Postpartum Recommendations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-18-2008, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering what everyone's MW or OB has recommended for the postpartum recovery time. Did/Do they say no stairs, staying in bed for a set amount of time, etc.???
I'm asking because my mw wants me to stay on the second level for 2 weeks after baby is born. I definitely want time with my little babe and time for myself to rest and heal. Which I can see staying up in my room for a week or so, but 2 just seems so long. I'll have my mom here to help with ds, but I would love to be downstairs with them while she's here as well. MW seemed pretty strict about this.
What are your plans?
#2 of 12 Old 06-18-2008, 09:46 AM

Mine never told me anything like that. Maybe she knew I'd laugh and do what I wanted anyway. There's NO WAY I could have stayed put like that for a week, let alone two! I'd have gone insane! I spent all of Wed in labor, DS was born Thurs at 2am, and by Friday afternoon I needed to see the SUN. We went to TRU and out to dinner and it was so nice I didn't go nuts doing a lot of things, but I did what I felt like, listening to my body, my bleeding never got bad and was gone by a week pp, etc. so I feel like I did fine.

I think it's different for everyone and you should do what feels comfortable at the time. Definitely rest if YOU want to and feel it's right for you.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#3 of 12 Old 06-18-2008, 10:23 AM

I know my MWs recommed limiting stair walking, especially if you've torn and/or have stitches. But, they monitor bleeding and how your body feels as well, and generally recommend nothing strenuous, but activity w/in reason. There is no way I'd be able to stay in my room for 2 weeks! Nice idea in theory, but not going to happen for me.
#4 of 12 Old 06-18-2008, 11:16 AM

Luckily my house is all one level, but I will be taking it super easy for two weeks. I think the biggest thing is not doing too much. All your organs are floating around in there trying to get back into place. I have heard there is a much greater chance of uterine and/or bladder prolapse if you do too much in the immediate pp period. (Prolapse not showing up until you are in your 50's!) So, I figure, why not have a bunch of help and just take it easy. It's only a couple weeks. Also, of course, your lochia is a good indication of if you're doing too much. Your body will let you know.

Ask your mw why she recommends the long rest.
#5 of 12 Old 06-18-2008, 11:51 AM

My MW says 3 weeks...1 week IN bed, 1 week ON the bed, and 1 week AROUND the bed. Obviously it's tailored to your needs - I DEFINITELY needed this type of rest after DD's birth. I had a lot of healing to do - perineum, rectocele, blood loss, etc. This time w/ a toddler and an easier birth I don't see myself staying upstairs for 2 weeks. I still try to get as much rest as possible though.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#6 of 12 Old 06-18-2008, 12:34 PM

I think every mw is going to say something a little different. If I had a tear/stitch I would not be on those stairs for at least a week. I'd do little to nothing - it's so much easier to let the tear to some good healing as opposed to having to deal w/it for a few wks. b/c you didn't slow down.

Having said that, I couldn't stay upstairs for 2 solid wks. I get itchy after 1 wk. However, I learned last time that, although my mind and body feel "ready" (mainly b/c of boredom), I need to slow things down this time. I ended up w/mastitis last time and I attribute it to taking things too fast.

If you have a good, uncomplicated birth - you will likely feel fine immediately. Lots of people are up and at 'em right off the bat. That's fine but I think it's better to err on the side of caution. This is a time when, if you have support, you can really relax and do nothing and you should.
#7 of 12 Old 06-18-2008, 01:45 PM

With my vaginal births, I was shopping by day 2! I honestly could not imagine having to stay in bed for a week, let alone 2 or 3! However, recovering from my cesarean has given a new appreciation for "down time". That is, it has certainly been nice to have extra help, allowing me to sit and be with baby most of the day. But, I was still up and about within a day or two. At least walking around, doing some stairs. After a week, I was going crazy and had to get out of the house. Just monitor your bleeding, that always seems to be a good indication if you're doing too much.
#8 of 12 Old 06-18-2008, 03:58 PM

Mine says no stairs for 48 hours, no driving for 2 weeks, no sex for 6 weeks - not that I would want to do THAT!
#9 of 12 Old 06-18-2008, 04:24 PM

She just said "take it easy for a while." To me, that means no working out!

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#10 of 12 Old 06-18-2008, 04:41 PM

Interesting. I'll have to ask my midwife about pp recovery. My apartment is on the 3rd floor so I'm sure I'll catch h3ll trying to get upstairs after delivery. My mom and grandmother are firm believers in not leaving the house for 4 weeks and not taking the baby around people for 6. *shrugs* They are very old fashion but hey, I trust them. So looks like I'll be spending 5 weeks in the house.

Sidenote: When I had my breast reduction in college, my mom refused to let me come downstairs at home for a week. I spent 7 days upstairs while everyone else was downstairs having fun and I had to yell from the landing to talk to them.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#11 of 12 Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

So, I think I'll stay in bed as long as I can, but if I feel like going downstairs after a few days, then I will. I just have to be sure that I don't start picking up the house and such.
With ds I was pretty good at relaxing and spending time with him. It definitely will be different with a newborn and 3 yr old. Thank goodness my mom is coming to help out!!
#12 of 12 Old 06-19-2008, 02:28 AM

Mine just said no exercising and no sex, and take it easy. There's no way I could stay home - Logan is only a week old and he's already been out to stores, to playdates, etc... I'd go stark raving mad if I was stuck at home with a 2 year old and a newborn all day long!

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page