Last-minute (potentially) Bellycast? Help?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-19-2008, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this in another thread, too, but thought I'd start a new one in hopes that I'll get the quickest responses...

Assuming our baby stays in a little longer (feeling crampy), I, at the last minute, decided that I would desperately like to make a bellycast w/my DH tonight. However, we have never done one before and have no idea where to get the medical grade plaster gauze (or how much)? I've read the art store stuff can cause third degree burns. Can't have that! No time left to order a kit. Trying to do this last-minute and on a budget. Any suggestions you can share?

TIA so much!!! (Means a lot to me...wish I felt so strongly about this earlier, darn preggo emotions)
#2 of 9 Old 06-19-2008, 07:47 PM

the first cast I did I got the supplies at a medical supply store (like where you'd buy blue chux pads, for example). the second one we used art store casting supplies, and no burns here...weird. the packaging was essentially the same, and I imagine artists do a lot of body part casting for various purposes, so I'm not sure why it would cause burns.

HTH.
#3 of 9 Old 06-19-2008, 07:52 PM

I went to a medical supply store and bought the 5 - 7 min. setting plaster that is in rolls and is used for casting. I got 6 rolls but only used 4 on the belly cast I posted (the one on the right)... though I can see needing 5-ish rolls.

We set out a towel on the floor, got a warm bowl of water, I LATHERED myself up with massage oil anywhere the plaster was going to go (so that the plaster would not pull my hair out - ouch!), got a set of scissors, my DH cut a bunch of strips to go across my belly, over my shoulder and down, and we did a few for around the belly button, under the bbs and around the nip's (b/c those areas are hard to use a wide flat strip on... it doesn't work). Then just dip the strips or pieces into the water, kind of smooth off the extra water and apply.

It's ok if it's drying as you're adding more on top too. You will want to double layer everything so that it's thick enough to hold up well. You can smooth in the plaster on the strips to get a more even feel, but I'm going to paint mine too eventually, so it's fine to just leave it as is too... whatever you prefer.

Smooth down the edges and walah.

You can use Vaseline (I did last time) to keep the plaster from sticking but I didn't want the petroleum on my skin (absorbing) so I used massage oil this time - much easier to wash off too and I'm sure healthier...

Any questions I can help with or forgot to answer?

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#4 of 9 Old 06-19-2008, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much!!! No idea where to find a medical supply store that would still be opened today where we live (we're pretty new here), but another mom just told me that she recently used the stuff that Michael's sells and it worked fine.

I genuinely appreciate both of your responses. Thank you, thank you, thank you! The extra tips are great, BirthFree! Now my baby just needs to stay put another half day at least.
#5 of 9 Old 06-19-2008, 08:13 PM

It took about an hour maybe... you can get to it, I'm sure you can!

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#6 of 9 Old 06-19-2008, 08:15 PM

I used the stuff at Michaels. It was fine. I used one big roll per cast (two coats.) I did one in labor, it doesn't take long.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#7 of 9 Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 PM

*waves* Hi, M!!!

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#8 of 9 Old 06-20-2008, 11:18 AM

i used olive oil or safflower oil to rub down, too. still had some hair pulls lower down (ooooh), but what's that compared to labour, huh?

one thing I always found weird was that as it dries (which as birth free said is fine while completing it) is that it feels like it's starting to pull away from your skin. that's okay too, you might just want to have a hand somewhere to gently hold it in place while you're finishing up. W/ DS2's I added some after is was off in places that were too thin.
#9 of 9 Old 06-20-2008, 11:41 AM

If you haven't done it yet...

I have done tons of belly casts, and I have always used the stuff from the craft stores with great success. I also use a product from the health food store called UNpetroleum jelly. It has the same thickness as vaseline but is all natural and works really well to keep the cast from sticking to the skin.

I also cut the roll into 6" long strips, and use them for all the areas. You can cross them over one another and smooth them out on the belly/boobs gently as they are applied. Be sure to apply extra strips to the perimiter of the cast for support, and I also usually slide a few pieces under the boobs or you'll end up with holes/gaps in your cast. Last thing, it's better to have extra than not enough, so buy an extra roll and have it all cut up before starting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page