Bellybean *hates* EFM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2008, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone else has input on this. I went to L&D just recently, and throughout this pregnancy, I have been there about 4 times for various things. Whenever they put the fetal monitor on my belly, my baby has reacted very aggressively, almost in a panicky kind of way.

I went in one time for low fetal movement (after pulling a muscle while DTD ) and right when the EFM went on me, baby was kicking violently at the exact spot where it was touching my stomach. At first I was relieved to see her move, but after a few minutes it became worrisome. The kicks were hard and very uncomfortable for me, almost like she was trying to dislodge the thing from my belly. I noticed the exact same thing when I was at the hospital a few days ago, and it got me thinking that that sort of movement would be *really* uncomfortable right in the middle of labor...Also, I'm wondering if the EFM is somehow "harmful" to the baby...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2008, 10:38 AM

Well, I know when I had that thing on a few months ago when I fell at work and they sent me to L&D to check the baby, he kicked it the entire time. Hard. He also doesn't like it if I have pants on that are a bit too tight in the waste, he always pushes against it. It's pretty crowded in there right now, so any space being taken up by anything must make them pretty angry.
And you're right... it's NOT comfortable for labor. Do you have to have it on continuously at your hospital, or can you do it intermittently?
As far as whether or not it's safe.... I can't tell you that. I'm sure there are theories that it's not, but I don't think there's proof one way or another. Hope that helps! How you feeling?

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:44 AM

You don't have to have "the machine that goes PING" in your labour.

You can just say no and ask them to check instead with a pinnard stethescope. You don't even need to bring up "why", you can "JUST SAY NO!"

If they say they want in on in case there's a "problem" and try to guilt you, say if/when there IS a problem you'll address monitoring again from there. But so long as you are simply in labour and giving birth (totally natural and normal condition) you'd not like the EFM.

(I wouldn't want to be strapped down with it either in labour, gotta move around!)

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly1001 View Post
He also doesn't like it if I have pants on that are a bit too tight in the waste, he always pushes against it. It's pretty crowded in there right now, so any space being taken up by anything must make them pretty angry.
I used to get the same thing when I was still working at the bank and having to wear pantyhose or pants! Sheesh, I just thought my baby was the only one being demanding about her space

Quote:
Do you have to have it on continuously at your hospital, or can you do it intermittently?
The doula told me you can get away with just a 20 minute reading when you first get in and then you take it off.

Quote:
How you feeling?
Much better thanks! Still can't keep food down but at least my cold is almost gone. Yay for ginger tea!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twwly View Post
You don't have to have "the machine that goes PING" in your labour.
laughup gotta love monty python! even then they (men, no less) were poking fun at all of the silly and often unnecessary machinery "required" for birth.

in answer to your question: my bean has often been called the "hide-a-baby" by our midwives. no kicking the thing - thank goodness, that *does* hurt - but, even now he/she can move pretty far from the doppler when checking heartrate. I must admit, we do giggle at doppler kicks, though...they make a funny noise and the boys think it is hilarious!!! There is usually much discussion about whether or not the bean will kick the wand today or not on the way to the appt.!

Having said that, I've never had an EFM strapped on me, either. I imagine that would be way more uncomfortable...
Old 06-20-2008, 02:47 PM

in all my hospital births they do an initial reading for about 30 minutes and then you are free!! i say NO to so much at the hospital that was one small concession i made. sometimes, sad to say, we have to choose our battles.
but if you walk in ready, i mean REALLY ready to have the baby there wouldnt be time for any of that and i would think they would leave you alone and just let you push.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)

User Tag List