how much/what kind of movement? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2008, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mamas, still waiting here with you, and baby moves everyday, good heart rate etc., but it sure does feel different than earlier -- movements more slight and fewer and farther between. Obviously, s/he's pretty squished in there at this point (I'll be 40w on Sunday), and I know this is pretty normal, but I just can't remember from last time what this point was like. Can you reassure me? What's the movement like for you?

sweetheart to b , mama to G , W , and expecting : baby 3! in April 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 12:00 PM

I mostly get some bum shifting around and leg stretches (which manifest as feet poking out my side) - baby seems pretty strong in there, but squished! I'm 40+1 today.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 06-13-2008, 12:26 PM

My doc was telling me that as of 37 weeks or so, the type of movement changes from pokes and jabs, to "rolling" type movements...imagine feeling the outside of a sleeping bag while someone tries to shift around inside. That's mostly the kind of movement I get these days. I've also gotten the feet sticking out of my sides a few times.

If you need a specific number, you could do a "kick count", by drinking something hot and sweet and lying down for an hour or two to see how many times you feel movement. At this point, I was told that 10 times over 2 hours is pretty standard.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Appreciate it. Didn't want to go trolling around on the internet for the fear factor that is everywhere, and I knew you ladies would have some reasonable checks. My mw said sort of the same things; but I like hearing what others' practitioners have to say as well.

sweetheart to b , mama to G , W , and expecting : baby 3! in April 2010
Old 06-13-2008, 01:43 PM

My OB is not concerned at all with kick counts, just asks to make sure she's moving.

This baby is definitely cramped in there and i get some elbow jabs in my pelvis, leg stretching and occassional rolling around. Some days are pretty active while others are slower, but always at least 5 movements an hour if I'm paying attention.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:44 PM

All babies are different, too. In my case, this one has been much "gentler" throughout the entire pregnancy than my others were. Hiccups happen several times per day. Other than that, it's mostly just quiet rolls and pressing. Hard jabs and such are pretty few and far between. Like you said, though, my LO's HR and growth has been great! No sooner do I begin to get a little concerned and I get a "Hello" bump or roll.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:51 PM

Yup much slower, less room and maybe more resting before the big day? That's my thoughts anyway but I really have to concentrate to feel the movement sometime. Soon we will hold them

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
Old 06-13-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfasianmomma View Post
imagine feeling the outside of a sleeping bag while someone tries to shift around inside.
That's one of the best descriptions I've read of late-term movement. Sounds exactly like what I get, complete with the every-so-often jutting limb that sticks out the side.

User Tag List