Early labor - best ways to keep this going!!??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-16-2008, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had contractions all last night - enough to wake me every time but not enough to get me out of bed. Lost my mucus plug at 5am, now (8:30am) the contrx are coming approx 8-10 minutes apart but they are still pretty mild.

What are your best suggestions for keeping this labor going? I've just dropped DD off with a neighbor (she's never been away from me before). So that, among other reasons, is enough for me to want to make sure this isn't a false alarm.

I'm busy walking walking walking around my house. What else will help me keep this going right through to delivery??
#2 of 13 Old 06-16-2008, 01:20 PM

Nipple stimulation really really jump started my labor last time...also just moving around like your doing...maybe go for a walk outside if it's nice enough so you don't get too bored just walking around the house.
#3 of 13 Old 06-16-2008, 02:45 PM

Personally I think if it's the real thing, it will probably keep going. If they're not too uncomfortable and still that far apart, I'd probably go about my normal day until they're making you work pretty hard. A nice walk would be good, if it were me I would hang on to DD until you know for sure. Good luck! HOpefully they're already picked up for you.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#4 of 13 Old 06-16-2008, 03:01 PM

If you don't HAVE to keep them going, I kinda think it's better to let them do their thing. I say that b/c I had to HAVE to keep them going once (I had pre-E and my labs were scary-bad - I had 24 hours to have the baby or we'd be transfered to the hospital with an OB and bye bye homebirth).

It was hard keeping things going and when they REALLY kicked in that late evening (about 19 hours after they started being serious-ish) I was *exhausted* and baby was in a bad position and it was the LONGEST, most not-fun labor I've ever had. Long story short - he was a vaginal hospital birth (I had an epidural at that point - long story)... but I had been under a time crunch and had a medical need to have him asap so I did nipple stimulation - but I would not do that again unless faced with similar circumstances. It's just not really a "gee I'd love to repeat THAT again" experience.

So I am of the camp of "unless necessary, let them do their thing when they will". Now if you need to, you need to... but if you can let them come when they are really going to come, your body will not take so "long" to have your baby. Or at least that's my .02.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#5 of 13 Old 06-16-2008, 03:05 PM

I agree with BirthFree... my plan this time is to go to bed as soon as I feel it starting up b/c I want to have energy later With DS, as soon as it was "the real thing" I went into "work" mode and really tried to keep it going, though I'm sure I didn't have to. I was just excited anyway, labor was LONG and by the end I was very tired. This time I'm going to try to rest as much as I can before the hard work begins.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#6 of 13 Old 06-16-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I am kind of worried about pushing something a long that's not necessarily ready to happen. But now it is 2pm, I'm *still* contracting every 8-10 minutes, but nothing really hard core. My last labor started like this and lasted 48 hours. At hour 45 I gave in and did pitocin and an epi. So, imagining that this is the same scenario as that, I DO want to push these contrx along.

That said, I'm also having some bleeding that worries me. More than I had last time, so I'm starting to get a little concerned.
#7 of 13 Old 06-16-2008, 03:54 PM

Bleeding like a lot? Do you have a MW or provider to contact? Do you know that you don't have a low-lying placenta?

Thinking about you...

#8 of 13 Old 06-16-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I have called my doc's office a couple times about the bleeding. They seem very relaxed about it, so I am hoping it is ok. I just don't trust the OB as much as I trusted my midwives when I had my DD. I'm trying to keep close track myself and just trust my instincts.

Anyone know how much bleeding is normal and when there should be concern? I have a steady pinkish, sometimes red flow that's been coming for 12 hours now. But it isn't as heavy as the heavy days of my period.
#9 of 13 Old 06-16-2008, 07:21 PM

I dunno, I'd probably want to be seen. Keep us updated!
#10 of 13 Old 06-16-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
Well, I have called my doc's office a couple times about the bleeding. They seem very relaxed about it, so I am hoping it is ok. I just don't trust the OB as much as I trusted my midwives when I had my DD. I'm trying to keep close track myself and just trust my instincts.

Anyone know how much bleeding is normal and when there should be concern? I have a steady pinkish, sometimes red flow that's been coming for 12 hours now. But it isn't as heavy as the heavy days of my period.
I would be concerned about bright red blood...especially a steady flow of it. Are you planning to birth in a hospital? If so I would probably call L&D and see what they have to say about it.
#11 of 13 Old 06-16-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneM View Post
I agree with BirthFree... my plan this time is to go to bed as soon as I feel it starting up b/c I want to have energy later
That's my plan exactly. Birthing after 3 days with no sleep was NOT a fun experience.
#12 of 13 Old 06-16-2008, 08:10 PM

I'd also want to be checked if it's a bright red, steady flow. Will your OB see you just to give you peace of mind?

Keep us posted!
#13 of 13 Old 06-16-2008, 10:27 PM

Hmmm, steady flow would worry me some (but not so much if I knew where the placenta was, etc.)... pink or red tinged mucus or leaking amniotic fluid would not worry me *at all*. But flow... yeah... that doesn't sound super GOOD... but I can't see it so that's my across-the-screen thoughts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page