hands and knees with DH dumping hot water over my lower back.

I hope your baby turns for you

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#17 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cuties View Post
For all you mamas I highly urge you to see a Chiro experienced with positioning in pregnancy and get an adjustment and the Webster technique a few times prior to labor. And learn how to rotate your baby while in labor if your baby remains posterior. I have had two posterior positioned labors, after that I did what ever I could to prevent it from happening with my 3rd -- and it worked. FWIW, only doing exercises at home prior to labor has not been shown in studies to have any effect, but chiro treatment has. Good luck everyone.
Yeah, I wish that were the case with me. Chiro 2x a week and the kiddo is still stubborn.

#18 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balancedmama View Post
Yeah, I wish that were the case with me. Chiro 2x a week and the kiddo is still stubborn.
A couple things mama -- first hang in there! With my third pregnancy I was so determined to avoid a posterior that I began seeing a chiro at like 25 weeks -- at 39 weeks she was still posterior! : I also did home positioning (hands and knees, etc.) and I learned what to do during labor, I was prepped. But she flipped before labor, I just kept going back to the chiro and she flipped -- so your baby may still flip. Are you doing both adjustments and webster? I found both useful ( although I don't think they can do them at the same time). So anyway, there is still time!

Second, if your baby doesn't, won't flip prior to labor -- just educate yourself on how to turn your baby during labor and how to deal with back labor. Having that knowledge will help enormously!

Third, some babies just need to be in the position they are -- it doesn't mean that I think we shouldn't try to move them -- but if they refuse to budge after everything (still try! try! try!) -- just have faith your baby knows what it is doing. Good luck mama.
#19 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 PM

Also, I have heard fab things about having a chiro adjust women DURING labor. That is extremely helpful too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page