The 16 Contraction Birth Story... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2008, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's taken a bit to figure out a name and get some pictures downloaded... but we did it (and feel quite successful @ that small accomplishment - laugh!).

Our daughter, Jade Louise, was born Sunday June 22nd (on her due date!) @ 3:20am after an hour and six minutes of labor.

Labor started at 2:14 with the first contraction (that woke me). It had a stronger twinge than the contractions before this one did, but while it made me widen my eyes in a bit of surprise, I just waited... thinking maybe that was it. 11 minutes later I got another one... just as strong and had to concentrate to breathe - stronger now...

I flipped onto my hands and knees and sat quietly... 5 min. later another... stronger now again... I rocked, breathed, quiet and serene in my heart. I remembered that these were the last sensations I would share with my baby in this way. Again, I waited... 3 minutes passed and another, stronger still.

Breathing was working well but I needed to brush my teeth to freshen my breathe so I quickly climbed out of bed and made it about 10 steps before having another contraction... longer and still very strong from the start... I twisted my feet and swayed hanging onto the edge of the couch, not able to stand still. Finally it passed and I quickly made my way up the stairs - I quickly went to the bathroom and had a contraction there that took my breath away. I made the decision to check myself right away and felt at least 6 inches of bag and baby (oh my goshhhh!). I stomped on the floor to get my DH to come upstairs ASAP (he needed to call our doula and back-up MW - she is 2 hours away!). I had another contraction hanging onto the bathroom counter that absolutely made me gasp.

Ohhhhhh, things were getting intense!! I got onto my hands and knees with my head to the floor on a hand towel (whatever I could grab) and I breathed and swayed through another contraction (this is contraction #7) as best I could, but I was struggling to hold onto my sense of calm as the intensity and pressure just increased with each one. Evan came upstairs, washed his hands in the biggest hurry at my demand and felt the baby just 1/4 inch inside.

He called our doula (she is 15 min. away) and called our back-up MW immediately after... all the while I had two contractions and he pushed on my back where I told him (wow, it helped!), I started shaking uncontrollably, and after the second contraction while he was on the phone with the MW I said the f-word a few times and said, "There is no way in hel! that she's going to make it Babe!!" and immediately after realizing and saying that another contraction hit that no amount of pushing from him, adjusting his hands from me, or trying to crawl away from the pain did crap. Oh. My. Gosh.

I cried for a moment realizing the pressure and intensity that I was feeling RIGHT NOW meant in minutes we would be done. OH My GOSH...

I told Evan to fill the bathtub and get the shower curtain up NOW. I climbed over (still on my hands and knees and STILL having not brushed my teeth ) and enjoyed the bit of pause I felt from the last contraction... I'd stopped shaking...

I had contraction #11 and felt the pressure build - I half way pushed and felt it increase... but I was so loud and out of control sounding I was scaring myself (sigh) so I decided that was enough of that my dear, and turned it inward... quiet now I felt more in control, not as scared. The water running into the tub was strangely soothing but not high enough to give much relief, but it still helped. Next contraction I felt the pressure move down and knew it was soon - Evan set up the video camera and then left again (not sure what he was doing? Opening the door in case our doula made it?). Another contraction and I pushed, feeling it move from somewhat voluntary (as it relieved the pressure) to totally involuntary... the bag expanded in my hand to be as big as my palm and I blew out the rest of the push... I don't want to tear... slow it down... not all at once...

Evan was back in the bathroom and I asked him if he could see the bag, he said yes, but the water was not high enough (well, I couldn't get low enough without being in too much pain) to have the baby all the way in the water so I told him he was going to have to catch.

Next contraction hit and I pushed - WOAH the intensity!!!!! I just pushed... and I heard him say, "The head is out!!"... I'm thinking that wasn't hard or long enough to have been the head... so I ask, "the WHOLE head??"... "Yes! The bag is over the head still... (I could tell he was a little concerned). I told him, "We'll be ok, don't worry"... and while I'm waiting I feel him push the baby up - "Don't do that Hon!!" "Don't touch the baby!" (Of all the uncomfortable feelings, having a baby part in and part out and moving them is one of the biggest ones )... he says he's not doing it... baby is moving.

Next contraction and not a lot of resolve, baby hasn't turned either... I lift my left leg at Evan's suggestion and I feel baby make a strong movement, contraction on top of that one and I felt something give and the whole baby came out! I flipped over quickly and saw very obviously - LITTLE GIRL!!!

We lifted the bag up over her body and face so she could breathe, she made one squeak and went to quietly breathing and pinking up in my arms and the warm water...

PURE BLISS... Oh my gosh!!!
Our doula arrived 20 min. later...

