Henna tattoo this late? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-13-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, weird question, but here goes. I got in touch with an artist who does henna designs on pregnant bellies and she'd be willing to see me on Monday afternoon. She said the design would last about 2 to 3 weeks...I'm wondering how it'll look after that long...Then it occurred to me that I could pop any day now and that it might not look so good after baby is born.

Has anyone gotten this done this late? I've only ever gotten a real tattoo so I don't know jack about henna.
#2 of 10 Old 06-13-2008, 01:26 PM

I do henna. It all depends on how often you was your belly. And please make sure its 100% Henna and only with lemon juice and lavendar oil. are you allergic to anything? if you have a nut allergy i would not go with it. about hte design. I am not sure about what it would look like after birth. I can find some informatioin or you can go to hennapage.com and search there. that is where I have learned all i know. I believe they have a section for henna on preg. woman. IHTH's you. If you need me to find info just pm me.
#3 of 10 Old 06-13-2008, 01:32 PM

Sure, go for it! I mean I have no idea what it'll look like when the baby is out but at least now you could take some nice pictures and in a way it is also a celebration of your belly - maybe it will make it easier to celebrate your postpartum belly too, who knows.

Henna is basically a die that seeps into the first layers of your skin and will fade as the skin renews itself and slowly comes off layer by layer. I used to sell henna tattoos ( a looong while ago ....*sigh*) but I never had the honour to paint a pregnant belly Maybe I should paint mine now...

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#4 of 10 Old 06-13-2008, 05:15 PM

go for it! it's fun, beautiful and relaxing. I *think* if you peel/wash off the dried henna early it won't be as dark and won't last as long. When the time comes you'll be too busy adoring your beautiful newborn...you probably won't think twice about your fading henna.

Take pics!!
#5 of 10 Old 06-13-2008, 05:43 PM

Um, I'm *really* not trying to sound negative here but, speaking as a multipara, the last thing that's going to make your belly look weird postpartum is a fading henna tattoo...

I think that the whole jelly-belly effect was one of the things that shocked me the most after I had my first. It's common sense once you think about it, but I was truly stunned by the amount of skin I had flopping about. I wondered why nobody had warned me about that. Oddly enough, I can think about that stage and grin nostagically now.

ETA - We should start a thread with all the "Nobody told me to expect XYZ...."

ETA 2 - Go for the tattoo! You'll enjoy it while you're still pregnant and you can use it to focus on during labor.... Pregnant henna bellies are so pretty!
#6 of 10 Old 06-13-2008, 06:06 PM

I'd go for it. It sounds like a nice way to celebrate the last few weeks of your pregnancy.

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

#7 of 10 Old 06-13-2008, 06:20 PM

do it! i just got one on my belly a week ago as part of my belly blessing (I'm 37+4 today), and it is stunning! two of my friends who had them done said that they lasted about 2 weeks, then, poof! were gone.

who cares what it looks like after birth? for now your belly will be even more beautiful! And, you have stretch marks like me, right? If I had known about henna w/ DS1 (when I got the suckers), I would have had henna all the time!

the artist who did mine said that once the henna paste peels off, it will take about 24 -48 hours to get as dark as it's going to. This depends on your skin type and texture, but mine is still pretty distinct. (when this is done for say, an east indian wedding, they do the palms b/c coarser, thicker skin takes the dye more readily). Then, it will gradually wear away. moisturizing your skin (what belly doesn't love that?) is supposed to help too.

HTH.
#8 of 10 Old 06-13-2008, 06:22 PM

I got mine done, and my hands, a little over a week ago. I love it! It's really fading already though -- I have to wash my hands so much with ds, so... but I'm glad I did it. We got great photos etc. I'd post one here but I don't know how to do that on MDC. Go for it!

sweetheart to b , mama to G , W , and expecting : baby 3! in April 2010
#9 of 10 Old 06-13-2008, 06:24 PM

I'd go for it. How many people are you going to be showing your post partum belly to??

Would you rather have not done it and not have a weird looking henna design after delivery - or have done it and get to enjoy it for the few days/weeks you have left?
#10 of 10 Old 06-13-2008, 06:53 PM

your pp tummy will look weird henna'd or not, so henna away!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page