She weighed 9lb 1oz (the next afternoon) and was 21.5 inches long. She is nursing great and fully has her Daddy around her finger (and her Papa), well, okay, we all are if I'm going to be totally honest.

It's amazing having a little lady here (we thought it might be a little girl, but what a great surprise that we were right!!), we're totally not used to it at ALL, but she's a cutie, I'm sure we won't complain about all that a little girl brings into the family.

She doesn't fit her newborn diapers yet... but hopefully soon!!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/...04e79f45a8.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/...9752d924b4.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/...567780086d.jpg

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 12:55 AM

Aw! She's precious!!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:59 AM

DDC crashing.

that is amazing, wow. and she's beautiful!! congrats mama!

: little jade!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:01 AM

Oh, she's amazingly gorgeous!!

THANK YOU so much for sharing your story!! I really needed to read an inspiring birth story today!!!!

You're amazing! I'm so awed by your strength!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:05 AM

What a story! She is absolutely beautiful!! Congratulations again!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:10 AM

One of the most amazing birth stories I've ever read. Wonderful. Congratuations, again. Your story suits your MDC name!!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:16 AM

Wow, again! Enjoy your first little princess! (I know that feeling!) She shares a birthday with my DH.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
not in your ddc, but wanted to say she is gorgeous and your pictures are beautiful, Im in the NW and looking for a UC friendly person to take some pics at our birth?????!!!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:49 AM

Wow, what an amazing story, congratulations! She is absolutely beautiful!!!

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 AM

So adorable!
What a great birth story. I'm so happy for you and your family!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 06-24-2008, 09:33 AM

Thank you Birthfree! Your story brought tears to my eyes. You're a total inspiration and your baby girl is gorgeous
Old 06-24-2008, 10:18 AM

what a story!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:23 AM

Wow! Awesome story Congrats on your daughter
Old 06-24-2008, 10:31 AM

WOW! Congrats!

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
Old 06-24-2008, 11:00 AM

Great birth story!!
My second was 1hr 50 min of birth so I can just go there with you sister! It's almost like "We have a baby?! What?!" So amazing. And she is soooo cute!

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
Old 06-24-2008, 11:01 AM

Great birth story!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:33 AM

Amazing birth story! And such a beautiful girl!!! Congrats!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:33 AM

Wow! That's amazing. She's beautiful!

Congratulations!

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
Old 06-24-2008, 11:47 AM

She is beautiful!!

Thank you for sharing her birth story- amazing!

Quoteriginally Posted by aswbarry~A~ Mama to DD 6y, DD , DD 3y and DD 1y
Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 PM

Thanks for posting your amazing story - Jade is beautiful!

Widowed mummy to T 6/08 and a crazy blue dog

Old 06-24-2008, 12:49 PM

I've been waiting for your story! Amazing!!

BTW, how long were your other births? I know the last was 1.5 hrs. right? I had a 2 3/4 hr. and a 1 3/4 hr. and a 6 hr. Your story makes me scared to leave the house!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:12 PM

From July...

WOW! What a GREAT birth story! TOTALLY amazing! You GO momma!! And Jade is just beautiful! Congrats to you and welcome baby Jade!

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
Old 06-24-2008, 01:47 PM

she's beautiful, congratulations
Old 06-24-2008, 03:46 PM

Wow! What a story!

Congratulations!

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

toh
Thanks SO much ladies!!!!!!! I have SO enjoyed reading your responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfinbaby View Post
I've been waiting for your story! Amazing!!

BTW, how long were your other births? I know the last was 1.5 hrs. right? I had a 2 3/4 hr. and a 1 3/4 hr. and a 6 hr. Your story makes me scared to leave the house!
1st was 38+ hours.
2nd was 9 hours.
3rd was 1.5 hours.

The last 2 were planned UCs (good thing!)... but I'm not sure if they were fast partially BECAUSE they were UC and we had so much less fear in the moment, or IN SPITE of that (ie. we were lucky we *had* planned them UC b/c they would have been either way).

I knew I would not go into labor during the day this time...

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Old 06-24-2008, 06:13 PM

I love your story!!

And, freakily, I think our babies look a lot alike! I showed your pics to my dd and dh and they both thought it was Juniper!!

This isn't the best photo to compare. I'll try to take one later and see what you think!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:59 PM

Wow, Congratulations!!!!

I am just about to type up our story and couldn't help but think: total opposite! I am really happy for you and I think your daughter is gorgeous!

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

Old 06-25-2008, 01:05 AM

she is beautiful!

Anna ~ Mom to Ansel (6-17-08), Wife to Mac since 12-18-04, human companion to Cayley.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:47 AM

Great story. She is Beautiful. Congrats.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:01 PM

Thanks for getting back, BF. I know you're busy

This is our first uc - there's just no rhyme or reason to my speedy births. We'll see how things unfold!

User Tag List